Janine

Janine

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of the novel AN AFRICAN SUNSET.

"

Janine

An African Sunset

An excerpt

Shatz was standing with Everon at the front of the Corsican’s restaurant, after having taken leave of the embassy’s members, Shatz realized with a sudden awareness that he was threatened with social commitments, such as Rivka’s ideas and hints during lunch that concerned him alone, Peleg’s invitation and Everon and his pretension to carry off the club’s championship… After all he had some other plans in mind.

‘So what are you going to do right now?’ Everon asked him, as they stood alone on the pavement, as all the rest of the party left and drove away. ‘Aren’t you coming to my place to rest for a while, you do look as one who didn’t sleep well last night, is anything wrong?’

‘No I’m okay, I thought of going to the swimming pool right now, how about you won’t you come along with me?’ He didn’t want to join Everon and hear his endless prattle he had enough of it already.

‘I would have gladly come with you, but I must attend to a critical meeting this afternoon. Anyway, you can stay in my place and take advantage of my library if you’ll change your mind, or sleep till I’ll return. But for God’s sake, what are you going to do in the swimming pool at this hour of day? You won’t find there a living soul.’

‘That’s exactly the point I want to have it all to myself.’ Shatz replied to him with a short laugh.

‘Is that so, fine just fine, enjoy yourself than. What do you think of Peleg? His behavior didn’t shock you I hope: anyway he did some worse things not too long ago.’

‘Why should I be shocked? It wasn’t a pleasant sight, but it was Priel’s problem; you and I have the same opinion on that matter, haven’t we?’

Everon smiled rather pleased with his loyal inferior. ‘All right I’ll be home at about five pm, don’t stay there too long, eh?’ He added, slapped Shatz on his shoulder and went over to his car.

 

As he crossed the hotel’s gate with his car, Shatz saw her standing in her bathing gown on the pool’s edge looking in his direction, watching his approaching car.

Janine!!! He almost shouted her name with all the might of his lungs. He waved to her excitedly through the car’s open window, stopped the car and parked it; and got off rather nimbly slammimh the car’s door and quickened his step, as he was climbing the light slop up to the swimming pool. 

‘At last,’ he said catching up his breath. ‘How are you the enchanting creature that you are? I’ll never stop admiring you!’

The smile that lighted up Janine’s face vanished, and her expression changed into a suspicious grave stare.

‘I’m very impressed by the easiness with which you scatter compliments so lavishly, and may I remind you we hardly each other.’ She remarked rather indifferently and with a clear note of mistrust. ‘What title have you got in heart breaking, a bachelor's or one of a master?’ That sarcastic remark she added in such apathy, while scrutinizing his face with a stern look of her green eyes that has quite astonished him.

‘You never heard such words before, you don’t hear such words time and again, how pretty you’re? Am I the only one who admires you? I don’t believe it!’ Shatz whispered to her excitedly. ‘I’m in love with you, with you alone!’ He added dramatically, as if their love affair was extended over several years already; and as if he did declare his love to her long ago. ‘Don’t you know it?’

Janine blushed and became utterly confused; she didn’t expect such a sudden and open assault on her emotions.

‘I’ve waited for you yesterday.’ She answered him in a low voice, breathing hard with a heaving breast.

‘Good God, I’m so sorry, I wanted so much to come but I’d to assist the expert’s family that I’ve replaced, those who have returned to our country,’ Shatz hastened to explain. ‘That expert had some differences of opinion with monsieur Miniaron, you know, Pegeauot agency’s manager; about the price Miniaron had to pay him for his car. I’d to accompany him and till that matter was settled the whole day was wasted in vain; and then the commandant had given them a farewell party which I’d to attend, that lasted till midnight…’ He added raising his hand in a gesture of desperation, lying to her brazenly.

For a few seconds they stood facing each silently.

‘You’ve to return home don’t you, who was supposed to pick you up?’ Shatz asked her.

‘Annette and Alain, I’m waiting for them for half an hour already.’

‘Wouldn’t it be better if I’ll take you home?’

‘Yes, let’s go,’ she decided and led the way down to his car.

Shatz opened the car’s door for her, he saw her settle in her seat, and closed the door with much care.

How he did apologize… what a romantic soul he has, the last living specimen of his kind on earth…’ She thought excitedly, biting her lips not to burst out with a laugher of sheer joy; while Shatz was doing his way to his own seat.   

As soon as he settled himself behind the steering wheel, he turned to her took her hand, and bending down started to kiss the tips of her fingers. Turning round her hand rather gently he sunk his lips in her open palm.

Janine deeply moved, with a throbbing heart, sent her other hand to Shavz’s neck, caressing it.

Shatz gripping Janine’s far shoulder pulled her towards him and bending his head kissed her lips.

‘No please, not here, not now, people might see us…’ She muttered pushing him slightly back.            

Shatz with much regret drew back his arms and straightened up in his seat, he switched on the engine and set off to drive her home.

© Haim Kadman 1987 �" all rights reserved.

www.freado.com/read/16997/an-african-sunset

© 2014 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

423 Views
Added on August 9, 2014
Last Updated on August 9, 2014
Tags: suspense, intelligence, adultry, conspiracy, love

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman