Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
The minibar

The minibar

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

A short excerpt of the thriller to be published soon.

"

The minibar

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

An excerpt

About six months after that fateful meeting, Scot was sent by his New York insurance firm, to conduct a routine check of its Washington's branch, during a couple of days time. He met the branch's manager and participated in a daily meeting, and at eleven thirty am more or less, he went down to have lunch in a nearby bar-restaurant. He chose a minibar near the Washington spy museum. His choice was not influenced by nostalgia, but out of a subconscious feeling of having survived the crucial crisis of his young life.

As he crossed the minibar's threshold he perceived a familiar face at the hall far end. It was Ray Thurston he realized surprised. His ex boss was sitting all alone, but he could have been expecting a visitor. That's what Scot was sure of. He stopped at the bar's counter to have a drink and wait the fifteen minutes according to the old rules, which he has not forgotten yet; to see whether someone would join his ex boss table. But no one joined Thurston during that time, which seemed to Scot as long as eternity. He glimpsed at his watch again and gave his ex boss another two minutes. He could not believe that a prominent agency member like his ex boss passes his precious time all alone in a bar.

'Listen I'm going to join the man over there.' Scot turned to the barman. 'If I'll make you a sign send us two double Old Crows on the rocks.'

'No problem and good luck.' The barman said smiling.

As soon as he turned about he met Thurston eyes.

He identified me as soon as I entered the bar. The thought flashed in Scot's mind, but he kept walking towards Thurston table.

'Hi may I buy you a drink?' Scot asked his ex boss standing next to Thurston's table.

'Sure and sit down Greg.' Thurston answered using Scot's agency's nickname.

Scot sat down turned his face to the barman, and raised his arm.

'So how are you doing?' Thurston asked him.

'I'm fine thank you sir, I've got a job a good pay, life goes on.'

The barman himself arrived smiling politely with their drinks, and left right away.

They raised their glasses with a mute toast, drank a few drops and put the glasses back in front of them.

Thurston usual hard look seemed to have changed into a sullen face, as of an old Lakota Indian after Wounded Knee. That's how is ex boss's expression seemed to Scot.

'How are things at the agency sir?' He did not expect an update from his ex boss; he simply preferred a cautious opening.

'I'm an ordinary law abiding citizen just like you Scot. Sic transit Gloria mundi…' Thurston added with a wry smile.

'Oh I wouldn't have believed it, you of all men sir?'

'I've done my share and my grownups and grandchildren are glad to have me back.'

There were no budget's cuts off that caused my expulsion. Scot concluded amazed. Morgan must have claimed that I'm unfit.

'So I was the extracted rock that caused the avalanche, and Morgan replaced you as the department's head…' Scot retorted heated up in a low voice though.

'It's none of your business Scot!' Thurston warned him in a tired voice. 'I'm expecting some one, I'll pay the bill so…' He added clearing his throat, and left Scot no other choice but to leave his company a second time.

© Haim Kadman 2016 �" all rights reserved.

#mystery #suspense #thrillers #love #absorbing #read #novels by  author Haim #Kadman

www.amazon.com/Haim-Kadman/e/B009Z7XL8C

© 2016 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

464 Views
Added on March 29, 2016
Last Updated on March 29, 2016
Tags: #suspense, # thriller, #action, #espionae

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman