12. Walk Away

12. Walk Away

A Chapter by Sarah
"

Song by Ben Harper. Drew meets a new girl and Kate being jelous tries to interfere.

"
It had been a week since the scene at Kate’s window and ahead she was smiling and laughing with Derek and Danielle. I walked and tried to ignore her but she noticed me.

“Hey Kate.” She looked me over and looked almost sad.

“Drew how are you doing?” I just shrugged my shoulders.

“I’m doing alright. Better.” I saw a small smile flit across her face.

“You look good, see you changed the hair up?” I could hear a hint of disappointment in her voice but I shrugged it off. I had to move on she obviously did.

“I see you have a boyfriend now.” She looked down at her shoes and I turned to Derek.

“I’m Drew.” I extended my hand.

“I know who you are.” I lowered my hand and my eyes and saw their hands clasp; it was like a stab to the gut. Kate saw the look of pain in my eyes and I thanked god that Ivy showed up.

“Drew we got to get home.” I turned and saw she looked a bit frightened. I turned to Kate.

“It was good seeing you again.” I walked past her with Ivy.

“Drew!” I turned with a fake smile plastered on my face.

“What?” She came over to me and hugged me. She whispered in my ear.

“I’m glad your ok.” I just backed from her, shook my head and walked off with my sister. Ivy was worried I could tell but I couldn’t let it get to me.

“I am fine Ivy.” I stopped and sat on the stonewall near the park.

“I just never know, I mean it seems like her and Derek hit it off… ok sorry wrong thing to say.” She must have noticed the look on my face.

“She deserves to be happy, obviously I couldn’t do that for her.” I looked across the way and there was a pretty brunette carrying a lot of shopping bags. I turned to my sister and pointed at the girl. She handed me the keys.

“Go I will cover with mom, just no stunts.” I smiled and ran across the street.

“Hey do you need some help?” The girl turned around a bit startled and frightened. I motioned to her bags. She graciously handed a few over.

“Thank you, I walked into town not realizing how far it actually was.” A lot of people made that mistake.

“Its alright. I could give you a lift if you would like.” She eyed me over.

“I don’t even know your name stranger.” I smiled at her.

“I’m Drew, Drew Dawson.” Her smile was inviting warm.

“Well Drew that would be great. Where is your car.” We walked along Main Street and I stopped out side the Salon and I helped her put the things into the trunk. I saw Sally in the window giving me thumbs up.

“This is your car!” I laughed.

“I guess. Is there any other place you wanted to go?” She looked hesitant.

“Well I was hungry.” I smiled and shut the door.

“I think I know just the place to go.” I led her down the street to the diner where everyone hung out. We walked in and a few people looked up. I had begun to talk to people that I knew as Jan before I turned and tried to kill my self a few of the guys looked up.

“Hey Drew!” I looked over to Dan, he still often asked to Jan but as far as they knew, Jan was spending her senior year over seas.

“Hey dude.” I led the mystery girl over to a booth.

“So beautiful, what is your name?” She looked over the menu and I was met with one of the most shocking pair of green eyes I’ve ever seen.

“Roxie Mitts.” This beauty captivated me.

“Cute name.” I teased she put down her menu.

“Have an issue with it?” I laughed at her faux anger.

“Not at all, its fitting. You seem to have a firework personality.” Dang was I really flirting. I looked over a few booths and Kate was giving me a death glare.

“So where are you from Roxie?” I sat back when our orders came to the table.

“Vermont, up in Montgomery its close to Canada.” I smiled.

“Any where near Jay peak?” She nodded.

“Yeah, you been there?” I shook my shoulders and bit into my burger.

“Sure I have, I like to snowboard.” She looked ecstatic. I glanced over to Kate who just kept shaking her head. I gave her a look to back off. I turned back to the new girl and just picked up on conversation. I was getting ready to pay the bill since I had to get home sometime and Kate came up to the table.

“Kate not now.” I told her firmly, but she ignored me and turned to Roxy.

“Careful, this one will toy you along and then try to kill him self.” I stood and grabbed her arm and dragged her off.

“What the hell are you doing?” I whispered angrily, my grip on her arm never lessened.

“Telling her the truth Drew.” She spoke my name with such venom.

“Do you want me to be miserable? I’m trying to move on, looks like you already have or are you toying him along to?” She looked like what I said was a punch to the gut.

“I am not toying him along, at least he is making an honest man out of him self.”

“What are you talking about?”

“He is a real man.” Let go of her arm with a little shove.

“Good to know your true colors, good to know that you are nothing more than a little b***h.” Her hand slapped me hard and I saw Derek stand. I walked over to Roxy and took her hand.

“Lets go.” I led her out to the car and she was silent until I asked where she lived.

“Who was she?” I looked out the window as I started the short drive.

“An old friend.”

“What did she mean about toying along then killing your self.” I showed her my arm.

“Two weeks ago, I was messed up. Kate and I had this thing where we danced around each other, yah know. I liked her she liked me yet I never made a move. Then right before I went to kill my self I kissed her and left her. She is pretty pissed off at me.” Roxy gave a short laugh.

“Only pretty?” I sighed.

“Look what I did, I wasn’t my self. I want you to know that I never plan on doing that again.” I cut the engine at her drive way.

“So she is a little jealous?” I sighed and shrugged my shoulders.

“I don’t see why, I went the day I got out of the hospital to see her not even two days later and she is already in the arms of another, still is.” Her hand rested on mine that was now angrily clenching the steering wheel.

“Hey, don’t let her get in the way of your happiness. If she can throw you away that fast then she is not worth it.” She made to get out of the car and I followed her. I helped her with a few bags and we entered her house. It was pretty normal, boxes were still piled high. I set the bags down on the counter and she smiled to me.

“Thank you Drew.” It was genuine. I smiled at her and made a flourished motion.

“Your welcome my lady.” She started to giggle.

“So will I ever see you around again?” I rubbed my chin as if to think about it and she slapped my cast. She must of hit one of the rugged parts because she held her hand if stung.

“Sorry should of warned you it was a bit rough.” I took her hand in mine and gently massaged it. She looked down shyly.

“To your question I guess you will see me around.” She looked up and then took my cast and a sharpie. She wrote her number on it.

“There now you have no excuse to not call me.” I laughed at her spunk, in truth I felt good better than I had in a while. I made my way back to her front door and I waved as I drove off. I picked up my cell phone and called Ivy.

“You still out and about?”

“No I am at home now bro you on your way?” I looked at the clock and it was already 4:30.

“Yeah I will be home soon.” I hung up and looked at the background of my phone, it was of Kate and I. I found my self dialing her number and calling her.

“What do you want?” It sounded like she had been crying.

“To apologize for earlier. How did we go from best friends to hating each other?” I heard her sniff and I just listened to her steady breathing.

“I don’t like being angry with you but you looked so happy I was jealous.” I sighed.

“Did you think I would wait for you? Kate you stabbed my heart out when you walked away. Maybe being separated is what we need.” I heard her choke back a sob and I found tears in my eyes.

“I don’t know any more Drew.” I was wiping at my eyes.

“You seemed happy with Derek.”

“He isn’t you.” I laughed.

“I’m sorry Kate, I probably will always be but just know if you ever need me I will be there for you.”

“Goodbye Drew.” I hung up the phone and was more confused than ever. I walked into the kitchen and my mother was about to start on me.

“Mom, not now.” I walked up to my room and just packed up everything old. I had to completely change my space.



© 2011 Sarah


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
Added on February 7, 2011
Last Updated on February 7, 2011


Author

Sarah
Sarah

Canada



Writing
Moment. Moment.

A Poem by Sarah


... ...

A Poem by Sarah


Mistakes Mistakes

A Story by Sarah