Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by jaholland

Raven stretched out on her cot watching out the large cathedral window she was lucky enough to be near. The crimson evening sky began to fill with twinkling stars and fireflies. She watched as the little bugs weaved in and out of the thick forest that sat nestled behind the orphanage. Raven's mind drifted to the last time she was in that forest...I wonder if my shoe is still there she thought. She then remembered her breakdown...and then the first encounter with the blue eyes. She still wasn't sure what it was all about. Maybe it was just coincidence...but it had felt so real! A frown creased Raven's brow as she thought about that dreadful day.

Shuffled footsteps drew her attention to the door and she watched as her roomate skipped in.   Jax had a bright smile for her as usual which lifted Raven's spirits a bit. Raven turned back to the window after watching Jax retrieve her books and paper to start her homework on one of the old wooden desks.  Raven had already had plenty of time to do hers because of her punishment.  Deciding to make the most of it, she had also read two additional chapters in history. Accepting her doom to lay on her bed in complete boredom while her friend worked on her studies, Raven didn't see Jax tiptoe over to her with a sneaky gleem in her eyes.

"Here" she whispered.

Raven held out her hands and in dropped a large muffin and a shiny red apple cut into fours. Raven's mouth dropped..

"How did you..."

Jax began to laugh.

"I'm sneaky as I am cute!" she giggled.

A warm smile spread across Raven's face that reached all the way to her heart. She didn't know why it always surprised her that she really did have a true friend in Jax. Maybe it was because she had only been there a couple of days and she felt like she had known her, her whole life. No matter what it was, she knew she would never want to know a day without her. 

Raven began to munch on her blueberry muffin as Jax skipped back to the desk with half of the apple that Raven insisted she take. Turning back to the window, she sighed happily watching nightfall slowly creep in. Just as she was certain the night was going to win over the day once again, Raven spied something, or someone walking from the building into the woods. The figure looked familiar but it was too dark to make out any features. She knew it was a boy, he was tall and had dark hair...hmmm. Raven got up to go tell Jax, but even before she could take three steps, he disappeared into the thick brush.  Raven with her curiosity on high alert  pressed her nose to the coolness of the window pane.  She was going to look out of it all night if she had to.  Mostly because the mystique of it all, but part of her did want to make sure he came back out alive. 

Raven was in very deep thought when a hand on her shoulder made her jump almost out of her skin.  Jax burst into laughter when she saw how badly she scared Raven.

"Whoa, you  musta been on another planet" Jax said trying her hardest not to laugh again.

Raven grinned "something like that....hey Jax, is there any reason someone would need to go into the forest at night?"

Jax looked at her like she had a second head.

"Um, no.  That would like...be insane!  There's bears and wildcats in there.  You'd have to be insane or extremely desperate to go in there during the day, at night..well that's just a death wish".

Raven thought it best not to bring up her little jaunt into the woods.

" Yeah, I thought so too, but I just saw someone go in there."

"Who???"

"I'm not sure". Raven wanted to tell her she thought it was Nikolas but something held her back.  " it was almost dark and I could only see the back of him"

Jax pressed her nose to the glass at the bottom of the window.  They both remained silent staring out the window with their breath ever so softly fogging it up. 

A loud BANG!!  Behind them practically sent both of the girls through the roof.  Turning slowly they discovered Jax' text books had slid off her desk and hit the floor.  Still clutching her chest, Jax collected her books piling them under her bed.

"Raven, we better get to bed.  Bed check will be any minute and if they catch us out of bed, then no breakfast.  Even though it's not a very good breakfast, I'm still always starving in the morning"

Raven agreed and changed quickly into her nightgown, climbing in bed just in time to hear "lights out!".   Laying her head on her pillow Raven looked up into the moonlit window still wondering about the boy and the forest when out of the darkness a whisper came.

" Good night Raven"

Raven smiled in spite of the current drama.

"Good night Jax" she whispered back.

Raven wasn't sure how she would ever fall asleep with the mystery brewing outside.  Perhaps it was exhaustion from the whole Angelique episode, or finding some peace in her new best friend, but sleep did come quickly and for that Raven was grateful.

Just as the sun began peeking above the horizon, Raven found herself up and dressed, ready to begin the day.  It was her turn to happily annoy Jax out of her slumber.

"C'mon sleepy head" poked Raven.

A grin spread across Jax face as her arm came up and walloped Raven upside her head with a pillow.  The two burst into a fit of giggles and began pummeling each other with the goosedown sacks.  Squeals of laughter echoed in the room but were quickly squashed once the gloom of the morning bells clanged.

Quickly Raven went back to her own bed, making sure all her corners were tucked.  She then smoothed her hair with her fingers knowing after that pillow war it was probably in quite a disarray.  Tying it tight with her ribbon, she stood quietly next to Jax.  She had a small case of the bellyflies as she liked to call it...it felt like little wings were fluttering all over in there.  She hadn't seen Angelique since yesterday and wasn't sure what would be in store after all the trouble in the second floor bathroom.

The usual footsteps sounded again and Jax glanced at Raven and gave her the be brave look.  Raven gave her a nod and stiffened her spine.  Bring on the trolls she thought.  The unmistakable click of shoes echoed on the stairs.  The closer they got, the more Raven's "bellyflies" fluttered. 

"Raven" drawled the pointy face beast.

Raven looked up for a moment into the black lifeless eyes and silently shuddered.

"I hear you gave Angelique some trouble yesterday"

Raven wasn't sure what to say or do.  She stole a glance at the blonde headed viper who was all too happy watching her squirm.

"Ma'am?" All she could think to do was play dumb.

"Angelique says you were more interested in story time than you were doing your chores which is why your room wasn't finished."

Raven glared at Angelique.  She wanted so badly to tell Ms. Teeny the real reason she didn't finish was because her three stooges were too busy trying to shove her head in a pee-filled toilet.  She knew Angelique would deny it and she would just end up in more trouble.  Raven bowed her head.

"Yes ma'am." Raven said gritting her teeth.

"We don't take kindly to lazy layabouts Raven.  If it happens again, you may not have that nice comfy bed to sleep in, or nice clothes to wear.  We can make your life here a lot more.......uncomfortable". Ms. Teeny said with a smile.

Raven kept her head down and whispered " yes ma'am".  It was all she could do to keep from exploding and telling them exactly where they could shove their "nice comfy bed". But she knew Jax was watching, willing her to stay silent.  They both knew that if she did lose it and they made her leave, it could be the end of their friendship as well. The only satisfaction Raven felt was when she glimpsed at the bandaged finger of Angelique.  She was glad it was her she bit, and she hoped it hurt....a lot. 

The terrible two moved on to Jax and of course had some snooty comments for her as well but it was nothing new.  Eventually they moved on and then back down the stairs.  Raven let out a long sigh of relief.  It was over, finally.  She hadn't realized how little she had been breathing since they walked in.  As they got in line to go to breakfast Jax grabbed her hand and squeezed it.  Raven smiled and squeezed back...little did Jax know she truly was a life saver.

     The reason for her excitement returned to her as they made their way to the cafeteria.  She was dying to know if Nikolas would be there, if he could possibly be the boy that went into the woods last night.  Slowly they filed in and took their seats.  Raven watched attentively as the boys took their seats.  She didn't see him!  Her heart began to pound and she began to wonder if maybe she should tell someone.  What if he was in some kind of trouble?  Deep in thought, Raven practically jumped out of her seat when a hand was placed on her shoulder.  Looking up Raven stared into the blue eyes that had been missing.  Raven blushed deeply as Nikolas flashed her a grin.

"Hey there...Raven?  Here this is for you" he said while handing her a note.

Her heart was hammering in her chest...why would he be giving her a note, and in front of everyone in the cafeteria?  She didn't get a chance to ask him because he was gone just as quickly as he came.  Jax looked like she was ready to explode with curiosity.  Even thought they were not allowed to speak, Jax couldn't help herself.

"what is it?  It's a note!  Who's it from? Did you write one first?..." she fiercely whispered.

With shaky fingers Raven opened the folded note.  Inside there was a short message scrawled on the paper.

Dear Raven,

Please come see me after breakfast.

Sincerely,

Miss Vargo

Raven slouched back into her seat unable to hide her disappointment. Handing the note to Jax, she too gave a look of disappointment after reading it.

"Oh well...at least it was nothing bad!"  Jax whispered, trying to lift her friend's spirits.  

Raven smiled and nodded.  That was true, could have been worse. Could have been a note from Ms. Teeny...or worse, Angelique.  The girls got their breakfast (porridge, yuck!) and ate quickly so they would have time to get their books and see Miss Vargo before history started. Jax insisted on going with her from now on, no matter if it were cleaning or classroom.  It was the buddy system for both from here on out.  

Jax stayed in the hall while Raven went to see Miss Vargo.  Entering the classroom Miss Vargo gave Raven a warm smile as she walked to her desk.

"Raven, so glad you got my note!  You must be quite curious why I asked you here"

Raven gave her a lopsided smile and a shrug of her shoulders.

"Alright then, Miss Raven, you did very well on your placement test.". Raven beamed and thought " yes!". She continued "so well in fact, I'm going to place you with my older class" Raven was torn.  On one hand what about Jax?  What about their buddy system?  But on the other hand, how exciting that someone thought she was smart enough to be bumped to an older class!

" Just so we're clear, just because you're a little younger doesn't mean I'll be easier on you, I will expect you to do the same work as the others.  I split my time between the younger and older class but I have a teaching assistant who helps me.  Anyway, you'll start in your new class tomorrow "

Raven thanked Miss Vargo and quickly left, just in case she changed her mind.   Finding Jax, they walked briskly to their history class while Raven explained what happened.  Raven was pleasantly surprised when Jax seemed genuinely happy for her.  They still had the other two classes together plus meals and if they cleaned together then what was an hour or so apart?  By the time they reached Mr. Thomas' class Raven was walking on cloud nine.

The afternoon went swiftly and before they knew it, Raven and Jax were donning their smocks and grabbing their buckets.  Checking the list they were thrilled to find they had been paired together and were to clean Ms. Teeny's parlor.  It was where she received all of her guests.  The girls grabbed their buckets and brushes and scampered in a flurry of excitement down the stairs to the front parlor room.

The girls scrubbed and cleaned everything in sight.  The Tiffany lamps brass bottom shined and the dark mahogany wood floor gleamed in the afternoon sun.  They were tired but happy.  The room looked great.  Working on their finishing touches by polishing the bookends on the giant bookcase, the girls were stunned when the cabinet slid open.   One of them must have accidentally pushed a button or something while polishing.  They looked at each other with wide eyes and mouths agape.  What could be in there?  They both knew it was a very bad idea, but neither one could resist their curiosity.  Poking their heads through the opening, the were greeted by a most horrific scene.

Behind the shelves lay a small room filled with shelves of porcelain dolls.  The dolls would have been creepy enough on their own, but to make matters worse each doll had their eyes blacked out.  Raven and Jax took one look at each other and tore from the room.  Frantically they began polishing the bookends again trying everything to find the switch that would once again close the bookcase.  Finally hearing a "click" the door slid back, closing the gap.  The two practically collapsed against each other in relief.  Not wanting to spend another moment anywhere near that room, they both silently agreed the room was clean enough and it was time to go.  Grabbing their buckets and brushes they hustled from the room....right into Ms. Teeny.  Taking a step back, they both found themselves taking a large gulp.

"Well, well what do we have here?" Croaked frizzy haired fiend.
Raven and Jax couldn't move or breathe. 

They stood together with locked knees, gripping each others hand.  Ms. Teeny walked around the room slowly, dragging her finger on a shelf, then on a table checking for dust.

"Well....it's not great, but I guess it will do.  Off with you now..."

Jax and Raven practically tripped over each other trying to get out.  After getting their bearings they both flew up the stairs and into their room.  Once in the safety of their belongings, they sank on Jax' bed and just sat for a moment.  After a moment of calm, finally looking at each other they both burst into a fit of laughter.  Had they seen what they really seen?  It was just all too weird to even think about.

Later that evening, after dinner, homework and baths,  Raven and Jax found themselves in front of their window.  They would breathe softly on the glass, fogging it up so they could continue to play tic tac toe.   After Jax winning twice in a row, suddenly both girls fell silent as they once again saw a familiar silhouette slink into the dark forest.


Raven awoke the next morning and began her usual routine with dressing, making her bed, suffering through inspection, then off to breakfast.  She was a little more excited today though, because she was going to her new class!  Happily Raven's class was just across the hall from her old class that Jax was still in, so they were able to walk together.  With excited anxiousness, Raven stepped foot in her new class, and her heart fell.

"You're in the wrong class, worm" snipped Angelique.
Raven didn't know what to do.  She wanted to run for all she was worth, but her feet were glued to their spot.  Miss Vargo breezed in, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.
"Good morning class, I'd like to introduce you to our newest student.  Her name is Raven and she is an exceptionally gifted with the English language and the written word.  Please make her welcome!  Raven you may take a seat there" said Miss Vargo handing her a new English book and pointing at a seat towards the back.
Raven made her way hesitantly towards her seat hearing the word "worm" whispered following a gaggle of giggles.
This was a huge mistake she thought.  After class I'll just tell Miss Vargo I'm not ready for this and I'll just go back across the hall.   She had all but made up her mind when the prickling sensation of someone staring at her demanded her attention.  Sliding her eyes left, they were met with her ever so mysterious blue eyes.  Nikolas smiled warmly at her and she began to feel more at ease.  
Then she began to get angry.  Why should I leave? She thought.  I'm here because I'm smart....why is she here?  Obviously not because she's a rocket scientist, she's two years older than me and in my class.  No, I'm not leaving.  Maybe it was because Raven had finally had enough, or maybe it was because she could feel those blue eyes giving her courage.  Whatever it was, she had earned this and was staying put.  
Worm or no worm.

 

©jaholland 2015



© 2015 jaholland


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on July 14, 2015
Last Updated on August 14, 2015


Author

jaholland
jaholland

Cleveland, OH



About
I have pages and pages of things I used to write...loved it more than anything. Then life happened and I went away from it. I've recently started again and have been having fun with it. I don't kno.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by jaholland


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by jaholland