Praise and suspicion

Praise and suspicion

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

A full chapter as an excerpt of my thriller “The Bait”.

"


Praise and suspicion

The bait

Chapter 23


At about four pm Igor entered her “class room”, which was the clear daily manifestation that the day of learning is over. Vera hastened to pack up her pen and the grammar booklet in her handbag with relief, while Fabrizio coughed slightly and lowered his face with its saddened expression; it was his usual reaction at the end of day, whenever Igor came in at that same hour each day to drive Vera back home. As soon as Vera left her seat and was ready to leave Fabrizio raised his head, and thanked her in a low voice; and kept watching her till she left the room with Igor.

How long am I supposed to continue teaching him Igor?’ She wondered aloud, letting her operator to understand how tired and sick she is of Fabrizio’s company, and his beseeching eyes.

Well it depends on Fabrizio’s advancement, and you’re the one to evaluate his advancement.’

If his advancement will depend on my evaluation alone, he’ll never show any signs of advancement Igor.’

Alright I got your message Vera, I’ll check it with the right authorities; but don’t you enjoy teaching him, it’s a much better job than your previous one, don’t you think so?’


That’s how it looks to you Igor, or to anyone else but not to me...’

But you’ve surely got used to it by now, so do be patient please and suffer his company for a couple of weeks more or less.’ He added without letting her know how this “easy job” is going to end up.

He stopped the car next to the entrance to her apartment building.

See you tomorrow Vera.’ He muttered as she was about to get off. She just nodded her head with obvious disappointment, opened the car door and got off.

They won’t let me return to my previous job, she thought while sitting in their empty apartment. She had time enough to prepare dinner until her Dima will return from another day of training, and will tell her all about it. She had some second thoughts on the short conversation she had with Igor, a few moments earlier. He scolded me in fact in his last words, and I fear that they’ll not let me return to my previous job; as he termed it in his last sentence. They may have registered me as a member in that organization of theirs without my knowledge, which is so typical to them. Why didn’t I ask him…? My God how timid I’m whenever I’ve to find out what my lot is, and particularly in this sensitive situation.

Dimitri arrived at about six pm, in high spirits. ‘I was interviewed by our chief instructor in person, and you won’t believe how he praised me dearest Sonichka.’ He told her between kisses and while embracing her in his strong arms.

In what did you excel my love?’

In our demolition lessons and in neutralizing booby traps...’

What exactly are booby traps?’ She asked her Dima with her first inklings of suspicion.

It’s explosive charges put inside ordinary items, which are used every day by everyone; and when someone touches a trapped item, it explodes and kills him or it injures him if he’s lucky enough.’ Dimitri explained these fearful details to his Sonichka with enthusiasm and pride.

@ Haim Kadman 2020 �" all rights reserved.


© 2020 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

53 Views
Added on August 16, 2020
Last Updated on August 16, 2020
Tags: suspense, thriller, literature, prose, lecture, praise

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman