Dacha Ruminations

Dacha Ruminations

A Poem by icelandicblue
"

Dacha- a Russian summer house

"
Tarnished samovar,

dons an attic dweller's patina,

worn heavily and

filled with other lives.


Evaporated steam’s

tracks swirl in Cyrillic fonts,

fossils of former centerpieces

in dacha ruminations.


Tea cries out for the warmth

of its handcrafted creator,

to cup its leaves of history

in its own silent revolution.


While hard boiled eggs and pickled beets

wait on white porcelain plates,

beyond the centuries, where distant

laughter rolls above bent shingles.

© 2013 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I spent three months working in Moscow alongside Russian guys, two of whom had small dachas in the birchwoods outside the city. These places tend to be handed down through the generations, and the same small plot can have been owned by the same family for hundreds of years with just a small shack...replaced as the old place rots or enlarged as the fortunes of the family improves, or not as the case may be. They have always been regarded as a sanctuary by Muscovites - even under communism. You`ve recreated the strong sense of tradition and simplicity of lifestyle in this piece, Blue. P.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Pete-
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am happy that the piece spoke to you for s.. read more



Reviews

Feel like, am curled up, on a settee, with a Dostoyevsky's novel, sitting on my lap, as I sip, my sweeten tea, listening to, a Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky symphony, on a scratchy turntable. A similar image that comes to my mind, when I read Boris Pasternak's "Doctor Zhivago". He could write both proses and verse, with a rare gift that was lost, with his dead.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you therisa. I have always been partial to this poem and I am happy that you felt a bit of Rus.. read more
therisa

9 Years Ago

It reminded me, of my Russian Lit course, I took, in my first year, at Carleton University, Icelandi.. read more
Effectively described, i liked this poem. Makes one want to be there. Very nice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and commenting.
I just want to nestle up in your read and have a cup of hospitable tea...and the pickled beets sound good too. I googled these homes, and they are lovely, most old reminders of a different time and place. This was warm and inviting, the same feel I got from looking at those dwellings.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Frieda P

11 Years Ago

I bet they don't use bags in that house either. ;-) My pleasure blue.
icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Bags-ugh-tea dust!
Frieda P

11 Years Ago

ha so funny, that's exactly what my friend calls them too.
I spent three months working in Moscow alongside Russian guys, two of whom had small dachas in the birchwoods outside the city. These places tend to be handed down through the generations, and the same small plot can have been owned by the same family for hundreds of years with just a small shack...replaced as the old place rots or enlarged as the fortunes of the family improves, or not as the case may be. They have always been regarded as a sanctuary by Muscovites - even under communism. You`ve recreated the strong sense of tradition and simplicity of lifestyle in this piece, Blue. P.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Pete-
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am happy that the piece spoke to you for s.. read more
I like this. It has a flavor of family and tradition, of beautiful old things holding beautiful old memories. It nostalgic and sad, at the same time it is sweet and happy.
Great write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for dropping in.
Angel

11 Years Ago

You are very welcome.
Such imagery!!! I love the wording and the phrasing in this one. I would quote a few lines, but I'd end up pasting the entire poem. You have a talent, my friend, and I am glad I stumbled upon your work. I shall be a subscriber to you now. Wish I had more of a critique, but this was great.

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I take that as the highest of compliments coming from you!
you get us there with your descriptions...

i like the use of "cup" as a verb here...

there is no warmth...just hospitality on hold.

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much jacob. I appreciate your poetic eye.
A wonderful trip back to another time and far off place. Just lovely!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Red!
this is a clever excursion out to the" russian country house" with some gleeful and pointed metaphors , nothing cryptic about this write, it is all well penned academia. loved it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much.
quinfinn

11 Years Ago

always welcome.....
Great words play and metaphor, stunning progression. I enjoy reading this unique wording and fresh ideas.

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Hi Marc, good to see you.

Thanks so much!!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

402 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 4, 2013
Last Updated on May 5, 2013

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Skipping Skipping

A Poem by Holly Mason