Only Let Downs

Only Let Downs

A Chapter by Jenn Wathen
"

Damon begins to obsess over the new student, Austen.

"

Chapter 2: Damon


Damon is standing at his locker quietly watching the new student, whose name he learned is Austen… Damon sighs impatiently, Austen seemed otherwise normal. 


He’s so tiny… 


Damon watches Austen, who is looking at his phone. Austen’s expression was much gentler than before, his eyes relaxed looking over his phone. Austen looks over his shoulder and meets Damon’s eyes. Damon turns quickly and closes his locker. Just keep walking. 


“What’s so interesting about me that you need to watch me so carefully?” Austen was suddenly next to Damon. Damon jumps to the side in shock and pulls himself together almost instantly.


“W-well, I… You were pretty rude to my friend this morning so that’s pretty interesting.” Damon replies nervously while trying to maintain confidence. Austen and Damon stare at each other, why is this guy so intense? 


“Fair enough.” Austen says flatly and walks away.


What the hell! Damon rubs his temples. I need to talk to dad about this… this newcomer is definitely going to cause problems. Damon continues walking and enters his next class, chemistry. The class was already full, I was so distracted I didn’t get here in time to pick a good partner. Damon observes the classroom, most of the people refuse to make eye contact with him. Damon notices an empty seat next to Austen. Damon sighs and throws his stuff next to him. Damon takes a seat, neither of them looked at each other. Grrreeeattt…  


The teacher enters the room, the teacher looked homeless. He is wearing a loose button up shirt with coffee stains on it, his hair long and messy, and one of his ratty shoes untied. He stops at the front and stares at the class until, inevitably, everyone got quiet. “Okay, I don’t want to assign lab partners so whoever you’re sitting next to is your partner for the semester. No trading.” The teacher walks to his desk and begins to get things ready. Everyone resumes talking. Typical Mr. Hunter. Damon suddenly feels vibrations on the table, he looks over, Austen’s phone is lighting up on the table but Austen is remaining silent and looking forward. 


“You’re phone.” Damon points out.


“I know.” Austen replies instantly.


“Well fix the problem, the vibration will be distracting.” Damon says shortly. Austen grabs the phone and turns it off. 


“Get off my back or we are going to have a problem.” Austen replies back roughly, he doesn’t look at Damon. 


“We’ve already got a problem, bud.” Damon says back without looking at Austen.


“Looks like we’ve got to solve that problem.” 


“Looks like it.”


Both sit in silence for the rest of class and move onto lunch without another word. Damon sits down at the lunch table, at the time only Torey and James are sitting there. 


“Seems the new kid is out for trouble. Can you handle is James?” Damon asks frustratedly. James looks concerned.


“He’s so small though. Feels like I would be beating on my sister.” James says quietly looking at his food. He sighs and looks away from the group and off towards a group of girls. “I’ll handle it… I guess.” The lunchroom goes quiet as Austen walks through the door. Although Srkymir’s retirement populated conversation in the morning, the confrontations between James, Damon and Austen had caused more stir. CJ and Corey sit down at the table with the others.


“What happened in your science class? Val has been talking about it since lunch started.” Corey says looking at Damon. 


“Rumors travel too fast.” Damon grumbles. “Nothing happened, kid gave me attitude. What the hell crawled up his butt?” Damon watches Austen scan the room. Austen turns back to the hallway and leaves the lunchroom.


“Be careful Damon. People already think you’re a delinquent.” Torey voices softly tilting his head. 


“Yeah, plus the new kid is so small. You pick on him everyone is going to hate you.” Corey butts in.


“He was a jerk to James first!” Damon says back in defense.


“But people know I cause trouble.” James argues.


“Torey, has anyone heard anything about the new kid?” Damon asks. Torey is in the middle of eating and shakes his head.


“Nada. Zip. But give it a week.” Torey replies.


“Why a week?” CJ asks.


“It gives people time to recognize his face… or gives Austen time to get to know other people. Those people will talk.” Torey pulls out his phone. “Plus it gives me time to find him on social media.”


“You mean stalk him?” James asks flatly. Torey looks up and gives James the finger.


“Thank you Torey.” Damon says exasperating slightly.


“This kid is really stressing you out?” Corey asks Damon concerningly.


“He could cause problems for my plan this year.” Damon mumbles.


“Why can’t you just enjoy our last year of high school?” Corey sighs, he stands up grabbing his stuff, “I can’t play these games again. Besides, I should be giving Val more attention.” He begins walking away. “Talk to you guys later.”


“Val and Corey seem serious.” James pouts. Watching Corey walk over to a short girl, she has caramel skin and dark brown hair. This is Val, is she curvy and a little on the thicker side. James lays his head on the table, “I want a girlfriend.” Torey pats James’s head.


“Studies are more important than trying to understand immature girls at our age.” Damon grumbles.


“Okay, Grandpa.” replies James. Damon sighs and his demeanor relaxes. 


“You’ll meet a nice girl James. You’re a great guy.” Damon reassuring him.


“Exactly!” Torey says nodding. “Give it time! It is our senior year after all!” James sits back up and looks at his friends. Torey is giving him an extremely happy face, Damon is smirking and CJ giving him a solid thumbs up. James smiles softly.


“So when is the fight with the new guy?” James asks Damon. Damon smiles devilishly at him.



© 2019 Jenn Wathen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

45 Views
Added on November 10, 2019
Last Updated on November 10, 2019
Tags: Comedy, cross-dressing, friends, highschool


Author

Jenn Wathen
Jenn Wathen

Chico, CA



About
Aspiring graphic novelist, I am on Webtoons, Tapas and Tumblr currently. I am back here to itch that writing bug :) more..

Writing
Lonely Lunch Lonely Lunch

A Chapter by Jenn Wathen


Secrets Secrets

A Chapter by Jenn Wathen