The Ritz Carlton Hotel

The Ritz Carlton Hotel

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of the thriller THE DEATH SCIENCES.

"

The Ritz Carlton Hotel

The Death Sciences

An excerpt

Safe refuge... bullshit!!!  Samir thought angrily. Safe haven for busy bodies who would tell anyone, who would cup his ear, what big patriots they are �" who would defend the rights of their poverty stricken people over a dish of shrimps, at the Savoy's or some other five star hotel... But I should not turn such thoughts in my mind, I must be cautious... One more mistake might cut me off not just from my homeland alone, but also from the necessary means, friends �" from anything that would sustain me in exile. I’ve in fact two main options, to live in luxury or die! There are some more drastic options, but I wouldn't ever dare even to think such options over; I could fly away with a fake passport to some remote part of the globe, and thus give up forever the hope of returning to my country, of seeing my relatives again; and live for the rest of my life in constant fear, under assumed identity... Or I could cut my flimsy ties with the organization and cross the lines �" knock on some embassy's door… Both these dramatic and drastic options are dead ends, out of the question as far as I’m concerned. I won’t give up my ties, my identity �" I won’t cut my own roots with my own hands! I’ll never cross over to the Mosad! The worst enemy as Karim described it, without daring to mention its name… But would they abandon pursuit and vengeance, they surely know by now…

Well then...’ Karim's monotonous voice cut into Samir’s wild thoughts.  ‘There are still several matters you'll have to settle, before this day is over. Find yourself a small cozy hotel somewhere, in the outskirts of town. Collect your things; you got the locker’s key haven't you?’

‘Sure there it is!’ He hastened to answer Karim fumbling in his pocket after it.

‘Having done with all your arrangements, ring this phone number at eight thirteen sharp ‘GMT’. As soon as someone will pick the receiver you'll say: “hello it’s Sam.” And that's all you'll have to say, to let us understand that everything is okay, don’t mind the answer you’ll get. But do us a favor; say it in a soft Oxford accent.’ He added with a short laugh. ‘The other side will hang up right after mumbling “sorry wrong number” �" simple isn't it?’

‘And if I'm in some sort of trouble, what should I say then?’

‘Oh come-on there won't be any, unless you'll get drunk, or drugged, or mixed in some... But you won't because you know too well who you are �" am I right?’

‘Yes you're right!’ Samir agreed with him.

‘Here's the phone number, he added handing Samir a piece of paper. ‘There is one more thing you'll have to remember, to meet me at the Ritz-Carlton's lobby tomorrow morning �" at ten fifteen sharp, that leaves you plenty of time to find the place.’

‘I'd better write it down.’                               

‘What?’ Karim burst out with a cheerful laugh. ‘I'll repeat it if you haven't got it yet clearly.

‘It’s all right, I'll remember it.’

‘That's better!’ Remarked his associate relieved. ‘There's just one more point we had like to be sure of, you aren't an addict of... Let's put it this way �" you seem to be a man who has a good hold of himself; you aren't the one who can't do without a drink, or without a woman, or a cigarette when there's a need for some reasons, to give up pleasures of such kind for a while �" a rather short while. I've no intention to worry you,’ he added laughing again. You don't use drugs and you never did, right?’  He emphasized once more the delicate issue, before Samir could answer.

‘Yes you’re quite right.’ Samir answered him proudly.

‘Fine, avoid any entertainment tonight, rest, that's what you need.’ He ordered him.

Samir said nothing just nodded his head obediently.

‘Ten fifteen at the Ritz Carlton's lobby tomorrow morning. Karim repeated the time and location of their next meeting. Samir nodded his head again without a word.     

‘Now before any further move, lets adjust our watches with the local time, to agree with the Big-Ben.’ He added smiling.

‘Are we leaving?’ He asked Karim, he was getting weary and impatient.  

‘I'm leaving; you'll have to stay on for fifteen additional minutes. Order yourself a cigar or some more coffee, or whatever you like. Then leave, take the underground to White chapel, there you'll catch a cab and ask the driver to lead you to some small cheap hotel in the suburbs.

‘Any cab?’

‘Of course, what did you expect?’ Karim answered him laughing, that young man didn't stop to amuse him, he thought. If he won't catch up quick enough, he could become a bore.

‘No messing around to night and don't you dare to forget it!’ That certain sentence was said while they were standing, and Karim was ready to go. He did leave Samir right after having received his mute acquiescence.

The waiter suggested a Dutch one not a Cuban, thus he sat smoking the Dutch aromatic cigar, turning over his thoughts �" passing the time away.

The impressions he had, from the rather short time spent with his new colleagues, were encouraging. They seemed eager to accept him, which could have resulted only if the big and mighty boss, Abu-naeef wished it to be so.

My reputation must have reached them, and though my own plans might be delayed for sometime �" I’d better not waste any of my chances and my renown. In any case I'll have to wait and see what plans Abu-naeef has in store for me… Though he seems to be a thickhead and quick tempered, he might surprise me yet, and if things won't turn in my favor and I'll be driven into despair... Well in that case I can fly straight to Paris, to the organization's headquarters �" appeal to them, let them know I’ve been abused... Such a scheme must be planned very carefully; otherwise I might end up with some extra holes in my head...!  The best way out would be through an innocent journey to Scotland, or Ireland, to some remote airport; or to travel by train and sea; just as I’ve reached Amsterdam where I learned that precious piece of information, thanks to Abu-awad the coward. But anyhow he rendered me a service the sleek snake that he is!

Samir’s cigar was still very near its original size, but some of the waiters passed him several times already �" eyeing him curiously and making it quite clear, its time he should clear off. He was the only guest left!  Hardly five minutes passed since Karim left the place, but the place had emptied completely right afterwards.

It’s simply stupid to stay on in that empty restaurant, and attract the waiters’ attention. I'd better leave. He thought, rising to his feet. And if Karim won't mention my “harsh offense” tomorrow, that would be the best proof that I’m being watched just as I was watched �" all along my way to Amsterdam!

© Haim Kadman 1989 �" all rights reserved.

 

THE DEATH SCIENCES

SYNOPSIS

During a clandestine meeting in the old city of Jerusalem, not far from the holy shrines to Islam, Christianity and Judaism; Samir Mashrawee is persuaded in a sophisticated brainwash procedure to murder his ex rector in the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and thus gain the right to become a member in a terror organization.

The story is told through Samir’s viewpoint, a Palestinian youth who lives in Silowan, an Arab village at the outskirts of Jerusalem. After the war of 1967 Silowan was annexed to the state of Israel, its habitants became Israeli citizens. Thus Samir carries a blue identity card and is entitled to work in Israel and study in its academic institutes. He is a tall good-looking youth, and his appearance does not reveal his Arab origin. His social connections during his studies at the Hebrew University were mainly with his compatriots, the few Israeli Arab students and with Ghill, the Israeli student with whom he shares an apartment not far from the university.

Right after slaying his ex rector, he is whisked to the southern resort region of Taba near Eilat, on Egyptian soil; by two organization members, Leila and Taher, an Israeli Arab taxi driver. According to their cover story Leila is his just wed bride, and they are on their way to their honeymoon. He spends about a week with Leila at the luxurious five stars Hilton hotel at Taba.  The fact that their relationship is a cover story, and the fact that Leila in on her way to wed her fiancé, who is a prominent P.L.O leader, does not impede Samir from raping her, on the first opportunity he has, when they are left alone in their luxurious suite. A week later, on reaching Cairo he parts with Leila, who proceeds to her awaiting fiancé in Tunisia.

According to clandestine rules he has to keep away from the P.L.O. offices and await instructions. As the whole operation including his rescue, has been executed not long ago and in haste; his compatriots in Cairo are eager to get rid of him. They fear the Mossad long vindictive arm, and send him on a roundabout course to Amsterdam, to join the local P.L.O group over there. His arrival causes mistrust and alarm among the small group members Thus they decide to send him on to the London group �" that group’s lack in manpower is well known. Samir lands in Heathrow Airport to meet Karim, who becomes his operator and trusted comrade. There he hops to pursue his academic studies. But things change in a very drastic manner, when he is suspected of being an Israeli, a spying mole inside their organization.

This thriller includes 120 pages and 71.431 words.

www.freado.com/book/16998/the-death-sciences

Enjoy a riveting and gripping thriller THE DEATH SCIENCES   ganxy.com/i/89416

© 2014 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

436 Views
Added on June 27, 2014
Last Updated on June 27, 2014
Tags: suspense, intelligence, action, espionage, adventure, love

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman