Were Death To Come

Were Death To Come

A Poem by icelandicblue

Were Death to come and meet me
I would put my hands in his,
and leave out all my questions-
for what was no longer is.

Were Death to come and meet me
I might caress his face,
and wonder if he were lonely
not owning time or place.

Were Death to come and meet me
I would heave a heavy sigh,
for no matter what life's misery
I'm not sure I want to die.

Were Death to come and meet me
I would not say his name
but pray that his arrival
would be wrought with little pain

But Death has come to meet me
he awaits my final kiss,
now I promise, I promise,
I promise, not to miss.

© 2013 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

wow i am so glad this found its way back to the front page....i missed this the fisrt time.

this reminds me so much of Emily Dickinson's "because i could not stop for death"

making death out to be more of a gentleman caller than the grim reaper...more like a date...

and you wrote such a beautiful allegory here...

to touch his face, caress, kiss...ah yes.
in sensual terms...speaking of the meeting.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
-- i think this is the first poem i've read about "death" on this site which doesn't express fear... -- and i think it's particularly perceptive of you to write about how "death" might be "lonely" because of "not owning time or place"... -- excellent stuff... -- a very unique take...

Posted 8 Years Ago


Have always thought of Death, being female, not sure, why, but I do. Being the soul, who offers the final kiss of mercy, taking away, my pain and sorrow. Maybe, it's my poetic soul speaking, to a world that grown harsh, to life's little mercies, which make it liveable.

Posted 9 Years Ago


therisa

9 Years Ago

Your welcome, Icelandicblue. Always thought, you have been writing on the WC, for longer than you ha.. read more
icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

No, two years this December. It took me a while to find just the right place.
therisa

9 Years Ago

Am glad, you found it, here.
I really enjoyed your take on death in this poem. Instead of characterizing death with typical grim reaper imagery, you really humanize death. The images about the speaker caressing his face did a particularly good job of reversing the traditional imagery.

I also really liked that the speaker eases into acceptance in this poem. She starts off with appreciation about leaving the only world she has every know, the world she treasures, which you describe so well in the third stanza. The journey between that stanza to the closure of the last stanza is truly captivating.



Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you Clockwork. I appreciate it. It's good to see you.
wow i am so glad this found its way back to the front page....i missed this the fisrt time.

this reminds me so much of Emily Dickinson's "because i could not stop for death"

making death out to be more of a gentleman caller than the grim reaper...more like a date...

and you wrote such a beautiful allegory here...

to touch his face, caress, kiss...ah yes.
in sensual terms...speaking of the meeting.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Anne, phenomenal write. Absolutely beloved. A new favorite. I love the refrain throughout this piece. You are an incredibly gifted writer. Your pieces just knock my socks off. Thank you! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and commenting on this. Your enthusiasm for the piece is really appreciated.
Courageous writing for a young lady who shows that if fears exists it is not in her soul.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading and commenting.
Were Death to come and meet me
I would heave a heavy sigh,
for no matter what life's misery
I'm not sure I want to die.

Spot on verse work, Icyblue.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

My very first post here! Thank you for digging this one up. Thanks so much Pryde.
Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

I've been rummaging as of late … nice to see a poets earlier work:)
I enjoyed the poem. I have a series of books based in the incarnations written by Pier Anthony. A complete tale of death life. The poem reminded me of his books. They are very good. I like how you would welcome death without fear and accept the journey. We should. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Coyote. The journey brings us to him eventually. It is something we all share.
Deep and profound piece of art, i like poetry on fiction and nothing is more honest than death...simply brilliant...

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Amos.
A. Amos

10 Years Ago

You're most welcome my friend
I went back to the beginning, and plucked this one. This is an exceptionally beautiful personification of Death, and should be foreboding, but mostly, it's not. A really original piece, rooted in the thoughts of millions of poets around the world. Fantastic.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Now you are spoiling me. The first review I got on this site wasn't great and I wondered if I had st.. read more
Lyn Anderson

10 Years Ago

Ahh, I believe once I like someone's stuff, I try to go back and troll around at the beginning. I di.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1018 Views
35 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on December 8, 2012
Last Updated on May 11, 2013
Tags: death, life, mortality

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..