Car For Sale!

Car For Sale!

A Story by Harley Pratt
"

Written in CBC1.

"
Vroom!  Vroom vroom!  The shiny, blue and white striped car sat in the driveway gleaming under the bright sun.   The young girl stood there staring at it feeling torn between happiness because she finally had a car and disappointment because this car was never really what she wanted. True, it was a car…with keys, an engine and wheels. It would allow her some freedom to go places she wanted to go, when she wanted to go there; however, it definitely wasn’t a girl car with its outrageously loud dual exhaust, racing stripes, and souped-up stereo system.  Whether she liked it or not, though, it was what she was stuck with for who knows how long.  When new tags were put on, it was finally legal to get the car on the road.
The ‘shakedown cruise’ for this car was when she drove it to Kansas City.  The car didn’t do too badly, except randomly turning off while driving on a luckily not-busy street.  That is until she ran over a median, which caused the ‘Check Engine’ light to come on, and made the car rattle even more than usual.  After the car rested overnight, the extra noise was gone and the car once again drove fine, until the long drive back to Pratt came into play.  The teenager and her mother took turns driving home.  Her mother couldn’t use the cruise control the whole way time she drove, but that was only a little problem compared to the issues the young girl faced.  Whenever she drove over a bump or pothole in the road, the car seemed like it would shut off, and it actually did a couple times.  It really didn’t feel like the car was going to get them home safely.  The girl nervously drove through Wichita, which was full of overpasses and uneven roads.  Luckily, the car got them back to good ole Pratt safely.
    Upon inspection of the car, they found that there was a short in the wire harness, which was what was causing the car to turn off.  Considering the cost of getting this fixed, the girl decided to live with it.  The year went on with only a few more minor problems with the car.  For starters, the ignition wouldn’t always turn all the way off, meaning the lights remained on although the engine was off.  Fortunately, this was a simple fix, all the girl had to do was disconnect the negative cable on the battery.  Later on, when trying to charge the air conditioner to be ready for the summer, the air compressor blew up.  This problem, however, couldn’t go unnoticed.  She was required to buy a new air compressor because if she didn’t, she risked the belt coming off, which would cause even more problems, especially with the alternator.  When trying to fix the air compressor, they realized they purchased the wrong one.  After getting the new one, the girl luckily had air conditioning in her car even though it was after summer was pretty much over.  For a couple weeks, the problems with the car were unnoticeable, until one day it wouldn’t start.  The girl was so stressed out because of this; she believes it set her up to have one of the worst days of her life.  Quite a few people tried to help diagnose the problem, but only her mother could guess what was wrong�"the wire harness was acting up again.  The girl now knew that if the car didn’t start, all she had to do was jiggle the wire harness and try again.  Most of the time it took more than once, but it would eventually start.
    It turns out that once she knew how to deal with all the little problems, it wasn’t that bad of a car, just extremely frustrating sometimes.  Although when offered her uncle’s car on a couple conditions, she couldn’t refuse.  The first condition was that she had to make a few payments to him next summer.  The second being that she sell her racecar-like car and give him the profit.  So, wanna buy a car?

© 2010 Harley Pratt


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lol only you, Only you lol

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
1 Review
Added on November 30, 2010
Last Updated on November 30, 2010

Author

Harley Pratt
Harley Pratt

Wichita, KS



About
Hey! I'm 18 and like to write...obviously. I get in moods, though, where I hate writing. I can try and review your stuff if you want me to, but I'll be honest, I really do not like reading poems. T.. more..

Writing