The new editor

The new editor

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of my next book A POST IMPRESSIONISTIC CAREER, to be published soon.

"

The new editor

A post impressionistic career

An excerpt

The weeks oozed by slowly while Tsevieli tried his best to forget Tami and wipe her out of his mind. He was very kind to Alona his good looking wife that believed in every word he told her, and a good father to his two kids whenever he was back home; due to unexpected turn of events he had to dedicate much more time to work, as Amnon Glick his direct boss was on leave abroad and Tsevieli had to replace him. He had closer ties with Naomi Hazani Amnon's secretary, which he used to treat very tactfully and now more than ever, as she was Amnon's regular pastime. But there were enough other young females at the editorial, and he did not have to spend his evenings visiting art galleries and exhibitions' halls; particularly now, when he had to spend most of his time in the office acting as the temporary art editor in chief. He had an assistant that did the job of visiting exhibitions and galleries for him, and a good looking one on top of it. Her name was Vered its meaning in Hebrew is rose, and she was indeed as pretty as a rose in full bloom; thus Tsevieli was satisfied with her contribution in both aspects of work and leisure.

He spent most of his time with Vered Bloom and Naomi in Amnon's office at day time chatted with both of them, and briefed Vered twice or thrice a week before sending her to visit exhibitions and art galleries during the afternoons and evenings. This very pleasant arrangement suited him very well, all he had to do was to edit Vered's drafts and prepare criticism articles out of it, and brief Vered where and whom she'll visit. This short change in his career influenced very positively his family life, his wife was satisfied and his two kids saw their father at home every evening, except the few times in which he had to participate in a museum exhibition opening or some famous art gallery's exhibitions' openings..

Hardly a month passed and Tsevieli was asked to report before the paper's management's department, where a small group of the paper senior editors and the paper's owner sat waiting for him.

'Do sit down Asaf,' Simon Gurfinkel the paper's owner asked him politely. 'How are you getting along Asaf, aren't Amnon's shoes too big for you?'

'I've several years of experience already and Amnon did instruct me all along these years, and I'm fine and I like what I'm doing.' Tsevieli answered trying to appear as modest as possible. He knew that something is brewing in his favor, after all he wasn't summoned without some good reason behind it; and if he was for instance to be fired he would not have been summoned to see the owner in person, a letter of retirement would suffice if that was the case.

'You believe then that you're able to cope satisfactorily with this job, don't you?' Mr. Gurfinkel the owner asked him again, watching Tsevieli face with a stern gaze.

So Amnon must has been fired, the quick thought passed in Tsevieli's mind. 'Yes sir I can cope with it.'

'You'll have to prove it in the next three months Asaf, and if the results of your work would satisfy us you'll get the job plus a raise of salary. We intend to turn the paper's art weekly art column into an independent magazine; and in that case you'll have to deal with a team of at least a dozen workers under your supervision.' Gurfinkel added while watching Tsevieli's face in a quizzical gaze, as if he wondered hesitantly whether Tsvieli is capable of coping with such an arduous job.

'I'll do my best sir,' Tsevieli hastened to answer him.

'You'll have to summon all your energy in order to cope with much more constructive goals.' Gurfinkel remarked with a slight cough, letting Tsevieli understand that his nightly escapades are well known to the paper's administration.

Tsevieli did not respond and just nodded his head expressing his consent and obedience.

'You may return to your office.' Gurfinkel summed up the meeting and Tsevieli stood up, thanked his superiors and left.

Tsevieli returned to his office that just a few weeks ago was Amnon's office, his ex boss that patronized him but did teach him a few practical things; and these few things are helping him these very days, to do his daily work quite effectively. He thought satisfied as he opened the door to his office and entered. He was surprised to see Vered his assistant sitting inside at that early hour, instead of Noami his brand new secretary.

What is she doing here she's supposed to come at two pm today, due to her planned tour of art galleries and exhibitions' halls tonight, just like in every day when she's doing her late afternoon and evening visits two up to three times a week..He wondered watching his assistant with a quizzical intense gaze.

'Where's Noami, what happened?' He asked her knitting his brows.

'She left a note for you, she had a phone call from the kindergarten where her son is kept during the day hours, and she says that he doesn't feel well.'

'I see,' Tsevieli said as he sat next to his desk and read the note Naomi left him.

'Well how was it?' Vered asked him intrigued.

'So she told you before she left, despite her son's sudden problem, whatever it is…'

'I asked her where you're, and she told me about your meeting, as simple as all that.' Vered answered him smiling.

'Well it was fine just fine I'm the big boss from now on.' He answered her proudly. He did not intend to get down to details, more than this single fact she doesn't have to know. He thought and acted according to his new elated status.

© Haim Kadman September 2014 �" all rights reserved. 

© 2014 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

501 Views
Added on September 9, 2014
Last Updated on September 9, 2014
Tags: art, literature, editorial, feuds, conflicts, escapedes, love

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman