A strange encounter

A strange encounter

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

A short except of my book "An irretrievable step".

"

At about seven pm he visited the Coptic church of San Marco, as he has rented a room apartment close to it he walked on foot while learning his future neighborhood.

There were middle aged and elderly people at that hour of a Monday night gathered in the church huge hall; about a dozen of them. On his way to one of the mid hall benches, Ray crossed a young woman that sat all alone on one of the rear benches.

A priest carried on the service chanting prayers accompanied by a group of young boys clad in white, in a language Ray could not grasp.

He sat down a few yards behind a small group of men, without thinking what he is going to do next.

The service was boring but just a moment or two passed when he felt some one's eyes watching him, looking to his right side he realized that the young woman changed her place and was sitting on a bench of the same raw as his on the other side of the aisle.

As their eyes met she left her seat and came and sat beside him.

Her features were not too dark, but she looked like the very type he did not wish to meet at this stage.

'It's your first time here isn't it?' She asked him in a whisper.

'So what, and what do you want?'

'Oh I just want to know who you're that's all.'

'I'm a human being just like you?' He retorted in low voice. She was getting on his nerves.

'You aren't Italian but you speak quite fluently, what's your name and where are you from?'

'Get off my back will you?' He retorted again, he stood up and pushed his way between her knees and the next raw backrest benches

He walked out hearing her footsteps behind him. As he crossed the church entrance she rushed and stepped before him, blocking his way.

'Documenti, show me your documents!'

'Get lost!' He replied calmly without raising his voice, despite his anger.

'I'm a SISDE agent, yes the Italian secret service! I'm warning you!'

'Don't make me laugh, you're a pitiful extortionist, and now get off my way.' He answered her laughing aloud.

'Don't you believe me?' She asked lowering her voice changing her tactics, and in a change of mood that surprised him completely.

'Why should I? No I don't believe you.'

'Am I that ugly?'

'What oh no you're good looking.'

'Won't you buy me a drink then?' She asked him smiling.

She isn't a w***e or an extortionist, if she was one she would have started calling for help and claim I've tried to rape her or rob her; pushing her rudely away or slapping her face would be a terrible mistake, I'll buy her drink see what she really wants and get rid of her.

'Okay, where is the nearest bar?'

She led the way to a small bar around the next corner. They sat side by side on the stools next to the bar.

'So what will you have, ohm…'

'Amina, vermouth rosso please, and what's your name?'

'I'm glad to know you Amina I'm John.'

So now that surprising riddle is almost solved, dear Amina is some kind of an Egyptian agent, snooping after Copts that are sought for trial in Egypt. It's just a guess of course, but I've no intention to verify it.

Ray ordered vermouth for her and a bourbon for himself.

'What are your plans for tonight?' She asked him with an alluring smile.

'I've a dinner to attend with several businessmen,' Ray told her sneaking a look at his watch. 'It's getting late see you tomorrow at the church then.' He added politely, paid and left.

He hailed a passing cab as soon as he left the bar, and while sitting on the cab's rear seat he turned his face  to watch the bar's entrance; he did not expect Amina or whatever her is to come out and try to follow him, but he was taught not to rely on chances.

'A la Piaza Navona vi prego.' He told the driver.


© Haim Kadman July 2013 " all rights reserved.

© 2013 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

670 Views
Added on July 29, 2013
Last Updated on July 29, 2013
Tags: prose, literature, excerpt, service, church, confrontation. solution

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman