The Wiesbaden casino

The Wiesbaden casino

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

A fantasy.

"

The Wiesbaden casino

I don't remember and I've not the slightest idea how I've landed at the Frankfurt airport. If I'm not wrong I've returned from a visit in Iceland with a stop at Frankfurt; that's more or less the issue that started to clear up in my head. I've been drinking a certain drink during the flight, an air hostess kept hovering over me in the first class cabin. I'n not such a beau, it isn't what you think; I was simply the only passenger under her auspices. Now this drink if you'll allow me to remember was some cocktail that suited my palate I'd say. I'd several drinks of that certain cocktail I believe, and thus instead of stopping in Milano I've found myself in Frankfurt.

In short I've been told at the information counter that I'll have to spend twenty four hours in this bustling city, before I'll board another plane and fly home.

'Why don't you visit Wiesbaden and its many spas, and thus rest up to your next flight? You can get there with a cab or take the train, it's a better choice for you'll enjoy the view and save money. There's no comparison between a cab's fare and a train ticket.'

This was the advice I was given by the young and rather pretty ground hostess; again you'd better understand she didn't fall in love with me, she simply pitied me. I was so confused lost almost, and thus I've aroused the compassion of this dear soul.

In a few words I was instructed how to get to the train terminal, a matter of several moments that's all.

I left the air port and made my way to Wiesbaden by train, as I've been instructed. I'd no intention to bath at this picturesque city's spas, but to rest and sober up at last. I felt like being enfolded by a misty cloud although everything seemed so positive so pleasant, just like the ground hostess pretty face, which were not effaced from my memory yet.

I've booked in the first hotel that I've came across, and passed the rest of the day dozing up to the early evening hours, and then I descended to the lobby and the hotel's restaurant for an early dinner; right afterwards I turned to the reception to check what could be done in this forlorn hole. A glance through the hotel's transparent glass walls did not encourage me at all, I should have stayed in Frankfurt, I thought with much regret.

'I would recommend the casino,' the polite reception clerk told me; 'and there is transportation from our hotel.'

'Oh, is the casino far from our hotel?' I wondered, wishing to know costs etc.'.

'Not at all, it's a five minutes ride, the transportation is a service for the hotel's guests, it leaves every quarter of an hour.'

I've thanked him and went out, and indeed there was a parked minibus close to the hotel's entrance, I boarded it and with the arrival of another passenger we started off, and drove through the lighted Wiesbaden main street.

The main street was quite a revelation for me, several bars and restaurants, a night club with an exciting lighted placard…

Well if they won't peel my hide off at the casino, the night club would be my next stop, I've decided on the spot without the slightest hesitation.

The casino was an old establishment and very famous. The huge edifice and the huge hall once inside impressed me very much. A crowd of gamblers were huddled round the roulette and black jack desks, on both the hall's sides gambling machines so typical to such an establishment were set in long rows �" not even one machine was free.

I was quite indifferent to all of it and wasn't swept into the intense heated atmosphere. I was on my way home after an enjoyable visit, and it would have been a foolish mistake to gamble with what was left in my pockets.

I roamed around watched the gamblers' faces, their body language, the last time I've visited a casino or any gambling club, well must have been ages ago, I can't even remember where and when.

I stopped next to one of desks that was not very crowded, and watched the roulette and the enthusiastic gamblers; right opposite me on the other side of the desk stood a bearded type with disheveled hair, but a very impressive man. The look in his eyes his pale face, fascinated me. He did not notice me despite my penetrating gaze, he was so absorbed in watching the roulette, the croupier's little rake and his own little pile of chips that kept getting smaller, he won and lost alternatively but he won again at the next round, it was the right time I thought to approach and pull him out of this bewitched cycle, before he would all his money.

I never intervene in such or similar cases, but I don't know why I felt that I must help him.  While I turned round the desk and made the few steps to reach him, he must have put all the chips he was left with on one number out of despair I guess �" and lost all of it.

I stood beside him and he noticed me at last. He raised his bowed head and we watched each other a few seconds without a word. He must have realized that I want to help him.

'You got some ten francs on you?' He asked with a shade of a cynic smile.

'No I don't have francs, but I'll give you a one hundred dollar bill if we'll leave the place right away.'

'It's none of your business if me Fyodor Michailovitch continues to gamble or not!'

'Now I got it,' I cried out excited. 'You're my most admired author, Fyodor Michailovitch Dostoyevsky; I know all about your addiction, you must leave with me and return to Moscow I'll see to it personally…'

He smiled at me a smile full of scorn, and said spiting each word: 'I need not your advice or your favors!'  With this short sentence said he turned his back on me and walked away.

'Fyodor Michailovitch,' I called out and ran after him, but one of the security officers of this establishment caught my collar, another one caught my arm; they dragged me to the entrance and threw me out on the cold pavement.

I was sprawled on my back on my bedroom's floor beside my bed, utterly confused.

'What's the matter with you? Are you okay? Do me a favor sleep on the living room couch and don't disturb me in my sleep.'

© Haim Kadman August 2012 �" all rights reserved.

© 2012 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I had to laugh when this was finished, though I knew it must be a dream. Imagine-- meeting Dostoyevsky even in a dream...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haim Kadman

11 Years Ago

I adore Dostoyevski to me he is the greatest author that I've ever read, after his return from exile.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
1 Review
Added on September 18, 2012
Last Updated on September 18, 2012
Tags: flight, air port, spa, hotel, casino

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman