Chapter Three Princess Loreena: What Happened to Hector

Chapter Three Princess Loreena: What Happened to Hector

A Chapter by Haley Lynn Thomas

            The next morning Princess Loreena awoke slowly and stretched in her bed. Sunlight streamed in through her open windows. She blinked away sleep and gazed down at herself. Her eyes focused on her left ring finger, and the dragon ring that sat upon it.

            Memories from the previous night came flooding back to her, and she was filled with an intense and immediate sense of guilt and regret. She was betrothed.

            There was a knock on her door then.

            "Come in," She called.

            In bustled Grace with the Princess's breakfast on a tray. She smiled at the Princess, but it did not quite reach her eyes. She set the tray down on the table beside the Princess's bed.

            "I heard of your betrothal to Hector Ira." Grace greeted her. "I suppose congratulations are in order. Are the rumors he presented you with a ring true?"

            Princess Loreena held up her hand for her servant to inspect. Grace eyed the ring and nodded her approval.

            "Are you happy, Loreena?" Grace inquired of her.

            The Princess swallowed, her throat dry. "Yes." She said, because it was what she was supposed to say; it was what she was supposed to be feeling.

            Grace's gaze was skeptical.

            "Hector is a wonderful." She said, because it was true.

            "He is." Grace agreed.

            "I think I've made a mistake." She confessed.

            Grace sighed. She sat down on the Princess's bed. The mattress sagged beneath their combined weight. She took the Princess's hands into her own and stroked their backs with her thumbs.

            "The Queen has invited Hector to dinner tomorrow night; she plans to announce your betrothal to the entire court then." Grace informed the Princess. "I'll support you in whatever you choose, Loreena, but don't flee from marriage simply because you're afraid. Promise me that you won't."

            Princess Loreena nodded in silent agreement, but her mind had already been made.

...

            The Princess agonized over how to tell both her grandmother and Hector that she'd had a change of heart. She still hadn't formulated a proper plan when Grace came knocking once again and stuffed her into another oversized gown and leading her done to the castle's dining hall. She was welcomed with applause, but immediately noted that a key person was absent from the room. Hector wasn't there.

            Hector had always been punctual. He was both disrespecting his betrothed and the royal family with his tardiness, and he was never impolite. The Noors and their company sat around the table and waited for him as their steaming dinners cooled. 

            Where is Hector? Was the unspoken question. The previous day Hector had pledged his everlasting love to the Princess. Why would he have done that and then not come to dinner? Was it nerves? No, she decided, that couldn't be it. He wasn't frightened of the beasts, and they were much more intimidating than the Noor family.

            The Princess retired to her bed chambers early that night. Her family offered her apologies and reassurances, but she wasn't interested in any of them. She hung her head and trudged down the hall. She collapsed onto her bed and began to uncharacteristically sob into her pillows. She should have been relieved, but her pride had been deeply wounded. And she had to admit that her disappointment was not entirely superficial. She fell asleep cursing Hector's name and the influence he held over her

...

            Over the next week, Princess Loreena did not see or hear from Hector. On Thursday, hoping against hope, she sat in her favorite plush chair in the library, curled up with Dragon Tales, the book he'd written for her and given to her as a thirteenth date of birth present. It consisted of a series of fictional tales revolving around the dragons.

            She tried to read, but the words kept blurring. She was waiting for Hector to come and fall down onto his knees and apologize for standing her up, or at least to offer some explanation. As with the announcement dinner, he never arrived.

            Hector had never missed one of their sessions, and they'd been meeting together in the castle library every Thursday for the past four years. That was when the Princess's anger turned to worry...To fear for her betrothed's wellbeing.

            The next morning she decided to visit the home he shared with his mother, Marta. If he was there, she would demand answers. If he wasn't...Then she would continue her search until she found him. If only so she could ensure he was safe and then end their betrothal. Her grandmother wouldn't complain. Hector had thoroughly humiliated her family.

            As she made her way to the Ira home, the Princess paused frequently to exchange pleasantries with the commoners she came passed. When she'd told a baker of her destination, he'd given her a loaf of freshly baked bread and told her to give it to Marta, along with an invitation to sup with him the next Saturday.

            Princess Loreena had accepted the bread and promised him she would pass along the message, though she sincerely doubted Marta would accept. Hector's father, Hoyt, had died several years previous. The couple had been wed for over three decades, a longer period even than the Princess's grandparents.

            Princess Loreena finally reached the cottage where Hector and Marta lived on the outskirts of the kingdom and knocked on their door. It was opened by a teary eyed Marta, who greeted her and motioned for her to enter before shutting the door and turning all of the locks.

            Princess Loreena sat down at the kitchen table and set the bread down on top of it. Marta sat down across from her and rubbed viciously at her eyes.

            "You're here about Hector, I assume." The older woman stated.

            Princess Loreena nodded and swallowed. Her chest tightened.

            "I haven't seen him in days." Marta sobbed. "Not since he left for the ball. I had hoped he was with you?"

            The Princess shook her head. "No, but I think I have an idea of where he went." She said.

            "Where?" Marta cried. She lurched forward in her seat and grasped the Princess's hands tightly. Her eyes were wild.

            "Landron Oscowel captured the unicorns." Princess Loreena explained, her voice infinitely calmer than she felt. "I'm certain in my conviction that he went to rescue them. He mentioned such the night of our betrothal. He made me promise that I would not infer ere; that I wouldn't become involved. He was concerned for my safety." It only occurred to her as she spoke the words that it must have been what had occurred.

            "He did what?" Marta screeched. "And you allowed him to? Did you even attempt to stop him?"            

            "I'm going to find him, and I'll bring him home." Princess Loreena swore to Marta. She would locate Hector, that was the truth, but the second half was a lie. She intended to join him on his mission, whether he wanted her there or not.

            "If Hector went hunting for Landron, then he may be in trouble. I don't want you getting mixed up with Corosonian traders." Marta said. "You should send guards out in search of him."

            "Don't worry about me, Misses Ira." Princess Loreena said. "I can look after myself. My grandfather taught me how." She reached into the hidden pocket in her dress and touched the small knife that she'd carried with her constantly ever since her grandfather had gifted it to her on their first escapade into the Netherwood Mountains.

            Marta released the Princess's hands with a sigh. "Be careful." She cautioned. She sounded so weary. Her red curls were limp. There were heavy bags under her dark blue eyes and deep lines in her forehead. Her entire face was etched with grief; grief the Princess prayed was premature.

            "I will be." Princess Loreena vowed. She was exhausted from the marking of promises she had no intention of keeping.

...

            The Princess decided to borrow a horse from the Lenhart Ranch.

            She'd told the guards at the gates that she had scheduled a riding lesson at the Ranch, and they'd accepted her false story. The Princess had spent a good portion of her childhood on the Ranch riding horses, and whenever her grandfather, in the time before his crippling illness and eventual death, had taken her and her cousins into the mountains, they would borrow horses from the Ranch.

            When she knocked on the door, it was Stefan who answered. He grinned widely at the sight of her. Annora appeared a moment later, and offered the Princess a faint smile. Though they were four years apart in age, they looked like twins. Both were tall, pale, and thin, with long dark hair and bright blue eyes.

            The awkwardness that had resulted from Keeva and Annora's disastrous relationship was why Princess Loreena rarely visited the Ranch anymore. Sometimes Annora would inquire about Keeva with a longing in her tone that told the Princess she still had feelings for her. Keeva, meanwhile, had forgotten all about Annora. It was as though one day her feelings had simply vanished.

            "Welcome to the Ranch, Loreena." Stefan greeted her. "Are you here to ride?" He assumed.

            Princess Loreena shook her head. "No." She said. "I'm here because I need to borrow a horse."

            Stefan arched his eyebrows. "What for?" He demanded suspiciously.

            "Hector Ira is in danger, and I need to find and rescue him." She explained hastily. "There isn't a lot of time to dawdle."

            "Does the Queen know about this?" Annora asked anxiously. She pursed her lips and twirled a strand of her hair around her index finger. Keeva had thought those quirks adorable once.

            "Of course the Queen doesn't know about it!" Stefan snapped at his sister impatiently. "If the Queen knew, Loreena wouldn't be the one embarking on this impromptu rescue mission; the Queen would have sent guards. If we aid her, then we're assisting in treason." He grinned wickedly as he spoke.

            "And, of course, we're going to offer her all of our help." He added.

            Annora stared at her brother in open mouthed horror. "You can't be serious." She said.

            "Oh, I'm perfectly serious." He replied. "We're not only going to give her a horse, we're going to accompany her as well. What's more exciting than a secret rescue mission?"

            "Who will run the Ranch if we're both gone?" Annora challenged.

            Stefan sighed. "Always the logical one." He muttered. "Fine, you can go with her. It's been a while since you caught up on what your former lover is up to." He winked at her, and she glared at him frostily.

            "Fine." She said shortly. She pushed past him.

            "Come on, Loreena." She stomped down the steps of the house and started down the winding dirt path that led to the stables.

            "I hope everything goes well." Stefan said to the Princess. "I look forward to seeing you again. I was at your date of birth ball, but you left before we had the chance to dance."

            "My apologies." Princess Loreena murmured. Being alone with Stefan made her uncomfortable. He stared at her with hungry eyes.

            She slowly backed away, then turned abruptly and ran off after Annora. When she'd reached the stables, Annora had already saddled two horses. Both were mares. The cream one was Acadia, who the Princess had often ridden on her previous trips to the Ranch. The darker brown one was Enchantress.

            Both the Princess and Annora mounted their horses, and kicked into their sides so that they began to trot in the direction of the Varclave forest. Annora seemed to know the place the Princess had in mind without even having asked.

            "So....How is Keeva?" Annora asked after some strained silence.

            "She's fine." Princess Loreena replied. She stared down at Acadia's neck as though fascinated by the large, strange insect that had landed there.

            "Does she ever ask about me, or bring me up in conversation?" Annora ventured

            Princess Loreena repressed a sigh. "No, she doesn't."

            "Oh," Annora sounded disappointed. Her face was crestfallen. "Is she...Is she in a relationship?"

            Princess Loreena groaned internally. It was going to be a long ride if Annora continued to pry about Keeva.

            "No, and I don't think she particularly desires to be in one at the moment." The Princess said carefully. "She just wants to be on her own right now." She hoped that was the proper response to quiet the ranch owner.

...

            It took them less than a day of riding to reach the edge of the forest. The horses seemed to sense the threat that lay within. They dug their hooves into the ground and refused to budge. Princess Loreena and Annora dismounted, but even Annora wouldn't venture too close to the trees.

            Princess Loreena walked slowly forward. She'd never been so near the forest. She was momentarily mesmerized by the mere sight of it, and the knowledge of what wonders it held. The spell was broken when a strangled cry reached her ears. She turned towards the sound and saw a human crawling towards her. The figure had flaming red hair, and left a trail of equally bright blood behind him.

            The Princess took off running and fell to her knees when she reached her betrothed. His face was a darkly discolored, misshapen pulp. His right leg was broken; twisted at an unnatural angle.

            "Lorena," He croaked weakly. He couldn't hold his head up, so the Princess took it into her hands, unperturbed by the blood.

            "Hector, what happened?" She asked him.

            "Landron...He was at the edge of the forest...He had Nightrider, the stallion, the leader of the herd...in chains. I confronted him...and he stabbed me with this...sword with...rubies...in the hilt." Hector could barely manage to get the words out. He coughed violently, and blood dribbled from his lips.

            "It's alright." She reassured him. "Annora's here with me. We have two horses. We'll ride back to Alcwyn, and a healer will help you."

            Hector shook his head. "It'll be too late." He moaned.

            "No." Princess Loreena insisted. She shook her head. "Come on, you have to stand up. We have to get you on Acadia." She attempted to lift him, but she didn't have the strength necessary, and he was entirely limp.

            "Loreena, listen," He begged her. "It's too late, but you...You have to save them...the unicorns. I love you, Loreena. Promise me you'll save them. Don't let my death be meaningless." He smiled at her, and she saw that several of his teeth were missing. His breathing faltered. The Princess waited, but it did not return. His eyes glazed over. He was gone. She lowered him gently to the ground.

            "I love you, too." She whispered. She brushed her hand over his eyes to close his lids.

            "Loreena," Annora said softly from behind her.

            The Princess's head snapped up. She turned her head to glare at the other woman. "You could have helped me!" She spat furiously.

            "I could tell even from afar that it would be of no use." Annora said. "His injuries were too severe. I knew he wouldn't survive the return journey."

            "And just how did you know that?" The Princess cried.

            "Wounded travelers come upon the Ranch all the time." Annora elucidated. "I'm not a healer, but I've become practiced at the basics, and able to distinguish which cases can be successfully treated, and which ones are fatal. I was trying to give you a last moment alone with Hector."

            "Oh," The Princess murmured. A swell of guilt overtook her.

            "I'm sorry, Annora." The Princess atoned.

            "Can you help me with his body? We should return it to Alcwyn, so that he can be cleaned and properly buried."

            Through a combined effort, Princess Loreena and Annora managed to half-carry, half-drag Hector's corpse over to the horses. His normally pale skin had grown impossibly paler from the blood loss.

            Enchantress reared up in objection when they sought to place the body atop her. Finally, Annora was able to calm her, and the horse accepted the weight.

            The girls mounted Acadia, and took off at a slow pace, back towards the kingdom.

            "I'm sorry, Loreena." Annora apologized.

            "Are you alright?" It was a foolish question, Annora was aware. How could she be?

            The Princess grimaced. "I will be." She said quietly. "As soon as I rescue the unicorns, and kill Landron Oscowel."

 



© 2015 Haley Lynn Thomas


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on September 14, 2015
Last Updated on September 14, 2015


Author

Haley Lynn Thomas
Haley Lynn Thomas

Columbus, OH



About
I write poetry, short stories, and novellas. Most of my poetry is inspired by real people and events in my life. more..

Writing