An unexpected affair

An unexpected affair

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

A short and unpexpected encounter turns into a love affair.

"

An unexpected affair

A haphazard meeting during a visit in a local museum, turned into an overwhelming love affair.

He saw her standing before one of the museum’s most advertised abstract painting, which he was not fond of at all; the sight of her lithe body as she was standing in front of that certain painting attracted him, although all he saw was her long dark hair and her back and her narrow waist.

The museum was almost empty at that late hour, and there was no museum attendant in sight; thus except getting nearer to that certain young woman and have a glimpse of her face, that was all Bruce Call wished to do, to have a good look at her features. He approached her rather cauthiouly and stopped at her left side, as if he too wishes to watch that certain abstract painting.

As she noticed his presence beside her, she turned to look at his face and uttered to his surprise just these threee words: ‘Amazing isn’t it?’

Well yes,’ he muttered as he watched her pretty face. He didn’t dare of course to express his own view, because he was astounded by her good looks; despite her advanced age, which was quite close to his own. Her unexpected welcome to a complete stranger as he infact is, surprised and encouraged him at the same time. ‘Are you a painter or just an art lover?’ He dared to ask her without introducing himself to her.

I’m an art lover and how about you?’ She answered him smiling, though he expected a quite different attitude on her side, a kind of a cut off, in which she would turn her back to him and leave his company.

I do draw and paint from time to time, but I’m a writer.’

Oh really how intresting, now if you don’t mind...’

Would you’ve lunch with me please?’ He barged into her unfinished answer.

I don’t know you...’


My name is John Winslow and I do deem myself very lucky to have met you haphazardly.’

I’m glad to meet you John, my name is Nora, and I do except your kind invitation; but too early for lunch and it should take place here, at the museum’s cafeteria.’

Alright let get there then,’ He said smiling and stood up, ready to escort her to the museum’s cafeteria.


He kept sneaking looks at her as he walked beside her, while they left the modern art gallery, on their way to the museum cafeteria. They did not exchange any words as they crossed the museum huge lobby, but she met his eyes several times with a shade of a smile on her pursued lips.

She does like me it seems, John thought encouraged. While he kept sneaking looks at her beautiful features, as they crossed the museum’s broad lobby, and entered the cafeteria.

Nora chose the nearest free table to the entrance, and John pulled back the chair on which she wished to sit; and helped her to settle down on it; and only then he moved to his own chair opposite the beautiful Nora.

So you’re an art lover, aren’t you?’ Nora turned to him right away, without any signs of hesitation.

Yes just as you’re I guess,’ he answered her smiling. ‘What will you have Nora?’

Oh just coffee thanks John, that’s your name isn’t it?’

Yes that’s right Nora,’ he admitted and raised his arm to summon one of the two waiters.

I was sure it’s a self service cafeteria.’ Nora exclaimed surprised.

Well it’s a double function service cafeteria, and I prefare to be served.’

As they were the only customers that expected to be served, one of the bored waiters turned to their table.

Well I don’t know what our haphazard encounter means to you, but to me it isn’t just a pure coincidence, but some kind of a chance for a new start...’

That’s well said John but we hardly know each other, and we don’t know whether we’re free to even think of more than a polite encounter that won’t repeat itself.’

You’re right Nora we’d better introduce ourselves down to earth, I’m a widower some five years already; I’m a painter and an art critic, I’ve had a dozen exhibitions already and one is still running at the Saatchi gallery up to the end of the month.’

Oh really,’ Nora muttered but as she noticed the approaching waiter, she did not add the few more words she wished to say.

What will you have Nora?’ John asked her, as the waiter reached their table.

Just a cup of coffee please and nothing more.’ She answered quite dryly. John cleared his throat with a note of disappointment, but ordered their choice.

Two cups of coffee please,’ He ordered and as the waiter left their table, John watched Nora’s eyes with expectaion.

Her cautious attitude shouldn’t surprise me, we really don’t know each other yet. John concluded as he turned his eyes, and watched the retreating waiter. But hardly a few seconds passed he turned to Nora, and told her that he wishes to see her again.

Oh I see, do scribble your phone number on a piece of paper, and...’ But she cut herself off, as she noticed the approaching waiter.

They drank in silence, John passed her his card, and walked her to nearest bus stop sure he’ll never hear from her again.

Just two days passed and she called him, and this surprising phone call was the beginning of a long and stable relationship.

@ Haim Kadman 2020 �" all rights reserved.



© 2020 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on August 9, 2020
Last Updated on August 9, 2020
Tags: literrature, short story, encounter, museum, painging

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman