~Life in abstention

~Life in abstention

A Poem by Frieda P
"

_“If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.” Mahatma Gandhi

"
  hung your suicidal smile around our necks,
   branded the skin, tucked it in shirt pockets
took a leap off the ledge of abysmal distortion,
  sucked the marrow from the bones 
                   of shattered bystanders  
choking on the bloody tears of life in abstention
   dripping in assimilation's destined antagonism 
feasting on the afterlife's apocalyptic rewards
   remaining ashes scattered on epic wind's archives
        as bookmarked collectible's blinded keepsakes
written in braille contrition
                    of recall's token heavy heart 


© 2014 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Holy Hell... this reached out and punched me in the gut... I am honestly speechless.. This one hurt... Makes me want to reach out and give you the biggest hug ever... seriously.... so powerful and intense... the pain sears into our soul and brands our hearts forever leaving us to choke on our tears and blindly try to rustle through the ashes to find our way out of the black hole that we find ourselves in.. but that light is up there, may not seem like it sometimes.. but it is... damn... this one hit me hard... sorry still reeling over here ma'am...

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Ha it was fine the first few times, after 50 it was way too much & starts to grate on your nerves ;)
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

awwwww... it still makes me chuckle... guess, I got more patience for the bird...
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Patience is a virtue I don't possess muchly. .....



Reviews

Freida this just made me cry!! It hurt a lot!! :(... there are some who can't take it anymore.they have gone through much. Your words are so heartfelt.i know it hurts you to write this.But a wounded heart bleeds beautiful words.. The words took me to a whole total different level.i was once on a verge to lose my bestie, i will now show her your poem.I guess you are in gloomy mood.But this mood gives us wonderful poems.Hope you smile soon chica.miss that sizzling and smiling doll. XX.. :)

~Sophy

Posted 9 Years Ago


The tension of a taken life taking its tolls on the survivors is heavy and grievous in this piece, and you convey the mourning of the aforementioned life very poignantly. Life in abstention, refusing to take part of life and avoiding it altogether, only to have the loved ones gather around and illustrate the world with memories of the now gone, ensuring that they will never be forgotten. Well done and poignant piece indeed.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sorry it took me a bit to get to this one love...connection issues, plus a few minutes to gather my thoughts, as much as I can gather them after a piece such as this...between your poem, the quote, and the song, I feel like going back to bed...I am overwhelmed with emotion as I try to take in these words...it's taken me like five minutes just to type this much, let alone comment on the poem...I knew this was gonna be a sensitive day...the first line was like a piano landing on me...these words are just so disturbingly real...you bear your soul on a regular basis, but this one feels like you're taking it off like a piece of clothing in a heat wave and putting it under a cold shower...this is a phenomenal poem Frieda...I join April in giving you the biggest, tightest hugs I can..xo

Posted 9 Years Ago


19 years old and I recall the night like watching actions on screen. As though my mind was not connected to my eyes, but an existential omnipotent eye in the corner of bathroom. Filling a coffee mug full of little submarines, and swallowing them down with a tall glass of guilt enriched consequence.

This is night i will never forget. This is night i will never repeat.

Some attempts are not completed. Some get a second chance. In that second chance we realize how we affect people, and who it is that affects us. The second chancers are the lucky ones, but we are the anomaly.

Really good writing here, it opened up some old wounds, let them bleed a little bit. Helped me remember never to forget.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

My word Cory, I have chills reading this, so thankful you weren't successful, wish I could say that .. read more
Frieda, this is such a sad sad piece wrapped in such beautiful words.
I think you've had a rough week sweetheart. xo
You'll write something cheery soon no doubt but these words are a good reality check for all of us.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Nooooo, don't do that, the only places to hide are the gym and the bathroom if you're lucky. ;)
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

Lol! Ok. I'll keep it.
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Smart move, as muchly as we adore our kids to pieces, even saints need a break haha
Holy Hell... this reached out and punched me in the gut... I am honestly speechless.. This one hurt... Makes me want to reach out and give you the biggest hug ever... seriously.... so powerful and intense... the pain sears into our soul and brands our hearts forever leaving us to choke on our tears and blindly try to rustle through the ashes to find our way out of the black hole that we find ourselves in.. but that light is up there, may not seem like it sometimes.. but it is... damn... this one hit me hard... sorry still reeling over here ma'am...

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Ha it was fine the first few times, after 50 it was way too much & starts to grate on your nerves ;)
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

awwwww... it still makes me chuckle... guess, I got more patience for the bird...
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Patience is a virtue I don't possess muchly. .....
My Lady you never cease to write such heartfelt and poignant histories about this sad, sad event. Brittle metaphors that screach like finger nails down the blackboard.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

I was trying to write something bright and cherry but my ink refused after hearing that Robin Willia.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

516 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 12, 2014
Last Updated on August 12, 2014

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..