The Midnight Courier

The Midnight Courier

A Chapter by Her Love
"

His extended journey through rough terrain Brought news to all wealth and pain

"

            As I can recall, the courier arrived in the darkest point of the night on the 16th of August. I remember this quite well, for the heat of the nights were nearly unbearable and the days were just the same. The boisterous man must have let himself in through the courtyard, for I'm sure that Doyle, the gamekeeper, wouldn't have allowed him to cause the commotion that he did. Doyle never allowed much of anything.

            The courier was an amiable  gentlemen with a tuff of dark hair on the top of his head and rose colored tint that was visible at the peak of his nose and the curve of his cheeks. His boyish features gave witness to his innocence and lack of experience. The journey he just arrived from was of mentionable distance, and perhaps was the first to precede many others.

            "Is there a Sir Albert Vinly here? Sir Albert Vinly, " shouted the courier with such volume that a rasp started to develope with each repetition. He continued, "I have news to be delivered to Sir Vinly."

            I watched from the staircase through a fogged window as my Uncle, Albert, approached the Courier. I felt a chill reach up through my night gown and into my very essence. Considering the heat of the night, I guess you could say that I foresaw the events that were soon to come.

            "I am Albert, " replied Vinly finally, " and who are you, boy?"

            "I am William Locksen of Hampshire, sir. A messanger."

            "Okay Sir William Locksen of Hampshire, a messanger. What have you then?" Albert Vinly was an intimidating man. Not only was he taller, and broader, than the average gentlemen in England, but his sense of superiority was inarguable.

            William's legs began to quiver. His confidence, if he even had any, was certainly gone now. He began in a feeble voice, "Sil Albert, I was sent to inform you that on the 31st of July, your only brother, Sir George Vinly, was made deceased."

            Not a sound escaped from Albert's lips. His idleness was direct result from the baffling news. The Vinly family could hardly be called a family. The only connection that the individuals shared was the inheritance passed down from their father. Albert was the oldest boy, followed by George two years after. The final child being Elizabeth, a sweet natured girl who was born with more wit than beauty.

            Albert, being the eldest, gained all of his father's wealth when he passed. The home was far from modest, and the property was envied by all surrounding estates. The grass remains to be a blanket of the most vibrant shade of green throughout the year that reaches far beyond the naked eye can see, with an outline of flowers in a dainty yellow or soft pink. From the unaccustommed eye, it was truely picturesque.

            The courtyard, was my favorite place.  It was the center of the estate. On three sides, it was traced by the walls of our living quarters, and on the forth edge, was a beautiful gate that reach twice as tall as an average man. Trumpet vines climbed the gate and was now reflecting every light beam from the full moon. A luscious garden filled the courtyard with every flower that could be attained in England. As stated, each of the living quarters surrounded the courtyard. We each had our own enterance to this private paradise. There was an old stone pathway that led its way to a well at the very center. in the farthest corner on the backside, near my very own enterance, was a wood bench. As long as I can remember, this very bench has been my one tranquil place. 



© 2011 Her Love


Author's Note

Her Love
Unfinished...never wrote in this style before.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes i plan to but my girlfriend isnt much of a motivation source.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love the style. And really wonder what happens next, so hope you gonna keep on writing :D

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

433 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 21, 2011
Last Updated on August 22, 2011
Previous Versions


Author

Her Love
Her Love

Dallas, TX



About
Updating my "About Me": Texas Lesbo who dabbles in a little bit of everything. Favorite book: God-Shaped Hole (READ IT: You will either fall in love with every word, or hate it to its core because i.. more..

Writing
The Girl The Girl

A Story by Her Love