~the thunder of history in her eyes

~the thunder of history in her eyes

A Poem by Frieda P
"

Inspired by art _ Old Woman Who Loved Pigeons by Judy Somerville

"
grasp of cold fingers touch
                within a warm humbl'd heart,
    speaks through blurred cataract’d vision
her aging world now seems small & inconsequential
     yet her stories are larger than the universe,
extend'd years lived to their fullest purpose
                never rest'd on her laurels
  even way back when women were tied to the kitchen
          she made her voice heard,
 albeit now a bit shaky & wavering 
    within her embolden'd apron strings
                unfold'd upon secrets,
           impart'd a million trial test'd smiles, 
held joy in her hands,
        aside her share of sadness in her heart
dealt with loss,  paid the piper plenty,
    revel'd in her golden glory days too
her hushed words nonetheless powerful,
    wisdom beyond compare, and then some to spare
    each earn'd wrinkle etch'd 
                    tells a story of intrigue, 
If you listen closely, with intent, you can still hear 
         the thunder of history in her eyes...

© 2014 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ah, Frieda... this was my first tasty treat from the Cafe this morning... I even listened to the lovely song (first... ) before I read your even lovelier words. Grandmother's (was this about yours in part?) are special beings--grown from long experience with all sorts of life's weather.

I was a lucky boy... I knew all my grandparents and seven of eight of my great grandparents, but my mom's mother... Maw Ruby was beyond priceless. Your poem has that gentle grandmother swag (my new favorite word... stolen from my middle school daughter) it waltzed into my mind and danced with my memories of her, Thanks so much for sharing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Sadly, I never knew either, they lived in Italy, I finally met one when I visited, and she was in su.. read more



Reviews

Let that thunder roll... This is a gorgeous tribute to our seasoned citizens, Frieda.

her aging world now seems small & inconsequential
yet her stories are larger than the universe...

Something people don't realize in youth, but that becomes more clear as time passes. Wonderful.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This was wonderful Frieda P. Very reflective, soft and heart felt. I really enjoyed this one today. You have writing the essence of the feelings that painting portrays.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I love the whole package, song, picture and poem.
it's stunning for someone who hasn't known her grandmas to come up with such a moving poem.
I'm awed by your mastery. but then, that's what a poet is, right? :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


one of your best .. i have a very healthy aunt .. lives by herself with a little help from her friends at 107 yrs old .. i want to send this gorgeous deeply felt tribute to her if i may .. these are the things we need to tell our elders before they are gone .. wishing my G-ma and pa were still here .. i would touch those etched wrinkles like reading braille .. beautiful beautiful poem
E.


Posted 9 Years Ago


When I see an old woman I see an entire history book with many stories and legend . That's probably why the granny stories remains in memory through out the life.
Loved your words as always.

Posted 9 Years Ago


A face tells a story. Thank you for reminding me that the wisdom, experience and stories held by our seniors and even our ancestors are true treasures. I love that final line and "the thunder of history in her eyes" - absolutely priceless. Wonderful poetry. Penny

Posted 9 Years Ago


Chills.... You have touched my heart in the most nostalgic way with this enchanting trip down memory lane.. This has melded your magical words and my precious memories to create this lovely captivating imagery that has overwhelmed my soul...

"within her embolden'd apron strings/unfold'd upon secrets"----takes me back to her kitchen with her in her apron dusted with love and a little flour, the scents of home, her sweet, loving smile as she would kiss my cheek and have me help her while telling me secrets of her childhood.. She was always so tender and wise.. She warmed my heart and made me feel such love and wonder at her.. She was the smartest woman I have ever known and taught me the beauty of a loving soul.. She was also the toughest spirit I knew.. She never had to raise her voice, everyone respected her and she could easily strike fear into the hearts of the grown men.. She taught me what it was to be a lady.. To always been considerate and compassionate.. To put your whole heart in what you do, to always make time for family, and to always say yes ma'am and no sir... she taught me to appreciate the small things, enjoy the beauty in life, and to cherish those whom you love.. You are such a talented writer ma'am.. There are no words to express just how much you touch me with your words and your spirit..

Posted 9 Years Ago


Really good poem to go with this image. I love the photos of old people, with their histories in their eyes.

Posted 9 Years Ago


'wisdom beyond compare, then some to spare.' Those words say it all for me, The whole poem is a reminder of how much we owe the older generation and how we should never forget that nothing is a substitute for experience, and above all, we must always listen.

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


// dealt with loss, paid the piper plenty,
revel'd in her golden glory days too
her hushed words nonetheless powerful,
wisdom beyond compare, and then some to spare //

Your imagery and wording took me to a whole other world tonight, the music was perfect, the poem was utterly breath taking. You know I am so close to my Gran, I have no clue what I would do without her now, she has been the number one woman in my life since I was a child and losing her would be like losing most of myself. She is so special to me and holds the biggest place in my heart. My Gran used to be a dancer, she taught dance for many years and gave it up to watch my brother and I some days then she took cancer and the treatment damaged her lungs but she never gave up, she is the strongest person I know and if I could be like her and you, I would be so happy - You are both and inspiration and I admire you both.

I adore this one... sorry for my rambling. 100 hugs and sighs... xo

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

878 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on July 20, 2014
Last Updated on July 20, 2014
Tags: elderly, history, thunder, past, heart, loss, golden days, wisdom, intent

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..