The revealation

The revealation

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

The thriller “Sic Transit Gloria Mundi” is free to download for $0.99, from the 21sth up to the 28th of August. https://www.amazon.com/Haim-Kadman/e/B009Z7XL8C

"

The revealation

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

An excerpt

About six months after that fateful meeting, Scot was sent by his New York insurance company to conduct a routine check of its Washington's branch, which was to be carried out within a couple of working days. He met the branch's manager and participated in the Washington branch's first daily meeting, and at twelve forty five more or less, he went down to have lunch in a nearby bar or a restaurant. He chose a minibar near the Washington spy museum. His choice was not influenced by nostalgia, but out of a subconscious feeling of having survived the most crucial crisis of his young life. As he crossed the minibar's threshold he saw a familiar face at the hall's far end. It was Ray Thurston he realized surprised. His ex boss was sitting all alone, with a bowed head over a glass of a drink; as if he is buried in his thoughts, or trying to hide his face from me. Scot thought at the first few seconds, as he identified him.

But he could be expecting someone, an agent that he wishes to brief in person. That's what Scot was sure of. He stopped at the bar's counter to have a drink and wait the fifteen minutes according to the old rules, which he has not forgotten yet to see whether someone would join his ex boss table. He waited patiently the fifteen minutes, although Thurston could have been sitting there all alone for quite a while. But no one came in to meet Thurston during that time, which seemed to Scot as long as eternity. He glimpsed at his wrist watch again and gave his ex boss another two minutes. He could not believe that a prominent agency member like his ex boss passes his precious time all alone in a bar. 'Listen I'm going to join the man over there.' Scot turned to the barman. 'If I'll make you a sign send us two double Old Crows on the rocks.'

'No problem and good luck.' The barman said smiling.

As soon as Scot left his seat and turned about he met Thurston eyes. He identified me as soon as I entered the bar. The thought flashed in Scot's mind, while he kept walking towards Thurston table.

'Hello sir may I buy you a drink?' Scot asked his ex boss standing next to Thurston's table.

'Sure and sit down Greg.' Thurston answered using Scot's old agency's nickname.

Scot sat down opposite Thurston and turned his face to the barman, he smiled to him and nodded slightly his head; and after he was sure that the barman got his message, he turned back to face his ex boss.

'So how are you doing?' Thurston asked him.

'I'm fine thank you sir, I've got a job a good pay, life goes on.'

The barman himself arrived smiling politely with their drinks; he put it before each one of them, and left right away. They raised their glasses with a mute toast, drank a few drops and put the glasses back in front of them. Thurston usual hard look seemed to have changed into a sullen mien, as of an old Lakota Indian right after Wounded Knee. That's how is ex boss's saddened expression seemed to Scot.

'How are things at the agency sir?' He did not expect a detailed update from his ex boss, but he simply preferred a cautious opening.

'I'm an ordinary law abiding citizen just like you Scot. Sic transit Gloria mundi…' Thurston added with a wry smile.

'Oh I wouldn't have believed it, you of all men sir?'

'I've done my share and my grownups and grandchildren are glad to have me back.'

There were no budget's cuts off, which caused the end of my project and my forced resignation... Scot concluded amazed. Morgan must have declared with certainty that I'm unfit.

'So I was the extracted rock that caused the avalanche, and Morgan replaced you as the division's head!' Scot exclaimed heated up in a low voice though.

'It's none of your business Scot!' Thurston warned him in a tired voice. 'I'm expecting someone, I'll pay the bill so…' He added clearing his throat, and left Scot no other choice but to leave his company a second time.

All rights © belong to Haim Kadman �" 2017.

The thriller “Sic Transit Gloria Mundi” is free to download for $0.99, from the 21sth up to the 28th of August.

https://www.amazon.com/Haim-Kadman/e/B009Z7XL8C

© 2017 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

537 Views
Added on August 21, 2017
Last Updated on August 21, 2017
Tags: suspense, intelligence, espionage, action, adventure, love

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman