White Gloves

White Gloves

A Poem by icelandicblue

Faded moonlight and
twinkling lights strung between
posts frame the glorious
youth shucking off the
patina of childhood.

Like lustrous pearls
they gleam with the
polish of promised
paths paved in optimism.

Naïveté
brimming with bravado
sweeps across the dance
floor in a crescendo of
lives not yet lived;

Oh to be them once more!
Where the future awaits
like a proud mother
and the cold hand

of disappointment remains
strategically gloved.

© 2013 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is certainly one of the best poems about youth that I've read so far. Your insightful tone as you observe these not-children-not-quite-adults is marvelous. It's the truth; youth is here and gone in the blink of an eye, and those flamboyant teenage dreams will have to be abandoned in order to face the cold tundra of adulthood.

I enjoyed the tiny tidbit of foreign language that you used (although I have no idea what the language is...). Overall that second to last stanza was my favorite, probably because you described a teenager's energy and confidence there like I've never seen before.

I'll tell you the same thing that I tell everyone...I am not a poet. Nor am I a very good poetry reviewer. But I always try my hardest to give a thorough review. Some are longer, if I have more to say, and some are shorter, simply because I don't have much of an opinion.

Anyway, if my interpretation of your poetry is ever miles off the mark, I apologize. It happens often, so do be warned.

You're a great poet, and I enjoyed this first impression. Well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

I am impressed by your thoughtful review and I think your interpretation is spot on. I thank you so .. read more
Luna Evangeline

11 Years Ago

Nice to meet you as well :)



Reviews

this give the feeling of the yerning to be youthfull to be once more a child,the desire of making choises, the thing of being protected most of life untill they break free. well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is impressive, one of my favorite poems so far.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a very insightful poem, one that every teenager should read. I don’t believe that Naiveté has ever been creatively personified before as someone who forcefully dances across the floor empowered by “lives not yet lived“ , a “crescendo“. Very good! I’m studying how you use language if you don’t mind. You personified the future too.

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thank you once again for your in depth review. I only recently realized how much I use personificati.. read more
Aethereal

11 Years Ago

With me everything is forethought because I'm always analyzing how, and why I do the things. Your mi.. read more
I love this and I hate it at the same time. I love it for the picture that you paint of naive, carefree youth. I KNOW that state. But I hate this poem for the puddle of mortality that it shoves me into. This poem brings to mind the terrifying speed of the years (hummm is that the seed of some poem?) and it reminds me of that hideous old man in the mirror.

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

I love that you can feel the duality of the poem in your bones. Time flies even when you are not ha.. read more
Creepy Swine Guy

11 Years Ago

I get what you write ... well I get something from it. I always feel it.
Very nicely crafted, the imagery's beautiful as well. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thanks for reading.
I envision the youth you've laid out before us here to be standing, toes dangling over the back steps overlooking one of jay Gatsbys parties, mouths not agape but rather, smugly satisfied with what appears to be another. cool. party. The tingle they feel is not anticipation, but rather the embrace of 'this night'. Little do they know these parties do not last and cannot be captured on camera phone and memories cannot be tagged and posted. They can be lived, though.

The first three stanzas really sparkled for me.

CM

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thank you for your sparkling review. : )
Blue, you have tapped into our minds and revealed thoughts we try to hide from others. To be at that point in life again where a step in any direction carves out our future, or to watch our children standing at that threshold preparing to take the leap. Very nice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thanks Jack, your reviews are always a pleasure.
Oh to be on the verge of adulthood again!! Such a poignant moment that we don't really appreciate till we are well beyond it!! Once again you write with such delicate beauty and precise style! Love this.. ;-)

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Hi Red! Thanks so much. It's always nice to see you.
Perfect description of that in~between~time. No longer a small child and not yet an adult, either. When you fear nothing, when all seems so possible. I remember that feeling well! Lovely poem!

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Hello! Thanks so much for your comment. It does seem like yesterday.
A marvelous poem indeed...:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much!
Sami Khalil

11 Years Ago

My pleasure...:)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 14, 2013
Last Updated on May 14, 2013

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..