The mission's morning

The mission's morning

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of the thriller The Death Sciences. Captivating thrillers of past and current events and novels, which are absorbing read each one of them www.amazon.com/Haim-Kadman/e/B009Z7XL8C

"

The mission's morning

The Death Sciences

An excerpt

Having slept a bad and grim night, strewn with nightmares, Samir woke up falling straight into a rather bad mood. The few things he had prepared last night did not escape his mother’s suspicious eyes. It must have worried her no doubt more than ever, and though she had had her fill of sorrow up to the brim, and knew very well to hide her feelings �" at that particular time the traces of worry and strain, were visible on her old and wrinkled face. She did not bother him with questions, but the questions were right there, hanging in mid air �" without being asked, whirling in his brain, troubling his conscious.

What to become of her, what’s her lot? My own mother! Didn’t she suffer enough already? Would she too be among those who have to wait at the gates of detentions camps, to have a short glimpse of me �" behind bars…? After some frightful days, awaiting some news of her missing son…? That one aspect would not be utterly bad from her point of view. But if I will succeed on the other hand, if everything shall come off well �" would she ever see my face again, at her age?

What a hateful course of life! What a misfortune! How in the devil’s name did they get to me? Why did they have to pick me, out of all the others? Why me, curse them! Are they better than the Jews, the Shabac’s leprous dogs?

Time is flying by rapidly and I’ve hardly done anything yet. It’s getting late! He thought with much self reproach, and driving away his bad feelings he forced himself to get up, spent and ill humored as he was; but there were still a few more things he had to do before leaving.

‘Sit down and eat.’ His mother said, as he came back from the rear court having washed his face with fresh cold water.

‘Don't worry.’ She added gravely, doing her best to encourage him. ‘You'll get along, you'll find some work.’

‘Sure I’ll find some work!’ He repeated her last sentence in heated fury. ’What work, what for did I've to study all those years? What did you've to toil for, wreck your health, feed me, and look after me! What jobs are there for a poor devil like me? To clear their garbage, to scrub their sewers...! Is that what they call work?  Are these jobs fit for an educated man?’

Submissively out of sheer humbleness so typical to her women-folk, his mother kept quiet bowing her head down; she was so used to his outbursts.

‘I've got some business in town, some documents to arrange.’ He said lowering his voice to normal tones again.                                   

‘What documents?’ She asked alarmed.                                

‘Travel documents, I want to get the hell out! Do you understand? He answered her in a wild shout, ‘to get the hell out of here, forever!’

It was the right thing to do, putting it down straight, he thought in complete composure. It would be much easier for her to learn it from his own lips, thus his sudden disappearance won't surprise her; neither would it surprise his relatives or his friends; and if friends or foes would venture to ask or question her on his whereabouts, she'll have a ready answer.

‘Where do you intend to go?’ She mumbled, having recovered from the shock, his last words caused her. 

‘I'm going to Kuwait via Jordan.’ He answered without having racked his brain much about it.

Well, I did find the right solution to my problem.... He concluded to himself, with much relief.         

‘But it must take some time... a few weeks... what time will you be back? Today I mean, you're not leaving yet, do you? I’ll see you this evening, won’t I?’

‘Yes, of course!’ He calmed her down and the easiness, with which he uttered out that lie, surprised him. He never managed to lie to her before and whenever he tried, she had caught him red handed. 'I won't be long.’ He assured her. ‘I'll be back at sunset or even earlier.’ He promised her with feigned indifference, and thanking her briskly he got up and left.

© Hain Kadman 1991 �" all rights reserved.

www.amazon.com/Haim-Kadman/e/B009Z7XL8C

 

© 2015 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

994 Views
Added on January 7, 2015
Last Updated on January 7, 2015
Tags: suspense, intelligence, action, espionage, adventure

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman