Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by Vanshika Bhatia

KAYDEN ROSS (IN 3RD PERSON)

                “I believe I have found her, mother. It is only a matter of time before the truth becomes evident.”

                “Do not act until you are certain. I know we felt the emergence of the princess around that area, however, until her abilities are proven, we cannot be sure it is she. It was a mistake to leave her alone on that planet. We should have kept her, then those damn Vulcans would not have found her, and we would not have needed to use your father’s abilities until he drained.”

                “I will continue to observe, but if our interaction during our lunch last week was any indication, I believe her intuition is proving that she is in fact the Sealtag’s precious princess.”

                “Kayden, do not act! Gather more information and report back in two weeks’ time. We will inform you of when you are to strike. You will just need to blend in until then. I trust the paperwork has gone through by now?”

                “Yes, mother. Although, it took a couple more days than you said it would, but it is done now. I am officially Kayden Ross, 3rd year cadet majoring in weapons at Starfleet Academy in San Francisco, California, transferred from the London Campus.”

                “And no one has given you reason to believe you were compromised in those days the paperwork had not been in the system?”

                “No mother. Everything is going precisely to plan.”

AILA

 

                “I can’t believe finals are this week! Time has been flying by!” Tasha said to me from the bathroom, where she was getting ready for her date with Dr. McCoy. She had successfully captured his eye, and his heart. Although he was completely enamored with her months ago. They just couldn’t act on their feelings because until last semester he was still her professor. I was, truly, really happy for her. She had been crushing on him for so long, and the fact that he returned her feelings was perfect. They truly did make a great couple, even if he was a bit older than her, but only by a few years, since she turned 26 a couple months ago.

                Tonight is going to be the big night! I can’t believe we’re finally going to do it! Wait, what???

                “That’s disgusting, Tasha! I don’t need to know that!” I yelled at her, grossed out that she and McCoy were planning on having sex. I mean, I thought they had been already, but I really didn’t need to hear about it. We always had a rule. No sex in the dorm, and no talking about sex. It was what made being roommates and studying so much easier.

                “I didn’t say anything Aila, what the heck are you talking about?” Tasha came out of the bathroom, looking stunning.

                “You just said, and I quote, ‘I can’t believe we’re finally going to do it’. Like, remember rule number three?” I responded. “By the way you look gorgeous.”

                “Aila, I didn’t say that out loud.” She replied cautiously.

                “Of course you did, it’s not like I can read minds! I’m pretty sure I would have told you if I was a telepath!” I scoffed at her.

                “Aila, I’m serious, I didn’t say that out loud. I have mad respect for our rules. They work.” She insisted, wariness still etched on her face.

                I have wanted to screw Leo into from Monday to Sunday for a very long time.

                “God, Tasha, no need to start being graphic!” I said, then realized something both exciting and horrible. She hadn’t opened her mouth.

                “Aila, I didn’t even open my mouth that time and you were looking right at me.” She whispered. “Okay, let’s try this again. I’m going to think something and you will tell me what I am thinking while looking at me and making sure I don’t open my mouth.” Her voice returned to its normal volume.

                “Okay.” I was still in shock.

                If you can hear my thoughts right now tell me I just said I think, I am in love with Leo.

                “You think you are in love with Leo.” I said, repeating what she had said….in her mind. She said it in her mind, her mouth did not open once.

                “OH MY GOD AILA!” She shouted as she jumped up and down. “You’re freaking telepathic? HOW?”

                Have you always been like this? God I hope you can’t hear me right now, you probably can. Oh s**t I need to stop thinking now don’t I?

                “I don’t know. And yes, I can hear you. No I haven’t always been like this. I don’t know what’s going on. What do I do? What if I can’t control it?” I said, terrified of what was going on with me but also pretty excited that I had this new ability.

                “Hmmm.. I don’t know. Maybe you should go talk to someone who is telepathic?” And there is only one person I know of on this campus right now who has telepathic abilities.

                “You can’t be serious, and Jesus, could you stop talking and thinking at the same time? You’re giving me a headache. Oh God, I’m not going to be able to leave the room.” I started crying then, realizing that if I had no control I wouldn’t be able to stand being around masses of people.

                Okay, I think I’m just going to talk to you in my head then because you obviously can’t control what you’re hearing right now. I think you should contact Professor Spock. He might be able to help you with whatever the hell is going on. But, honestly, Aila, you’re going to just have to deal with it. I mean, you can’t not go to classes and stuff, just because you can hear thoughts.

                “Yeah! I know! Ok! And I SO don’t want to have to ask Spock for help again! And what if he can’t help me?” Just before she could reply, verbally or mentally our doorbell rang.

                It’s probably Leo. Aila, we’ll figure this out. I promise. Oh I should probably open the door.

                “Yeah, he’s really excited by the way.” I said, slumping down into my bed.

                Tasha opened the door and allowed Leo to come inside the room. I could hear him thinking how beautiful she looked. He was thinking about their date; about the romantic dinner he had planned for her. He was definitely a gentleman. I groaned outwardly because I could hear both Tasha’s and her thoughts as well as their verbal voices. It was giving me a headache already.

                “Leo, we need to get Aila to Commander Spock right away.” Tasha said aloud, because, well Leo, oh God I was calling him Leo now, hadn’t randomly started being able to read minds.

                “Ummm…sure, but why the hell does she need to see the hobgoblin?” He asked aloud, thinking the same thing too, thankfully.

                “Well…uh…she started to randomly be able to hear my thoughts, and as he is the only telepath I know of on campus right now, well, we thought he might be able to help her.”

                “Wait just a damn minute! How the what the are you freaking kidding me right now? Is she okay?” True to Leo fashion he voiced exactly what was on his mind. I decided to stand up then.

                “Yes, I have randomly and suddenly been gifted with mind reading capabilities and have NO freaking clue how and I don’t have any control of it. And no, I don’t need an exam so stop even thinking about it. Just help me get over there and not lose my damn mind on the way please.” He looked at me with his mouth wide open at that as I started putting on my shoes. “I don’t want you guys to miss out on your date simply because for unexplained reason or reasons I can suddenly hear your thoughts. Yes, the quicker we get over to him the better.” And with that we walked out of the door.

                Leo, as I was now calling him even in my head, called Spock on the way over, who said to meet him at his quarters. He didn’t really divulge any pertinent information, just said it was an emergency, and not to argue. Thankfully, Leo’s normally grumpy disposition with Spock was just what we needed. Spock had agreed rather quickly, if for anything, just to shut Leo up.

                The walk over to Spock’s quarters was horrible. I could hear so many people’s thoughts my head felt like it was going to explode. More than once Tasha had to pretty much help me walk under the weight of so many cadet’s thoughts. There was one moment, however, where I was almost happy I could hear the thoughts of the cadets as we passed.

                “Hey perv, stop picturing my best friend and I naked! And in THAT position. You are f*****g disgusting!” Before he could reply Tasha and Leo both pulled me away and started walking even faster. I could hear that particular cadet think how the hell did she know in his head before we got what I had noticed was ‘range’ for me.

                When we finally made it outside of Spock’s quarters the only thoughts I could hear were that of Tasha and Leo. It was a welcome almost silence compared to the many cadets we passed on the way getting here. My head was in searing pain, though, I almost didn’t hear them verbally communicate with Spock through the intercom system outside his door due to it.

                The door opened and I immediately could hear Spock in my head, just as if he were talking aloud.

                She does not appear well. I cannot fathom why the good doctor has brought her to my quarters instead of to the Sick Bay.

                “Hey, commander, it’s because Leo here can’t do anything about my particular problem at the moment.” I said, before anybody else had a chance to speak.

                I have not spoken. You can hear my thoughts?

                “Yep. Crystal clear.” I said as we started to walk inside, because at the same time as he was mentally questioned be he had asked us to come inside. I was just trying to focus on one person’s thoughts at a time. I went to sit on the couch without asking while Tasha and Leo stayed by the door relaying information to Spock as quickly as possible before leaving.

                “I will do my best to assist her.” Was the last verbal thing Spock said and Tasha and Leo were gone. As soon as the door closed I could no longer hear their thoughts, and I was glad.

                As I have more control and it will probably help you for me to only think instead of talk aloud I will communicate with you telepathically. Do you know if you can also project your voice yet?

                “Thanks, I appreciate that, it’s kinda hard to distinguish thoughts from words spoken out loud. At least you can keep your ‘voice’ quiet, now that you know, I guess. I still don’t understand how I was able to hear your thoughts. I thought Vulcans were not ‘hearable’ or something like that.”

                While it is true that existing telepathic races cannot hear our thoughts, it may also be true that your telepathic ability is quite different than those types known of. However, now that I know of your ability, I am able to guard my mind sufficiently enough to communicate with you but not overwhelm you with errant thoughts. I am also a Vulcan, so it is not in my nature to have errant thoughts. It was wise of your friends to suggest bringing you to me.

                “Yeah, it was, sorry about my presentation. I didn’t really have time to throw my uniform on when we left, and, well I have a massive headache from walking through the courtyard full of cadets and their errant thoughts.” I explained bringing my head up so I could talk to him while making eye contact.

                I shall make some tea to help with your headache. You should try to project your thoughts to me silently. I wish to comprehend the extent of your telepathy before trying to dampen the ability, if that is possible.

                “Okay, umm, I don’t really know how to go about doing that.” I admitted as he walked into the kitchen area of his condo to start making the headache tea.

                Try to think of it as if you were attempting to talk to me, but do not open your mouth and use your voice. I would imagine looking at me first would make the experiment easier. He said mentally, and turned around from the stove, allowing the water to boil as he walked towards me and sat down in the chair next to his couch. I turned to face him.

                Can you hear me? I asked, not opening my mouth. It was a strange feeling, trying to talk to someone with my mind. Strange because it seemed like he could hear me, before he gave his reply.

                Yes. I can hear you. I am going to make the tea and allow it to steep. I will be turned away from you. Attempt to talk to me using your mind while I am turned around. With that he rose from the chair and headed into the kitchen again. I stared at him for a moment, trying to think of the best way to talk to him without eye contact. Then I turned my head to the way, pictured his face in my mind and tried to speak to him mentally.

                Alright, I am not looking at you. Can you hear me now? I said. He turned around, shock evident in his eyes and only his eyes.

                It seems you are better at this than one would expect for sudden case of telepathy. You appear to be, as humans would say, a natural. He replied, finally turning around just as I turned my head to face him once more.

                The tea will steep for five more minutes, but I surmise that your headache is decreasing already. Is it not?

                Yes, actually it is. I mean, it still throbs, but I don’t know. Why would that even be?

                I would speculate it was due to your being fairly new to hearing the thoughts of others and being unable to filter out voices you did not wish to hear. As I am the only one here, and you seemed to have a range according to the doctor and your friend, it is logical to assume, the mental stress for you has decreased significantly.

                Ah, well that makes sense. So how do I block thoughts then? I don’t want to walk around campus in agony and not being able to know if people are talking or thinking.

                I will attempt to instruct you, however, as Vulcans are only touch telepaths, I do not know if my instruction will be helpful at all. It is curious, however, that during our mental conversation, you have been speaking to me in Vulcan, even though I had originally spoken to you in standard.

                What? I didn’t even realize. How is that possible?

                I do not quite understand it myself. Your mind may have simply recognized my thought pattern and chose to respond to it in the easiest way it could. Quite possibly, that is what happened on your first day of class with me as well, only aloud that time.

                This is quite a bit much to take in right now. I felt odd. Yes, odd was the best word to describe how I felt. It was odd to be having a conversation with someone, in my head, without using my voice. It was odd to be alone, in Spock’s condo, again, and it was odd that my mind had decided to talk to Spock in Vulcan over Standard.

                The tea should be ready for you to consume now. He said, grabbing a pottery cup from the counter and walking towards me. He handed me the cup and sat in the chair next to the couch once more.

                So, about blocking…. I thought to him, trailing off in my mental voice just as I would have out loud.

                I suggest you mentally picture what you perceive to be you and encase yourself in something. It should not matter what.

                I did just as he instructed. I closed my eyes and I pictured myself in my mind’s eye and put myself in a room with four walls and a roof. No windows.

                “Am I to assume you did not hear what I attempted to say to you mentally?” I heard Spock’s voice ask. Out loud.

                “No, I didn’t. Thank you. I didn’t think it would be this easy.” I said relaxing into the couch some, enjoying the mental silence. I drank deeply from the tea he had prepared for me and found that it actually tasted quite nice. If there could be a taste that personified the autumn, this tea would be it.

                “While this method will be more than efficient at blocking out other thoughts as well as preventing you to project your own, I believe it will become quite tiresome if sustained for a long duration of time. What image did you conjure in your mind to be so effective?”

                “I pictured a room with four walls, a roof, and no windows. It became quite dark when I was finished.” I replied.

                “Would you be open to an experiment?” He asked.

                “Sure, but first, where the heck did this come from? It basically came out of the blue. Like one-minute I was just plain old me, no telepathy, and then BAM! I could hear Tasha thinking to herself, except at first I didn’t realize she wasn’t talking out loud.”

                “It may be that your telepathy was an innate ability within you and the wall in your mind kept it from becoming active. Once the wall was taken down, it allowed you to begin to develop the ability.”

                “I guess that is an explanation, but why did it take so long?” I asked, genuinely curious.

                “I cannot give you an accurate answer to any of these questions, as it is I can only speculate. However, logic would say that, in every culture with telepathic abilities, they are honed through training, and time. It may be that your ability just needed time to properly surface. You may not have consciously noticed the beginning of the telepathy being borne. You may have first experienced some sort of heightened intuition which gradually led to the appearance of being telepathic.” He said this with such surety, however, I knew he was truly only guessing, because he certainly didn’t know anything more than I knew at this point. “As for the experiment, I would like you to imagine a barrier with more flexibility, possibly to allow you to harness the telepathic ability, but only as much so for it not to overwhelm you. To make this experiment truly work I will lower my own shields. Shields that are not normally needed for me unless I am touching another individual. We will then attempt to see if you can hear my projected thoughts, and at which point you can hear all of my thoughts. Following that you will attempt to speak to me.”

                “Okay. Uh, give me a second.” I closed my eyes and pictured myself in my mind’s eye once again, removing the walls around me until there was nothing keeping me safe from hearing Spock’s thoughts. I gasped loudly at the wave of thought that attacked my mind. I could hear his projected thought which said to create a fluid barrier, but I could also hear the thoughts he wasn’t projecting. Thoughts about the situation, thoughts about the Sealtag, about me. Before I allowed myself to dwell too much on his thoughts, I started to focus on creating a barrier. It seemed like it would be an invasion of privacy if I were to allow myself to basically read his mind.

                I decided that the most fluid thing I could think of was water. So I began to make a second skin, surrounding myself in water. I could almost feel the coolness of it. And as soon as my mental image of myself was coated in a skin of water I could only hear his projected thought.

                Are you sufficiently blocked?

                I believe I am. I can no longer hear everything in your mind. I am sorry if I invaded your privacy, I tried not to listen, if that helps.

                Your apology is unnecessary. I allowed you to do so, it was needed. As it is, I applaud you for thinking of my privacy, and being able to construct a defense so quickly while still allowing yourself to have communication. I was unsure if you would be able to do so quite this soon.

                I’m kinda shocked myself.

                It is quite remarkable that you have taken to this ability as if you had been trained for years. I have never even heard of a full betazoid capable of accomplishing this much without much time spent training, and even they are not fully telepathic until puberty.

                Uh, thanks?

                Thanks are not necessary. I am merely stating fact. It would seem no further intervention is needed. You have taken to the skill quite well, and are, I believe, quite able to keep yourself from becoming overwhelmed.

                Yes, I think I am. “Thank you for your help, but honestly, talking with my mind is still a bit strange.” I decided to switch back to speaking aloud. It felt too intimate to talk to Spock with my mind. I didn’t know why, but I had the feeling he found it intimate as well. Though, he would probably rationalize the intimacy with logic, saying it was necessary to my well-being and understanding of how to control my newfound ability.

                “I understand. Telepathic communication can be rather….intimate.” He confessed. So I was right. I must’ve picked it up from him, although subconsciously.

                “So…do you have any ideas about why I had this innate ability?” I asked, wanting to get to the bottom of this once and for all.

                “I can merely speculate, but I shall share my speculations with you, as I believe that, while unproven, it could be closely considered fact.” He replied. Then proceeded to tell me the so called prophecy from the Sealtag.

                “I have to admit…I am pretty scared about what that means.” I replied with much trepidation.

                “There is a phrase, written in the books of history of humans that I believe would apply here. ‘We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.’” Spock said coolly.

                “Plato.” I whispered.

               

               

 



© 2016 Vanshika Bhatia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on March 19, 2016
Last Updated on March 19, 2016


Author

Vanshika Bhatia
Vanshika Bhatia

New Delhi, Asia, India



About
writer. Going to start out with fanfic mostly to get a better idea and feel for my writing style! Help PLEASE! Thanks. more..

Writing