Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by mappingthenight
"

The nighttime loves heartache

"

Seb was exhausted and I wasn’t far behind him in terms of weariness. After a lengthy dispute of who-was-sleeping-where, I finally convinced Seb to let me have the couch.


            “I’m not working. I don’t have to be up early. And I won’t take up any of your space. Just let it be, Seb, at least for now.” I was over quarrelling with him and I could detect it was only making him more fatigued. Beat, he scratched his head before rubbing his hand across his lower jaw, and I read the hesitancy in his gaze.


            “Alright, bonehead,” he said, finally conceding with a shrug of his broad shoulders, “whatever you want. But don’t hesitate to come get me if you need anything, okay? Promise me.”


            “Promise, Seb.” I went over and kissed his rough cheek good night. He turned and slowly padded into his bedroom, leaving the door open as he went. I made myself comfortable under the blankets and exhaled a large lungful of breath. I reached up to turn the lamp off and closed my eyes to the external world. The hum of the waves rolling themselves into the shoreline gave me comfort and it lulled me into the state of consciousness between sleep and wakefulness, when reality isn’t quite real, but sleep hasn’t snatched you fully, not yet. I paused on the threshold of falling into sleep’s arms for just a moment, before I succumbed completely to its waiting embrace.


----


I awoke later, yanked away from already forgotten dreams. I slowly propped myself up, resting on my elbow, taking in the moonlight over the water. I smiled to myself as I started to lay back down, but then I heard something. Confused, I cocked my head, ears straining to hear. Muffled sounds were wafting over from Seb’s room. I shook my head, trying to erase the sleepy fog from my mind. Quietly, I threw my blanket aside and stood up from the couch. I tip-toed closer to the bedroom.


I leaned against his door frame, taking in his dark form, silhouetted on the bed from the glow of the moon. He was laying on his stomach and his face was halfway buried into his pillow, stifling but not masking his grief. I could see the rapid rise and fall of his shoulders, tense and heaving. One hand had formed a fist around his pillowcase while the other was covering his eyes, muscles rippling up his arms in tense sorrow. I was frozen on the threshold, unsure of whether to cross over or not. Once I recognized the alternative was to go back to the couch and listen helplessly from there, I ventured in.


I softly breathed his name.


I heard his breath catch in surprise, but I had already begun to crawl in the bed behind him. I wrapped an arm across his back and over his ribs, leaning myself into him. I pressed my cheek to his spine, my other hand lightly going to his shoulder, and my ear took in the sound of his swiftly beating heart. He grabbed the hand that was on his ribs and pulled it up, cocooning it and tucking it tightly to his chest, further enmeshing our two bodies. He nestled his chin on top of our interlaced fingers and continued to expel the tears of the brokenhearted. I rested my head on his back and let him be. Before long, I felt him taking deep breaths, trying to soothe himself into sleep.


His breathing finally slowed and he eventually rolled over to face me. Because of the moonlight’s path through the balcony, my face was still aglow with the pale light, while his remained hidden in shadows. I blindly raised my hand and slowly traced my fingers on his skin and through his hair. His fingers found my other wrist and he gently held on, as if to remind himself that he, and not I, was still here. His breathing steadied and I could sense him falling asleep. I kept playing with his hair, tracing his scalp lightly with the ends of my fingers. Neither of us said a word and, eventually, Seb found sleep’s gentle tug an escape. I watched him for a long time with only the moon for company.



© 2015 mappingthenight


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ahh.....looks like something is going to happen between them. I can see so many blurred lines between friendship and love here. Been there, done that many times too...lets see what is gonna happen here in their case.. Keep writing :D :D

Posted 9 Years Ago


mappingthenight

9 Years Ago

That's the perfect summary of this story - blurred lines. It's exactly what I'm going for. Thanks fo.. read more
Isabel25

9 Years Ago

It is progressing really well :)
This one was an emotional roller coaster to say the least! I like it though because it was short and to the point. It really seems like they're going to end up together, at least I hope that's whats going to happen :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


mappingthenight

9 Years Ago

I'm glad you enjoyed :) Do you think it was too brief? I really wanted to capture his hurt, but didn.. read more
Christian N. C.

9 Years Ago

I think its good that it was short because the reader would have to connect and think about the pain.. read more
mappingthenight

9 Years Ago

Awesome, thanks again Christian!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 20, 2015
Last Updated on April 20, 2015
Tags: Friendship, love, heartbreak


Author

mappingthenight
mappingthenight

About
Hello, everyone! I'm new to writing and new to this site. I was hoping to get any kind of feedback, but I mostly write for fun and as a hobby. more..

Writing
Words Words

A Story by mappingthenight


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by mappingthenight


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by mappingthenight



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by mappingthenight