Haughty Barby

Haughty Barby

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

A ahorth excerpt of my 10th book "An irretrievable step".

"

Major Barzive chose the table and they sat down facing each other, without a word yet. The Major was waiting till the mess hall would fill up, and thus no one would disturb them or ask to join their table, seeing him sitting opposite a junior officer.

'Tell me Seri, have you ever thought of serving abroad?' He asked lieutenant Seri after a few moments of embarrassing silence.

'No I haven't thought about it, why? I'm well off here.' Seri answered briskly, letting the major realize that he is satisfied and has no complaints what so ever, if that is what the Major is after.

'Well I'm glad to hear it,' the cunning major hastened to remark.

'You're one of the best young officers that we've, and that's why I bother to talk to you… But let's talk to the point, do you have any idea on the advantages that such a job has? Say salary increase, quick promotion, and a very pleasant working environment, which would broaden your horizons.'

'No but I'm willing to listen.' Sery answered smiling.

'Fine but you'll have to meet someone else to learn all the details, and that's his phone number.' The Major said while pulling out a small writing pad from his shirt's pocket. He tore a page out of it and handed it to Seri.

'When should I call him?' Seri wondered watching the Major's eyes with a quizzical look.

'Whenever you'll feel like it, eat up and I'll give you a lift to town.

The Major dropped him at his apartment in town, and Seri thanked him and went up; even before he changed he dialed the number that Major Barzive gave him.

'Hello good evening,' he heard a female's voice.

'My name is Seri I was asked to call you by Major Barzive.' Seri muttered hesitantly, wondering whether it is not a very sophisticated hoax of haughty Barby's repertoire.

'Be at the Eliot café next Thursday at seven pm sharp.' The female instructed him.

'But I'm on duty on Thursday…'

'You'll be off duty next Thursday, it's been settled…'

'Who am I supposed to meet, how do I recognize him?'

'Just be there wearing your uniform, we know who you're, bye.' She said and hung up.

© Haim Kadman July the 10th 2013 �" all rights resrved.

© 2013 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1209 Views
Added on July 10, 2013
Last Updated on July 10, 2013
Tags: supper, mess hall, base, suggestion, offer, dialogue, phone call, meeting

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman