The Tell Tale Poet

The Tell Tale Poet

A Story by icelandicblue
"

Beware the friendships you accept for they are not all equal nor are they all friendships.

"
You friended me twice
I should have gone with my gut
you
     had
          never
                  read
                        one
                             word
                                    of
                                      mine

But the second time you requested I relented and did not say no, the benefit of the doubt and all that, let's check this fellow out...

He fancies himself Poe reincarnate, the poem wasn't bad...fast friends
don't last when the bulk mail of read requests get dumped at your door and I had the nerve
to private message "Nevermore." Please reciprocate before the body of your work is left bleeding on my steps (that was the implication, I was much nicer when I said it).

He told me it was nothing personal...he had 400 friends he was writing a book he was busy...he'd get to my work sometime. I wrote back I wasn't whining, we're all busy but to please not fill my inbox with read requests until he felt that I was more than just a repository for his work. I would be happy to unfriend him, no hard feelings, should he find that request too difficult. He didn't like that. He doesn't want to be my "friend." anymore.

All this took place within 48 hours. I wasn't cooperative. I couldn't be one of the 400 who didn't question his friendship. He didn't have time to read a word of mine but he did read my messages. I suppose that's something. He blocked me in the stealth of night and I suppose some "friends" are too much work. He did leave me one more read request, like a cat leaves the gift of a dead mouse on your doorstep. But this poem was more like bloody breadcrumbs placed more for me to see what his genius had done. I had been banned, he knew I would foolishly click on his poem, and the sooner I knew my non-status the better, for I was no longer worth his time.So annoying was I for questioning him unfriending was not enough. I questioned the man behind the curtain about fairness and he reacted in a ball of blustery indignation.

To do it again...I just should have said NO once again to the second friend request. Let this be a lesson to all...don't let some high faluten' poet use you to boost his ego up onto the popular board or use you to read his poems like piece work you never get paid for on any level. We all deserve a bit of reciprocity, respect, feedback and support...isn't that what a friend is?

Choose carefully, everyone who extends a hand of friendship, everyone here is not here to be your friend. We share an interest in poetry, sometimes only in our own. Respect yourself and your time and never be afraid to speak up. There are some poets who are big babies and others who are big bullies. I'm just looking to read, learn, enjoy, perhaps make a friend or two and improve this pastime of mine some of you kindly call poetry.



© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

BRAVO!! I wonder if the person you refer to is the same one who has sent me multiple friend requests even though I deleted him. Seven or eight months ago I accepted his friend request...then received numerous read requests. In the next two months he did not reveiew my work once. When he published some long.. rambling..error filled write about why he was giving up writing which then ended up putting him in the top writers I deleted him. Since then I have received four friend requests and two messages extolling his wonderful writes. Once again...not one single review of my work. Ive noticed a handful of writers on here like this...its not the norm. Though I have had a few writers message me asking me to read a new poem of theres when the standard protocol on here is to review and then you receive a review in return. In three of these cases I did in fact review the write and received no review in return. Sigh...

To be honest if you have 400 friends theres little chance you can keep up with the reviews and comments you receive. Not unless you are seriously committed or have no other life. With a few exceptions...those with huge friends lists are most often one sided relationships. You may get an occasional pat on the head if lucky but otherwise you are just someone to stroke their ego. I prefer to stick with those who are more personal then that and actually enjoy reading other peoples work.

Amazing rant...well said.... applause here!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

I am sure it is the same person. He doesn't even respond to comments on his work. He's too lofty. Fo.. read more



Reviews

Yeah, there has been a lot of this going on as of late...it's been an issue on this site for as long as I've been here (just over two years) and it seems to be coming more prevalent. I haven't been active in the last few weeks as I've traditionally been...there are several reasons for that, and most are health-related, but I've grown tired of the back-scratching system that so many people seem intent on turning this site into. Now we've been friends for a while so you may have noticed that I read and review in bunches, mainly due to time constraints...but I don't carry around several hundred friends with the time constraints I have, so I'm sure to keep my group of friends designated to those I truly enjoy reading and getting to know (such as you) as opposed to people that can simply pitch in the odd review to pad my ego...now I USED to be that kind of person, but I owe it to my friends on the site (again, you are one) to changing that philosophy, which really isn't reflective of the spirit of the site. Anyways, sorry I'm getting rambly, I didn't think I was gonna say this much haha But I know just where you're coming from, and remember, you may not hear from me every day, but you know you will regularly, because I enjoy reading and talking about your work, not because I'm fishing for attention for mine ;)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

You put so much effort into your reviews Steve. You are a giver in life not a taker. I just put it o.. read more
I hope that he doesn’t have the same “nevermore” ending as Poe had. As for me, I’m just a chipmunk incarnate who writes for the joy of writing, and reads for the joy of reading. I’m always on the lookout for a well formed poetic acorn to add to my stash.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

You are much too busy gathering acorns Aethereal. You are a giver of reviews and of poems.
Aethereal

10 Years Ago

You're welcome, Oh, great oak tree!
And yet we should thank them who so annoyed you, for inspiring such a poetic expression of frustration - giggle, no it wasn't me!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

LOL I know it wasn't you. ; ) Thanks for commenting.
I turned off my read request years ago when a certain poet here flooded me with his poems. I don't know who the writer your referring to is but you're certainly right for thinking the way you do. occasionally, i still get friend requests from people I never here from again once I've accepted. I know their just trying to get me to read loads of poems they've written.

I once threatened to make a list of people who sent me friend requests but never read anything of mine. I've also written about the problem in the past. This should be sent to all new poets who enter the site for the first time. Good for you for writing it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

It is an annoyance these little vampire poets who only want to suck on your poetic blood. I am going.. read more
Very well said'. I have been on this site for many years and reviewed much in the beginning but it was taking its toll and for much the same of what you have written out. I still review from time to time and the same goes for writing but not like I did once upon a while ago. Excellent message.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you Legion. This is what I do in my leisure time...it's not my job. I appreciate you sharing y.. read more
That sitituation is truely the most annoying not just here but in general. Well done and bravo with how you wrote this!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Kasey, sometimes what you see is all you get. ; )
Blue my friend, you have put into clear and powerful words something I have just started to wonder about. The last several weeks are my "busy season", so I have been slow getting to RRs and not posting as much as I would like. My RRs are often crowded with several pieces from one poet who, as you point out, never reads anything of mine and never replies to reviews. So busy, I didn't give it much thought until this past weekend. If it is the same poet, I have to say that I am not particularly fond of the fact that so many of his pieces contain vulgarity - seems like a default. I will soon be doing a major overhaul of my friends list!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

I know what you mean. We are here to enjoy ourselves, not to be work horses for someone's selfishnes.. read more
I so sympathize with you on this. I get friend requests too but ignore ones that don't read and put up a review or two first. It depends on the person that put up a review or more, I might accept right away or wait a bit to accept to see how they are. I had one or two like this, I don't review theirs again till they review mine. As you have seen said on my profile, parts of it mentions I won't friend unless you read and put a review up first. But some still think I will slip, and for me that won't happen ever. It's the old saying, you have to give to get, just as they would want the same on their end.

I had some others come and review just to see who this person is that others are suddenly at once making a review on knowing I have been on a long while and also I know is seeing my reviews on who we both are friends with. I pay no mind to those but I just leave one review on one of their pieces and see where it goes after. And most those ones haven't reviewed back. To them, no skin off my nose, and move on. One one even wanted a friend request that I haven't responded to and probably won't and will sit on the list with the others.

If one has that many, it's as if it's a popularity contest, lol. And who needs that many??? If so go to Facebook for that. Even then certain people might be sceptical in wanting to be friends. I don't have to many myself, and like it that way. I'm careful who I accept or whose I want to read. I do leave the requests there so I know who not to go to, since they are the ones that have not made any review/s yet. Like you, I will not sit on someone's friends list to make them look good. It's easier for me to keep track when searching for new reads from others who aren't on my list.

Love and enjoyed this outspoken piece. And nothing wrong with that when you need to be. I can be this way too, ha. :o)

@{/:o)



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I suppose there are life lessons to be learned even on the internet. I, like you,.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
BlackRose

10 Years Ago

It's fine to expect more, since we are like this. As long as we have reasonable expectations, and we.. read more
How beautifully executed and how wonderfully accurate! Mind you, can't believe there's only one of those mentioned: why - in X years i must have come across at least twenty cloned creatures of the masculine gender who think they're superbeings cos they can recite the ABC and their mother's have mangles that work!!

Recently closed here cos i know how many requests come from blinkered beings who wear their demands like armour.. life has its moments however. Coming back today for a while, reading your wonderfully literate rant and reactions to it, it's more than obvious there are heavy boots trampling our gentle quiet.. (yes, it does exist, now and again!)

Best we do what we should and must.. your rant and reaction to it is rather like a public petition. More signatures please!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Emma. I appreciate your support and commiserate with you as well. Of all the taker.. read more
I guess you have penned my feelings here to a T.I get friend request then I accept next thing I know read requests know no end although my "friends" tend not to reciprocate.There are some people who would take advantage of anyone given the chance.I get it Blue it has pissed me off more times than I can count.Thankfully the nice people outnumber the idiots :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

I too believe that generosity will outweigh selfishness in the end. I also think we need to be selec.. read more
Vidya Bacchus

10 Years Ago

You are welcome Blue.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1538 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 22, 2014
Last Updated on April 22, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


HAMAS HAMAS

A Poem by Baby Ricochet