Alexandra Vinly, Age 4

Alexandra Vinly, Age 4

A Chapter by Her Love

I came to live with Uncle Albert when I was very young. My mother had passed away at my birth. She was only 16. Uncle Albert said she wasn't strong  enough to carry me. My father, George, seemed to blame me for her death. I remember being awoken one morning when I was 4 years old. It was my birthday, and the sun hadn't yet risen. Hannah, the housemaid, woke me every morning, and did most of the caring for me. 

"Do you know what today is Hannah?" My eyes were still closed, but I could feel the warmth from the lamp reaching my skin. "It is my birthday. I've waited all year for today. Father always comes to visit on my birthday."

"Come now, Miss Alexandra, you must wake up," replies Hannah in hushed tones. The quilt was being pulled off of me, and the chill from the room caused my eyes to open.  I slowly glance around the room. Even at such a young age, I was observant. Even the most subtle changes would hardly go unnoticed by me. The fire was always lit for me in the morning. The smell of the burning wood warms me from the inside out. On this morning, there was no fire lit. 

I glanced at Hannah. Her hair was fixed and she had her long cloak on. Her face was powdered and she had a look of worry in her eyes that I've never recognized before. 

It was that morning that I set off for the Albert Vinly's estate. Hannah explained to me that I had more possibility to become an acceptable lady of society if I stayed with my Uncle. Hannah traveled with me. As I was lifted into the carriage, I turned back to see my father for the last time peaking through the front room's window. At that time, I never knew if he sent me away because he too believed I could prosper, or could he no longer look at the face that reminded him so much of his dead wife.


© 2011 Her Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
Added on September 1, 2011
Last Updated on September 1, 2011


Author

Her Love
Her Love

Dallas, TX



About
Updating my "About Me": Texas Lesbo who dabbles in a little bit of everything. Favorite book: God-Shaped Hole (READ IT: You will either fall in love with every word, or hate it to its core because i.. more..

Writing
The Girl The Girl

A Story by Her Love