Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by jaholland

In the next few weeks Raven settled in a comfortable routine.  The usual breakfast, school, chores then homework.  Raven and Jax would watch from time to time the shadow that visited the forest every evening but even that became routine.  Raven began thinking maybe it was a group of teenagers and they were just hanging out there or something. Whatever it was, it wasn't any of her business and she had enough trouble her first week at the orphanage to last her the next six months. 

 

It was now October and it was her favorite month for many reasons, but today it was because the orphanage was taking everyone to a local pumpkin patch to pick out their own pumpkin to carve for the Halloween dance.  The trip just so happened to fall on her birthday, October 13th which made it all the more exciting.  She hadn't been outside the mansion's walls in what seemed like forever, so she figured it could be like a birthday present to herself.  She knew it would be a difficult day, it would be the first birthday without Grams.  Even though they would be what a lot of people considered "poor" Grams always made her birthday special and made her feel like she was the most important person on the planet.

 

Jax looked like she was going to bubble over with excitement and Raven's anticipation matched hers as well.  They had to be careful though, any hint of happiness or joy and Ms. Teeny or Angelique would quickly squash it.  The girls shuffled along with the other children with eyes downcast and no smiles which proved to be a lot more difficult than they thought it would be.  By the time they were seated on the bus, they thought for sure they would explode holding in all their excitement, but as the old bus groaned and lurched and crawled away from their own personal prison, they were safe, and were really on their way to having a wonderful day!

 

The sun shown brightly while a brisk wind rattled the beautifully bright colored leaves in the large maple trees that lined the walkway.  Raven and Jax walked arm and arm with rosey red cheeks and wind tousled hair blissfully happy.  Ms Teeny hadn't made the trip and Angelique seemed in her own little world with her friends, so all seemed right with the world for once.

 

Raven and Jax walked among rows and rows of pumpkins, searching for the perfect one.  Raven lit up like a Christmas tree when she found hers. Such a cute little pumpkin! She thought. It was the perfect size, not too big and not too small.  About the size of a bowling ball.  It was a bright orange with a nice dark green stem.  She didn't think there was a more perfect pumpkin in the entire patch.  Raven heard a squeal from her bestie and turned to see Jax carrying a pumpkin bigger than she was.  All she could see of her was her happy aqua eyes peering over the top.

 

"Oh my goodness Jax, that pumpkin is bigger than you are!" Raven laughed.

 

"yeah it's big, but it called to me and I just had to take it home!" said Jax grinning ear to ear.  

 

The girls took their treasured pumpkins back to the cart and tagged their names on their harvested jack-o-lanterns.  They couldn't wait to get back and start carving! Afterwards everyone was invited to the large red barn in the back for hot apple cider and other delicious treats provided by the farm.  The girls were literally kids in a candy store.  After eyeing rows of puffed pastries, cookies, candy apples and sweet little cakes they chose their favorites and took a seat on a bale of hay and began munching their treats, sipping the warm delicious cider.  Raven sighed happily.  This so far has been an awesome birthday. She guess it might even rank up there with her favorite one with Grams.  She thought about telling Jax it was her birthday, but if she knew Jax, she would want to get her something and would be upset if she wasn't able to...no, she didn't want anything. She just wanted to have a good day and it was happening.  It was everything she wanted.  

 

A soft "mew" interrupted her thoughts.  Raven and Jax looked at each other and immediately scarfed down the rest of their treat and drink, threw away their garbage and went to investigate the tiny sound.  Raven and jax waited and listened, hoping they would hear it again.

 

"mew" they heard softly.

 

"Sounds like it coming from back there" Jax said pointing to the maze of haystacks that sat in the back of the barn.

 

"I do love a mystery" grinned Raven, as the two began their search.  

 

Raven and Jax walked through the twist and turns of the giant hay maze, stopping every once in awhile to wait for the tiny "mew" noise.  The deeper they went, the louder the kitty sound became.  Finally after turning the last corner, there sat a tiny ball of grey fluff, peering up at them with two big gold eyes.  The tabby kitten let out another loud "mew!" and the girls giggled.  Raven picked up the tiny creature and began to stroke her soft fur behind her ears.  She could feel the tiny thing begin to vibrate under her fingers with purrs of joy.  Raven's heart melted.  Holding it close to her face the small kitten began to rub it's head under her chin and purr louder.  The trance was broken by a soft laugh from Jax.

 

"You two look like long lost soulmates" Jax teased.

 

"Oh, I would give anything if I could take you home with me little one" Raven whispered to the baby kitten.

 

"well isn't that sweet.  What do you have there worm?" 

 

Raven could feel the hackles on the kitty raise and in a panic the kitten left a tiny scratch on Raven's wrist darting away from the invading trouble.

 

"Nothing" Raven said softly and turned to leave.  Angelique grabbed her shoulder.

 

"Whoa, wait a minute there worm, where do you think you're going?  We have some unfinished business."

 

Raven looked to Jax to try and will her to run for help, but Jax was already being detained by Angelique's henchman, the ugly step sisters.   Angelique's pretty face twisted menacingly.

 

"So....I've been doing some research and apparently, worms love compost.  Being on a farm, I began to wonder if they would have any of this compost and as luck would have it, they do, horse manure compost to be exact." Angelique said with a maniacal laugh while producing a garbage pail size sack of something. 


 Raven could feel the panic rise in her chest as her eyes frantically darted around the room looking for something, anything to defend herself.  Raven could hear Jax struggle against the other two laughing girls.  She knew if Jax could, she would help her.  

 

Raven began walking backwards looking for any possible escape, while Angelique creeped closer, cornering her between two hay stacks.  Laughing hysterically Angelique sat the burlap sack in front of her and opened the top.  The aroma of stinky horse droppings filled the tiny space.  Raven couldn't help but make a face, the smell was putrid!  Raven saw even Angelique was having a hard time trying to stifle a gag.  

 

"I'm now going to baptize you, worm.  You will smell and look like you're supposed to."  Angelique said while raising the sack high over her head.

 

Raven closed her eyes, she knew she was doomed.  She saw her future and knew now and forevermore she would be known as "Stinkybritches" or "smellygirl"  she wasn't sure if they would even let her ride the bus home. 

 

"Angelique?" said a soft male voice.

 

Raven's eyes flew opened and turned, Nikolas!  The next events that happened, Raven would never forget.  Not even if she lived to be one hundred. Everything seemed to happen lightening fast and in slow motion all at the same time.  Raven turned towards a scream while watching a flash of grey fur land on Angelique's face.  Startled by the kitten, Angelique lost control of the sack which inadvertently ended up pouring on top of her pretty blonde head.  

 

"YOU!!  YOU DID THIS!!!!" Angelique screamed.

 

Raven was baffled. She hadn't moved, how could she possibly be responsible? A soft chuckle came from behind her.

 

"Angelique, I saw just like everyone else how your plan just backfired.  You have nobody to blame but yourself."  Nikolas then put his hand on Raven's shoulder guiding her to where Jax was standing.  "Girls, the buses will be leaving soon, better start heading back.  Angelique I think I saw a hose on the side of the barn if you want to try and wash some of that stink off"

 

Raven couldn't help it.  She laughed, and laughed loudly.  If looks could kill, she would have been dead one thousand times from Angelique.  She knew she was going to pay for that laugh, one way or the other but whether it was the stress from what just happened, or the giddiness being that close to Nikolas that caused her outburst. 

 

Nikolas, Raven and Jax walked quietly through the maze with Raven all the while trying to think of something clever to say or interesting to talk about but everything she thought of sounded childish and unimportant.  Her opportunity to say anything slipped quickly by her as they reached the main floor of the barn again.  All she could muster was a quiet "thanks".

 

Nikolas grinned and said "No thanks necessary Ma'am.  You owe that cat a life though, I think she lost one when she landed on Angelique's face."

 

Jax loudly guffawed and slapped her knee, but all Raven could do was blush deeply. Nikolas gave her wink and a charming smile and then was off, striding away to rejoin his circle of friends.  

 

"He's so dreeeeeeamy" exclaimed Jax.  "You know not only that, he's pretty funny and you don't see that every day.  I had no idea he could be a funny man..."

 

Raven walked with Jax, listening to her yammer on but not really paying attention. She was too enthralled with his wink and smile and could hardly concentrate on anything else. Just then a frown creased Raven's brow as she began mentally scolding herself.  Are you crazy or just have a death wish? You think Angelique is bad now?  I'd hate to see what she would do if she knew you were crushing on her guy.  Not only that, since when are you boy crazy?  You turn 13 and all of a sudden he's all you can think about.  No, you can't think about this stuff.  Jax had moved off the topic of Nikolas and was now telling Raven her plans for carving her pumpkin, for which Raven was grateful.  Raven tucked the memory of Nikolas in the back of her mind, to save for when she needed a happy memory to get through the day.

 

Once back at the orphanage, the festivities continued, when everyone began carving their pumpkins.  Raven was absolutely shocked they were doing this, let alone having a Halloween dance!  I wonder what got into Ms Teeny?  Raven looked at her freshly carved pumpkin and smiled.  He was quite charming.  She had chosen to do the traditional pumpkin face with triangles for eyes and nose with a happy jagged smile.

 

"Hey Raven look!"  squealed an excited Jax

 

Raven turned and let out a long happy giggle. "Oh Jax, you're too much!"

 

Jax had decided to go the non traditional route and had made a cat face out of her pumpkin, and the likeness to the sweet little grey kitty was amazing.

 

"I figured a tribute to our little fluffy hero was in order.  Without her we would be a stinky mess!"

 

"We?" Raven questioned

 

"Well, yeah...I'm not about to let you stink without me!"

 

The girls collapsed in a fit of giggles and had to try and contain themselves when the room monitor strolled by.  

 

"Hey jax"

 

"hmmm?" Jax said putting her last perfecting touches on her pumpkin kitty.

 

"Have you guys ever had a Halloween party here before?"

 

Jax thought and shook her head

 

"No, but this is only my second year here.  I heard some girls talking the other day and they said that the only reason we're having a party is because some bigwig from the head office is coming to check the place and how everything and everyone is getting along"

 

Raven nodded her head.  That made sense.  Ms. Teeny would never do anything to make anyone happy on purpose.  So it seems all these pumpkins were nothing but a prop for her happy orphanage...yeah right.  Oh well, at least they were getting a party.  Bells interrupted Raven's thoughts letting them know it was time to clean up and head for their rooms.  Raven and Jax shuffled to their room, sad to see the wonderful day end. 

 

Jax let out a loud yawn and flopped on her bed.  Raven giggled and began to climb the ladder to her bed stopping mid step.  On her bunk was a large white box with a red bow.  How in the....who in the?  Raven looked at her friend.  How could she have known?

 

"Jax!  How did you find out?!?!"

 

"Find out what?"

 

"My birthday, you silly goose, you got me a present?  How did you get it here without me knowing?  I've been with you all day!"

 

Jax looked utterly confused.  

 

"Raven, I didn't get you anything, I mean I would have if I would have known, but I didn't know so I didn't."  Jax climb the ladder standing next to Raven.

 

"That's not from me..."

 

Raven was stunned.  Who then?  Certainly not Ms Teeny.  Could it be a trick from Angelique?  The box moved a little and both girls jumped 10 feet in the air and off the ladder.  Oh no!  What could Angelique put in there?!  The box moved again.

 

"Mew"

 

Raven and Jax looked at each other and said simultaneously

 

"NO WAY!!!"

 

Raven scampered back up the ladder sitting in front of her package.  Carefully lifting the lid, peeking inside her nose was greeted with a small rough tongue.

 

"Mew!" the grey kitten announced.

 

Raven and Jax just stared at each other.  How was this possible?  Raven took the tiny grey fluff out of the box and held her close.  She could feel the kitten begin to purr again.  Jax looked in the box for any clue and to their surprise sat a sack of kitten food and litter on the bed.  They stared at each other again.  This had to be a trick.

 

"What are we going to do Raven?"

 

"I don't know.  I love this little thing to the moon and back, but if Ms. Teeny...if she found out, I would be sleeping in the boiler room in the basement, for sure.  Who do you think put her here?  Angelique?"

 

Jax cocked her head sideways and thought "No...I don't think so.  I mean that kitten hated her, I can't see her letting Angelique get ten feet near her."

 

Raven thought of Nikolas, but that wasn't possible either.  They had walked out with him and the kitten was long gone by then....completely unexplainable.  Even so, what now?  If she did try to keep her, Ms Teeny, or worse Angelique would definitely find out.  The kitten had already proved she could be quite vocal.

 

"I have an idea" grinned Jax.

 

Raven raised her eyebrows.  She had absolutely none so whatever Jax was thinking was fine by here.

 

"A few months ago, I was cleaning the 5th floor hallway and I found this small button in the floor.  Me being me, I pushed it and this door clicked open. I of course had to go in and look and it was some stairs that led up to this like attic place.  It was pretty creepy but it would be a great place to hide the kitten.  We could put her there during the day and then bring her back down after dinner to play and sleep with us."

 

Raven rolled the idea around in her mind.  Her first thought was just to take the kitten outside and let her go, but thinking of the soon to be cold weather and snow had kind of forced that idea from her thoughts.   Raven looked over at the sweet fuzzy face that had already fallen asleep on her pillow.

 

"Ok, well let's go check it out.  If we can still get up there then that will be a good plan.  At least until she's older and it gets warm outside again."

 

Jaxed hopped up and clapped gleefully.  Raven put her fingers to her lips to hush her bestie and quietly opened their door.  The two made their way ever so quietly up the stairs to the fifth floor.  Once there, Jax pointed to the area where she thought the button was last located.  Crawling around, trying not to make a sound both girls felt around for any sort of protrusion out of place.

 

"click"

 

Jax grinned at Raven as an opening appeared where a wall used to be.  Jax and Raven quietly went inside, noticing another button located on the wall next to the new door.  Jax being Jax pushed the button and the door quietly swished closed.  Jax and Raven shared a grin then began slowly creeping up the stairs. Once at the top the girls stood and looked around.  Trunks, old furniture and clothes were mostly what they found. Jax plopped down on an old dusty couch.

 

"I think this will work!" 

 

Raven smiled at her friend.  What would she ever do without her!

 

"I think so too, and if she makes any noise, then they'll probably just think it's squirrels or raccoons or.."

 

"ghosts" Jax chimed in while both girls had a laugh.

 

"Let's look around and see if we can find anything that will work for a food and water bowl and a litter pan." said Raven, taking a peek inside an old wooden trunk.

 

The girls rummaged through trunks and boxes and were able to finally find a nice size bowl for food and another for water.  Jax also found a pitcher which they figured would make carrying water up and down the stairs a lot easier.  Jax let out a small cry of triumph, holding a small plastic tub above her head just as Raven was opening a large wooden trunk that had been pushed way back in the attic.  Raven sat back on her heels a little stunned.

 

"Whoa"

 

"I found a tub we can use for a litter pan Raven, whoa, what's that?"

 

"Dolls, and lots of them." Raven said under her breath.

 

There had to be hundreds of them.  These didn't have their eyes blacked out like the other dolls, but still there was something off about them that Raven couldn't quite put her finger on.  There was just something so familiar about them.  The lid slammed shut.

 

"That's way too creepy Raven.  I can't look at those anymore!" Cried Jax.

 

Raven looked up into the face of her shaken friend and agreed.

 

"You're right, besides we found what we needed.  We better get back to make sure the kitty hasn't made any other trouble for us."  

 

The girls started scampering down the stairs as Raven gave the trunk one last quizzical look.  It was definitely creepy but there was just something else that bothered her about it that she couldn't figure out.  Shrugging it off, Raven joined her friend as they slipped silently from the hidden staircase, triggering the button to reclose the door.  

 

Finally back in their room, the kitten was right where she left her, snuggled sleeping on Raven's pillow.  Raven crawling in bed next to her felt the kitten get up and walk nestling herself under Raven's chin.  Raven sighed happily and scratched the baby behind the ears drifting off into dreamland but not before thinking, this had been one awesome birthday.


©jaholland 2015








 


© 2015 jaholland


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on July 20, 2015
Last Updated on August 14, 2015


Author

jaholland
jaholland

Cleveland, OH



About
I have pages and pages of things I used to write...loved it more than anything. Then life happened and I went away from it. I've recently started again and have been having fun with it. I don't kno.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by jaholland


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by jaholland