Old Woman Reflections

Old Woman Reflections

A Poem by Frieda P
"

Seems no matter what time of day, she's always sitting in that window....

"
The best years behind her now
kids running to and fro no more
wonder what's in store for 
this old women and her shoes
deep set eyes of wisdom
darkly shadow'd, begs for more
sits at the window of destiny
a cooled cup of tea leaves
gently grins as strangers pass
I counter a polite smile back,
makes me ponder how much longer/
before I'm window'd in that reflective view

© 2013 Frieda P


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I liked this one a lot, Frieda. She looks like someone in need of a friend to enjoy her morning tea with. How many lonely older people sit at windows and watch the world go by - too many I'm afraid. We all will end up at that window someday, if we're lucky, I guess.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I think so Joyce, I don't know her at all, just see her face at that window every time I pass, gets .. read more



Reviews

great perception in this one Frieda. The voyeur inside all of us observes the unsuspecting,
until the unsuspecting becomes us.

well done.
dana

Posted 10 Years Ago


Very delicate and perceptive poem. None escape that window... but isn't that better than never to have gotten there? Frieda you are a genius. xD

Posted 10 Years Ago


She looks like the perfect Nonna, dear, I had one in Italy like her... (from my friend). She lived in the same high appartment, and looked always like this over her balcony edge, made me fly back in the times, of Taranto, and Bari.... lovely short poem Frieda. :)

- Elisa

Posted 10 Years Ago


Smiles, we take what we seen and smile back, and I am sure it gets that time will do the same:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ha!
The firs thing I thought was, "How the heck could Frieda know anything about how and old woman could feel?" ;)
Your best years are ahead of you I think.
Also, the darkness behind the "window'd" woman is only a veil hiding the eternal youth of an infinite life beyond this world... Old age here is like the dry out remains of the cocoon left behind by a chrysalis transforming into the butterfly.
But what do we know if such things? We are young and full of life still, you and I and all poets who yet wield their creativity.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I'm pretty sure I'll be that woman one day...hope I'll be smiling at passerby's as well. If I'm lucky a few people will smile back.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I guess I'm one of these women, and I'm alone...but not lonely...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ah, yes, if we are fortunate, we will be that old woman gazing at the world through a window one day. She waits for a smile from a passerby....you gave her a gift. What a warm write. Your compassion is touching. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


Simply superb my sweet friend. This poem to me was like watching an old black and white movie...the kind that made you cry in the end. This woman you described seems very lonely to me and I am sure your smile is the highlight of her day...it would be mine. Very well written Frieda, your heart shines through in this piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This poem flows so well and is full of pathos, let age not diminish but increase our respect !

Lots of character and humanity in this Frieda, top write once more 100% as always from me !

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

722 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 3, 2013
Last Updated on November 3, 2013

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..