Facade of Living

Facade of Living

A Poem by Frieda P

I wonder why they can't SEE clearly when
everything's been written in terminal code
Dead, long before that last breath of life
was snuffed, inhaling just for show
hanging in the shadows for years, not hours
buried under the rubble long before the avalanche
no one noticed the earth was shifting, or
they ignored the quietude of pleading screams
 beneath breathing's precious facade of living 

© 2013 Frieda P


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My dear, you've made a habit of writing things that just strike me to the bone. This piece is highly reflective about a lot of things that have been on my mind for the last while. You just have a way of expressing these things that is unparalleled. Awesome work as always :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Benji, sorry you can relate my friend, jazzed you enjoyed :-)
kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

Anytime Mrs.R :)



Reviews

God...this hits hard and rightly so...you devour your readers hon, in a good way lol ♥

Posted 10 Years Ago


In short, most people see what they want to see. It is not a pretty observation. But it is true. An expressive poem written by your heart. --David

Posted 10 Years Ago


One of the things I enjoy most about your writing Frieda, is that you have the ability to draw the reader into your words and allow them to feel what you are feeling. This poem feels deeply personal and sad and yet...quite brave. I enjoyed it very much.

:) Julie

Posted 10 Years Ago


Amazing artwork and poetry. I took many poetry classes. I would love to take the poem apart. I feel struggle and internal thoughts in the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago



... I wonder why they can't SEE clearly when
everything's been written in terminal code...
... beneath breathing's precious facade of living...
I love those lines. I dearly hope my life and those whom I love will not end in this tragic way, lacking of body or mind, just a breathing shell. Such an elegant piece Frieda!


Posted 10 Years Ago


When I apply this poem to my own life I weep Frieda. It scares me to my very core. I recently listened to a piece about the life of Jack London who died at 40. He said I would rather be ash than dust and there are times I feel I am merely dust. Your poem, as always, drives home a punch with the brush of your exquisite poetic language.

Posted 10 Years Ago


How many people live like this? A smile on the face while the walls are tumbling down on the inside. Is this really living? I don't think so. Very astute observations of the human condition in this one. Beautifully presented too. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Grazie mille Lydi, much appreciate your thoughts here.
This is fine writing.....a sad reflection that feels very personal, but says so much more - politically, and of society. Well done, hun. P.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks sweet P, it's definitely personal, but I'm also glad you read so much more into it...it's all.. read more
A lot of people have thoughts like these, including myself, but you found a way to balance the poem marvelously. Its not just rough, unsharpened thoughts, its very precise - every toe in line if you know what I mean. I'm happy that you didn't run away with too many emotional words; you not only had a splendid train of thought but then managed to step away dispassionately and organize it into the diamond it is. Cheers.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your visit and such a gracious review, much appreciated shehr bano.....
Wow Frieda, you always seem to garner many positive reviews and this piece is no different. You must be beaming.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks Pete, of course I do love it, don't we all want our words read as poets, thanks for the read,.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1744 Views
49 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 19, 2013
Last Updated on October 20, 2013
Tags: shadows, death, life, breath, ignorance, facade

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..