The rescue

The rescue

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of the thriller THE DEATH SCEINCES.

"

The rescue

The Death Sciences

An excerpt

A black taxicab appeared suddenly, out of nowhere, a Mercedes sparkling all over in the morning sun, the cab's glittering windshield blinding his eyes. Before he managed to think what to do next or react instinctively, it passed him made a u-turn, overtook him and stopped just a few yards ahead of him. It had yellow license number plates! An Israeli cab!

Extremely excited he moved on, approaching it gradually. There was nothing else he could do, but keep on moving; act as natural as he possibly could, under these strenuous circumstances.

A bare headed young female was sitting at the cab's rear seat. Samir was pretty close now, and while still pondering over his possible options that young female turned her face to him, smiling at him invitingly through the cab's rear window. A short hair brunette she was and looked as if her hair-do was just now done. She kept smiling at him and raising her hand and moving it back and forth, she urged him to join her. The signs were too distinct; there couldn't be any other possible meaning.

With a fast beating heart Samir hastened to enter and sat beside her on the rear seat, glancing at the driver's back with obvious apprehension; reacting like a hunted down beast invading an alien den on its flight, sniffing suspiciously its new supposed shelter �" moving its snout nervously in every direction. But the first feelings of uneasiness changed rapidly, into a fleeting sense of confidence and trust in a strange way; out of intuition as he believed and felt, or through the urgency of his need to be rescued.  Among his kinsfolk was he, and the monotone clatter of the cab's engine marked with emphasize, his forthcoming salvation; the undeniable possibility to get away at last, as far as he could hope from that loathsome field, the path, the trampled grass, the blood saturated ground, and above all �" the victim's listless corpse, before it would be found and known to his pursuers.

‘Shut the door!’ The driver hissed in Arabic, barging into Samir's flashing thoughts, exposing unwittingly his own nervousness; dispersing by it the little amount of self-confidence, which Samir has managed to collect.

But bracing himself right away he got rid of the unjustified feeling of elation; and at the same time he managed to get over the unintended insult, which was caused by the stranger at the steering wheel. Somewhat perturbed though, Samir hastened to shut the cab's door. Instantaneously the cab started off, moving in low gear cautiously to the lane's center; speeding up gradually with ease, and was on its way. Soon they passed the museum, turned into the junction next to it and turned once more westward.

A single word hasn't been exchanged between them yet, except that angry remark, which did quite hurt Samir. But having been picked up successfully and the fact they were on their way eased his hurt pride, and he kept quiet and was somewhat passive.

The young woman at his side was rather pale. Her forced and continuous smile, which barred her even white teeth, seemed to him more as an uncontrolled grimace than a smile, which took hold of her plain face, against her will.  She must have been in a bad state of mind, scared to death no doubt he remarked to himself. But she too was calming down gradually, wiping that mechanical smile of hers off her face, and managed to develop a serene and expressionless look �" a sphinx like gaze forward, seeing nothing.     

They had to leave the city's periphery yet, away from the crowded vehicles, which abounded its streets. Away from the constant flow of traffic, which streamed so close to them; they were engulfing them and those police patrol cars with the harsh blue blinking "kojaks" that made one shudder with fright.

Turning to their left at the next junction, southward was their direction this time. They were leaving the city's heart behind, away at last from the crowded streets; packed intolerably with all sorts of vehicles. Away at last from all those indifferent faces in the passing cars, so disgustingly close!

They were crossing the suburbs through much more moderate flow of traffic now, and within a couple of minutes they left the main road westward again. The unexpected direction alarmed Samir, and caused him much concern.

Near a group of huts that reminded Samir his own village, their cab descended into a steep creek; the road curved round into a winding serpentine, leading downward to the valley, with the sun right behind them.

© Haim Kadman 1991 �" all rights reserved.

The thriller The Death Sciences for just $2.99 7-10.1.15

www.amazon.com/Haim-Kadman/e/B009Z7XL8C

© 2015 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

#suspense, #thriller, #mystery, #espionage #books. If you're a citizen of the Western part of the world or a free and enlightened thinker in any other part of the world, and you wish to understand the mentality, motives and goals of a terror organization, you'd better read these thrillers.
www.amazon.com/Haim-Kadman/e/B009Z7XL8C


Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1132 Views
1 Review
Added on January 9, 2015
Last Updated on January 9, 2015
Tags: suspense, intelligence, action, espionage, adventure

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman