The highest hurdle

The highest hurdle

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of my 10th book 'An irretrievable step'.

"

Their plane landed at Amman airport after a short delay, in which the plane had to circle the airport just once fortunately. Thus at twelve fifty two Bianca and Ray were on their way to Jerusalem. The heat and the typical desert views and the narrow stretch of water titled the Jordan river, left Bianca deeply disappointment. As they had something to eat on the flight and having hired a cab without delay, on reaching Jerusalem they looked first of all for a restaurant to satisfy their thirst and hunger. They had a late lunch at the American Colony Hotel in old Jerusalem, and seeing its beautiful garden Bianca urged Ray to check in even for one night. The next move was the visit in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, which turned into an excruciating experience for Ray. Bianca was deeply awed and impressed; she nearly fainted, and he had to support her a few moments till she overcame her weakness. When at last they returned to the hotel they went up to their suite to rest, Ray too influenced by Bianca's deep emotional state needed a rest. They had a late dinner and afterwards they strolled a few moments in the hotel aromatic garden and went up to their suite again. On the next morning that was not Good Friday, but they treated that day as if it was; they hired a guide to lead them along the Via Dolorosa up to Golgotha where Jesus Christ was crucified. Their afternoon was dedicated to visit the Church of Nativity in Beth Lehem. Bianca asked to stay on and visit again the holy tomb of Jusus on Saturday, and attend the service at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre on Sunday.

They crossed the border to West Jerusalem on Monday morning and checked in at the King David Hotel.

As they were shut in their suite Bianca hugged Ray excitedly and thanked him for the fabulous gift he endowed her with.

'But you too my darling wished to do this pilgrim.' She said raising her eyes to him with a shade of a smile. 'Love me I've let you down two successive nights and I want you so much now.'

Somewhat later when Bianca's head laid on his shoulder and she was caressing his chest, he looked at her and said:

'I've a confession to make my love.'

'What confession that you're madly in love with me? Or you got a message from the wife you left in America?' She teased him mischievously.

'No it's very serious.'

'What is it then?' She asked him and raised her head supporting herself on her left elbow, watching his eyes with a grim look.

'Would you swear that you'll love me no matter what I'll say?'

She hesitated a friction of a second. 'I swear and I can't believe that you might say a thing that will cause me to stop loving you.'

'I'm serving my country and I wasn't born under my current identity, it's my cover story.'

She opened a pair of eyes shocked. 'You mean you aren't my Ray, you're someone else… Madonna mia what am I going to do? Is our marriage an illegitimate fake …? With a swift move of her hand that caressed his chest she slapped his cheek with all her might, and fell on him burying her face in his chest her strangled sobs shook her body.

He knew how hard it would be but despite it he did not expect such a traumatic reaction. He kept caressing her hair, her back and her shoulders, talking to her softly, telling her how much he loves her and swearing he'll never leave her for a long hour. He managed to relax her a bit, but she was still lying all over him with her cheek on his chest. She stopped crying but breathed hard and was clearing her throat from time to time

'How long will our marriage last?' She asked him in shaky voice.

'As long as we'll live, I'll never leave you I'm yours as long as I'll live.'

She straightened up and sat beside his sprawled body, breathing hard still with a heaving bosom.

'How long do you've to serve your country?'

'I was signed on a contract of several years, but it isn't conclusive; my term can be longer or shorter, it depends on the circumstances.

'And when you'll be free, what will become of us then?'

'We'll live in Italy in Rome, or Venice, or Milan or near our family, yes it's our family; and they don't have to know anything from what I've told you.'

'Let's not talk about it anymore. Let's live our life on as we wish to live it, as we've known and know each other.' Bianca decided resolutely, and bent down to kiss him. 'Do call room service darling we'll eat our dinner here.'

When Joe told me that night to let her go if she'll say no, they were sure that Bianca won't give me up; and just to be on the safe side he added the worst possible option… Ray thought mentally exhausted but relieved at last.

 Haim Kadman September 2013 �" all rights reserved.

© 2013 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

380 Views
Added on September 14, 2013
Last Updated on September 14, 2013
Tags: Amman, Jerusalem. pilgrom, holyland, religion, faith, confession. love

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman