Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by jaholland

The next morning Raven and Jax were up with the chickens.  Bright eyed and bushy tailed they bundled up all of the kittens necessities and the kitten herself and headed for the hidden attic.  Jax and Raven sat on the old dusty couch watching the kitten hop from trunk to box, seemingly very happy with her surroundings.  Filling up her bowls with food and water and then her litter pan, Jax asked the all important question.
"What are you going to name her?"
Raven had been thinking about this late into the night.  All the usual names for grey kitties crossed her mind, like Smokie, Ashes, Misty...but nothing seem to fit.  Then she remembered a story they were covering in her English literature class about a poetess named Liadan and how her name meant "Grey Lady" in Irish Gaelic. Raven tried it out.
"Here Liadan..." she called softly.
The Grey kitty peered at her and tilted her head listening to the name and came at once, like it was meant for her.  Raven smiled utterly happy.  That was it!
"Liadan it is!  Maybe Lia for short?"  The kitten purred and rubbed her head on the back of Raven's hand.  She seemed to be very happy with it.  Jax smiled at the sweet kitten.
"I think she likes it a lot, and I love it.  So sweet and perfect, just like her" 
The kitten then began showing her approval for Jax, headbutting her hand and rubbing her sides on her leg.  Jax giggled at the kitten's affection.
"We better get back Jax.  Last thing we need is to get caught up here with a kitten"
Jax agreed and the girls began to gather themselves, double checking the food and water bowls and making sure the kitten had a place to sleep.  Creeping quietly back down the stairs, Raven turned to see her tiny kitten romp through the attic, chasing a little dust bunny.  She grinned at the playfulness of her sweet, precious kitten and felt her heart swell with happiness.  This was going to work.  It HAD to!
The girls slipped quietly back into their room just in time to hear the other girls on their floor start to rise with with day.  Raven and Jax quickly dressed, made their beds and made sure nothing was out of place.  They knew they had to be careful.  The Halloween dance was in two weeks and Ms Teeny would look for anything just to keep someone out of the festivites.  Not to mention they were certain Angelique would be on the war path after what had happened in the barn.  Raven was starting to get another case of bellyflies just thinking of Angelique.  She wasn't sure if she would try to blame her to Ms Teeny for what had happened.  If she does, she'll just tell her to talk to Nikolas, she was certain he would back her up...but then again Ms Teeny never wanted to hear her side of the story, Angelique could do no wrong as far as she was concerned.  Raven could feel the little wings flutter in her belly while taking her post outside her room listening for the footsteps on the stairs.
Like clockwork the "click"  "click"  "click" of the pointy shoes on the hardwood floors sounded below them coming up the steps. Ms Teeny paused at the top of the steps and began her usual inspection.  Just one thing was out of the ordinary, and it was a biggie....no Angelique.  Both Raven and Jax were shocked and slid sideways glances at each other with rounded eyes.  It had to be serious for Angelique not to be there, she never misses inspection!  She took just as much joy out of berating everyone as did Ms Teeny.  When it was their turn, Raven made the mistake of looking up into Ms. Teeny's eyes.  She swore she saw fire behind the blackness. Raven quickly dropped her eyes back to the floor, she had seen enough.  The enraged eyes, the pursed lips, she blamed Raven for whatever she was mad at, that much was clear.  Ms. Teeny didn't say a word.  Usually Raven would have been happy not to hear anything from her, but this....it gave her a very bad feeling in the pit of her stomach.  All she could think of was her poor defenseless kitten, and then without any reason, the dolls with the blacked out eyes popped in her head.
Raven breathed a slow sigh of relief after Ms Teeny passed her and then began her march to the next floor.  She and Jax shared another look but didn't dare speak. There would be plenty of time to talk about what just happened, but now was not the time.  They had to toe the line, just like everyone else.  They both knew Ms. Teeny was looking for any reason to punish them and if they did anything she would come down on them like there was no tomorrow.  Just then, a thought gripped Raven and would not let go.  What if Ms. Teeny was mad because they found the kitten? What if the reason Angelique wasn't there was because she was doing something horrible to Liadan?  She felt like she was going to be sick.  How could they?  If she does anything to my kitty, she will pay dearly!  She then thought of all the kitten's things being out in the open.  How could they have been so stupid!?  What if Angelique had seen them go up there and then she went to see and found everything including Liadan?  She could feel tears threaten to fill her eyes.  She needed to talk herself down quickly or she would really lose it.   
Raven stared at her breakfast unable to eat.  She decided she would much rather have Ms. Teeny and Angelique scream at her then not know what they're up to.  She wanted so badly to tell Jax her concerns but she felt guilty about that too.  What if she was just panicking for no reason?  Was it fair to make Jax feel like this too?  Raven was trying to think if there was any possible way she could make it to the 5th floor without being noticed.  She could fake being sick in history...no, that wouldn't work.  They have a test today and Mr. Thomas would have to call the nurse and Ms. Teeny.  Maybe she and Jax could risk it and go check on her before chores...yes, that would work.  They would just have to be extra careful.  The bells interrupted Raven's thoughts as the girls began making their way to history class.  Jax giving her friend a quizzical look recieved a friendly smile and reassurance from Raven that all was well and mouthed an  "I'll tell you later" to her.  Jax smiled back and nodded.  Raven was so glad to have her.
History class crawled by.  The test was easy, at least to Raven since she finished early.  Now all she had was "busy work"  Raven groaned inwardly.  Now would be a perfect time to check.  Maybe she could say she needed to use the restroom?  No, Jax would be really upset if she went alone and knowing how Angelique really had it out for her now, going anywhere alone would not be a smart move.  Finally with the bells sounding, they were off to English class.  Raven could feel the fluttering in her belly start again but maybe Angelique wouldn't be there either.  Parting with a "be brave" smile from Jax, Raven entered the classroom and stared in shock.  Angelique was in fact there, but was no longer the beautifully tan, shiny blonde everyone was used to.  In fact that girl was no where to be found.  In her place was instead a blondish girl with her hair pulled back tight in a ponytail and skin covered in red blotches.  Raven could see some kind of oinment had been applied to the blotches, making her skin bright and shiny underneath the fluorescent lights.  Raven made her second mistake of the day by not looking away when she walked by.  With eyes locking, Raven could see a fierce hatred behind Angelique's brown ones that was strong enough to make her heart jump.
Raven slid quietly into her seat and thought for a moment, suddenly feeling a heavy pressure leave her shoulders, it was very unlikely that Angelique had found the kitten in the attic.  Angelique looked every bit as miserable as Raven felt.  If she had found them out she would be doing a dance of glee, blotches or not.  Raven knew that for a fact.  She would still have to remedy the situation about all the kitten's stuff being out in the open, but she no longer feared they knew and that was one relief she really needed.
Raven's thoughts were brought back to the classroom once Miss Vargo entered and told them which page to flip to in their books.  Raven slid another glance in Angelique's direction.  She just sat there with her arms across her chest, like daring anyone to say a word to her.  Miss Vargo took her up on that dare.
"I said everyone is to open their books to page 316, that includes people that have had an allergic reaction to horse dung."  
Angelique's blotches turned even more red as giggles escaped from a few but Raven didn't dare giggle.  On one hand she kind of felt bad about it, but then again Angelique had done it to herself.  She was even more glad that Nikolas and Liadan had saved her from that smelly fate, especially if it came with super red blotches. Thinking of the name Nikolas, Raven awkawardly tried to look around the room to see where he was...but he wasn't there.  Weird how she hadn't thought about him since the kitten but now that she knew he wasn't there, she was all sad again.  I really need to get a hold of myself, Raven thought while opening her book to page 316.
The rest of the day went fairly quickly and soon Raven found herself back in her room with Jax, donning their work clothes.  Raven quickly told Jax her concerns about leaving the kitten's things out in the open and her worries about Ms. Teeny and Angelique.  Jax agreed whole heartedly and thought visiting Liadan was a good idea. Checking the cleaning list, Jax was to clean the 4th floor hallway and Raven the 4th floor bathroom.  It was doable, they would only need to sneak up one extra floor. 
Deciding to clean first just in case someone came to check on them, they cleaned with lightening in their brushes. The girls worked feverishly to make their rooms squeaky clean.  They both were quite proud to finish in record time, plus they had done a good job!  The faucets in the bathroom gleamed and Jax's floor she scrubbed shined like a new penny.  Hiding their buckets and brushes in a hall closet, Raven and Jax creeped to the 5th floor, careful to not draw any attention to themselves.  Once inside the hushed silence of the hidden door, Raven and Jax tore up the stairs to see their new friend. 
Liadan sat in the stream of sunshine coming through the attic window, turning her fluffy grey fur almost white, letting out a tiny "mew" of greeting when she spotted her new found companions.  Both the girls giggled and happily walked over to pet and coo over the tiny being.
"She's so soft and pretty" crooned Jax
Raven smiled and scratched Lia under the chin.
"I know, she has to be the most loveliest kittens there ever were"
The kitten rubbed her sides and flopped down on the floor, revealing her belly, showing her complete trust in them.  The girls giggled and loved on the small kitty some more hating that they needed to stop.  Realizing they were getting short on time, the girls drug themselves away from the kitten and picked up and moved all of Lia's items, hiding them behind a large box.  Easy enough for the kitten to get to but hidden from anyone that would come poking around.  Satisfied with their plans they sadly said a goodbye to the sweet face with Liadan letting a "Mew" of displeasure. 
"I promise Lia, I will come for you later.  We might be missed and get in trouble."  
The kitten looked at Raven and as if she understood, walked over to her little makeshift bed and curled up resigning to the fact she would not be going with them. With heavy hearts Jax and Raven descended down the steps, making plans to visit again later tonight.  Jax, placing her finger on the button that would open the door was suddenly stopped by Raven's hand.  Jax in surprise started to question Raven but found her mouth covered and a frantic Raven urging her to be quiet.  Doing as she was told, she watched as Raven put her ear to the door then did so herself.
"I'm telling you Angelique, you have really become a disappointment to me."
"But...but I..."
"NO EXCUSES!  You KNOW what needs to be done!  I can't understand for the life of me how you can have so much trouble from someone who is younger and smaller!"
"Ms. Teeny, there's more to it than..."
"ENOUGH! I told you, either you take care of her, or I will take care of YOU!  Someone has put a protection spell on her and I need to know who, and I need it GONE!  I need her soul blinded.  We cannot risk leaving her open and finding out!"
"Yes Ms Teeny"
"Very well, the Halloween party will be busy and filled with people, that should help hide what we need to do.  Get her alone and then taken care of.  If you fail AGAIN, then I will no longer have a need for you and I will take care of BOTH of you. Understood?"
A very docile and nervous Angelique answered with a "Yes Ms. Teeny" followed by clicking footsteps away from where the girls were hidden.  Raven and Jax sat on the steps and stared at each other.  They had so many questions and had no idea where to begin!  Protection spell?  Blinded souls? Who were they talking about?  Raven? Someone else?  Raven knew Angelique took great pleasure in causing her pain and discomfort but she thought it was just for Angelique's entertainment.  Raven could feel a large knot grow in her stomach.  What could they do?  Who could they tell that would actually believe them?  Jax slowly walked back to the hidden door, placing her ear on the wooden surface to listen for any other sounds or movement.  Satisfied there was no one, she clicked the button and a "whooosh" sounded as the door opened.  
"We better get back or they'll come looking.  Raven I promise we'll get to the bottom of this and I swear on my life nobody will hurt you or your soul"
Raven stared at her best friend.  She knew she meant every word of it and would put her own life on the line just to protect her.  It made her feel so loved, she almost wanted to cry.  With a smile and a hug, Raven gave the same reassurance to her friend, even though it was quite difficult to believe a word of it.
Raven and Jax scampered back to the fourth floor to reclaim their brushes and buckets, being careful to make sure everything was as they left it, clean. The two hurriedly turned back in their cleaning supplies and then dressed for dinner making sure not to be late so not to raise any suspicion.  The girls kept looking at each other, wanting to talk, but not wanting to.  They both knew once they discussed it, it would become all too real.  Dinner went quietly then back in their room, they both dutifully did their homework.  Afterwards, sitting on Jax's bed Raven sighed.
"We can't let this get to us.  So far Angelique hasn't been able to harm me so that protection spell must be working....and who knows, maybe it wasn't me at all they were talking about!"
"You're right!"  chimed in Jax "You know, Miss Vargo and Ms. Teeny don't get along at all, I've heard them argue several times.  You also said she got smart with Devilique so maybe they're planning on something for her?!"
"True, true...but they did say someone younger and smaller than her, and well...that wouldn't be Miss Vargo..."
Jax sighed racking her brain for any other option.
"Well, we're not going to figure out anything tonight, so why don't we do something that will make us both feel a lot better.  Let's go get Lia!"
Raven lit up at Jax' suggestion and then a thought hit her like a ton of bricks.  She needed to get up to that attic, and in a hurry.  The girls flew back to the 5th floor, quiet as two prairie mice.  Once back in the hidden oasis, Raven made a bee line for the old wooden trunk she had opened earlier.  Hearing a whine from Jax, she turned to her friend.
"I know Jax, I know you hate these dolls and honestly you don't have to look at them, but I need to, I think I just made a connection with something and I need to know if I'm going crazy or not."
Jax thought a moment and then shook her head up and down, staring defiantly that the trunk.
"I'm tired of being afraid, they're just old stupid dolls.  I'm not afraid, open it."
Just then Lia appeared and hopped on the lid mewing at Raven.  Raven smiled at her sweet new friend and gave her a scratch behind the ear.
"Hello beautiful Lia, I will be happy to give you all the attention you need, but first I need to check something."
Picking up the feather light bundle of kitten and placing her on the floor, Raven snapped the lock open and lifted the lid.  Lia hissed and spit and arched her back growling at the trunk while Raven and Jax stared at her in shock.  Jax had been right, whatever the reason these dolls were in here, was not a good one.  Continuing Raven lifted the heavy lid completely and then sat and stared at the dolls.  Picking one up she looked at it and then at Jax.
"Jax, does this one remind you of anyone?"
Jax slightly shuddered then looked at the doll closely.
"No...wait...is that...is that Lilly?"
Raven looked at her friend with huge eyes.
"That's who I thought too.  How about this one?"
Jax looked closely.
"that looks like Maddie"
"Hey this one looks like Michael"
Raven shook her head up and down while the realization hit her that every doll in that trunk resembled a boy or a girl in the orphanage.  Closing the lid, Raven sat back on her legs, deep in thought.
"Jax, I know you're not going to want to do this, but I need to get back into that hidden room in the front parlor."
Jax groaned.  
"Tonight?"
Raven thought a moment.
"No, I think we've had enough for one day.  We're going to have to time this one right. With any luck we'll be picked to clean that room.  If not then we'll have to make sure Ms. Teeny is out of the orphanage before we try.  It would be a very bad thing if she caught us.  I really don't want to, but I need to see those dolls with the blacked out eyes again.  I need to see if...."  
Raven trailed off watching Jax turn a few shades of green then white.  Taking her own advice that enough was enough, she wrapped her arm around her friend and scooped up her kitty.
"C'mon, lets get back to our room and play with Lia.  I bet she's been lonely all day and can't wait to chase a string."
Jax grinned and agreed.  Creeping quietly back to the safety of their room, Jax and Raven put their current situation in the back of their mind and played with their precious kitten.  Lights out soon came and Raven found herself once again staring out the moonlit window stroking Lia's soft fur, feeling the soft purr under her fingers.  If not for the flash of memory of the blacked out eyes of those creepy dolls, Raven would be quite content.
©jaholland 2015


© 2015 jaholland


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
Added on July 27, 2015
Last Updated on August 14, 2015


Author

jaholland
jaholland

Cleveland, OH



About
I have pages and pages of things I used to write...loved it more than anything. Then life happened and I went away from it. I've recently started again and have been having fun with it. I don't kno.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by jaholland


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by jaholland