Lost Between the Lines

Lost Between the Lines

A Chapter by Jenn Wathen

Chapter 6: Austen


It’s been a week since Austen’s fight against James. And the gang kept their word, the only interaction she had with them is at the school sanctioned activities forcing them to interact. 


Austen spent her lunches on the roof avoiding everyone as much as possible but even that became hard. Some girls and guys became interested in Austen and curious about who she was and how easily she defeated James in a fight. But during her alone time Austen spent it on her phone looking through social media.


Austen is scrolling through her phone, it is passing period on Friday. I can’t wait for the weekend. Austen’s eyes glaze over the screen, the typical. All her old friends were moving on without her. Unfortunately unlike regular teenagers… my friends are multimillionaires… and famous. Ugh. Austen slides her phone in her pocket and looks up to see a group of girls standing in front of her. Austen stops quickly. One of the girls had long straight blonde hair and a huge smile on her face. Her eyes screamed happiness. Oh dear.


“Hey Austen!!” She says cheerfully, the girls around her just watch in awe of her.


“Uh, hey… um…” Austen hesitates, as this girl’s name escapes her. 


“Colette!” She replies happily. “Can I talk to you?” 


“Aren’t you already?” asks Austen confused. Colette laughs loudly and interlocks her arm with Austen’s. Suddenly Colette is pulling Austen towards her next class. 


“I noticed you follow some of the coolest actors and singers on Instabook! Any recommendations?” Colette asks cheerfully.


“Uhm- I guess Cherry Fierce.” Austen replies. They are basically the same person… oh Cherry. Austen’s mind drifts into a distant memory. 


“Thank you! You’re so sweet Austen.” Colette says pressing into Austen. Austen pulls away. Everyone in their class is watching them. Austen notices that Damon is watching them carefully. She isn’t helping me in anyway to avoid the spotlight…


“Thanks Colette… I am gonna go take a seat now.” Austen tries to walk away but Colette pulls on Austen’s hand. 


“Wait, I wanted to see if you’d like to go out with me sometime.” she asks hopefully, Colette has a huge smile across her face. Austen stares at her for a moment, I need to handle this correctly. Austen turns to her and takes a breath. 


“I’d love to say yes Colette but that wouldn’t be fair to you. It’s not that you aren’t a beautiful girl. You are but I don’t feel that way towards you and I wouldn’t want to waste your time. I’m sorry.” Austen watches her smile faded into a sad one. Austen turns away from her and takes a seat in the back row. People are whispering and Colette sadly takes a seat at the front of the class. People give Austen dirty looks. Awesome. 


Austen rests her head on the table, I want this school year to be over with already. 


“Don’t worry so much about what others think... “ says a familiar voice, Austen looks up and to the side, Damon was sitting next to her. 


“Why do you say that?” asks Austen, so he’s talking to me now?


“Colette is on a mission to find a boyfriend for her senior year.” Damon replies back. Austen stares into his eyes the soft green memorized Austen, god if he wasn’t so annoying I’d be so lovestruck by this kid. Why aren’t there girls lined up asking him out? 


“Did she try the same thing on you?” Austen asks inquisitively. Maybe he has a girlfriend.


“No, she’s a family friend… she kept bragging about it to me all summer.” Damon replies back.


“So no girlfriend?” Austen pushes. Damon stares at her for a moment, Austen suddenly feels transparent, hopefully he doesn’t think I am being weird. 


“I don’t really see the point in having a relationship at this age. We should be more worried about expanding our minds.” Damon rebuffs. 


“Having relationships is apart of that learning.” Austen says back, this dick. Thinks he’s so above dating.


“I guess. But I can learn that stuff after highschool. I’m still a kid technically. We all are.” Damon replies flicking a piece of paper off his desk. Austen chuckles. “What?” asks Damon.


“At first I thought you were acting smug. But now I know it’s cause you’re a baby.” Austen laughs.


“I am not a baby.” Damon snaps back, he is glaring at Austen who is holding back laughter. 


“Oh so innocent Damon.” Austen giggles. Damon’s face goes flat and he turns away from her, “Besides, I thought you were gonna leave me alone. What happened to that?”


“I thought I’d help. Guess I shouldn’t have done that.” Damon grumbles. “Even if you lost you’d still be too glued to your phone to even talk to anyone.”


“Are you upset I won’t talk to you?” Austen asks smiling deviously. She stops herself, woah stop Austen. No more flirting. This guy is annoying and not worth your time… Austen watches Damon carefully, he is pouting looking away from Austen, he is embarrassed. How cute.


The rest of the day Austen left alone by the rest of the students, even Damon avoid her glances. As Austen pulled out books for the weekend she heard Colette’s voice.


“Hey, Austen.” Colette says softly. Austen turns around, Colette is alone but her demeanor was different. She was calm. 


“Hi.” Austen says back. This is weird.


“Thank you for being honest.” Colette says flatly. Austen feels anxious, I feel like everytime I am alone with someone like this they call me out on a secret…


“Of course. I would want the same…” Austen throws her backpack over her shoulder and closes her locker. 


“Cherry Fierce was a good suggestion by the way! She’s really funny and I love her style.” Colette has an innocent and friendly smile on her face. Austen hesitates, she’s being genuine isn’t she? 


“I thought you’d like her.” Austen wanted to added, you two are exactly the same.


“Well some of the other girls are wanting you to help them find some cool new media influencers.” Colette smiles.


“They could easily just search for people online.” Austen points out.


“I know but they want your help. Besides it could be a good way to make friends. It’s sad to see you wandering the school alone.” Colette crosses her arms and gives him a worried look. She suddenly smiles and puts her hand out, “consider me your first friend here. Let me help you.” Austen stares at her hand, friends would be nice… 


“Okay.” Austen shakes her hand and they smile at each other.


“Okay as your friend here’s my first piece of advice, I would avoid Damon as much as possible he’s crazy.”


~~


Unknown to Austen and Colette, Damon had overheard their entire conversation… Damon’s soft spot and special interest  for Austen grew. Damon couldn’t understand why this particular individual was so interesting… but like Colette. Damon wanted to be friends with Austen too.



© 2019 Jenn Wathen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on December 8, 2019
Last Updated on December 8, 2019
Tags: Comedy, cross-dressing, friends, highschool, social media


Author

Jenn Wathen
Jenn Wathen

Chico, CA



About
Aspiring graphic novelist, I am on Webtoons, Tapas and Tumblr currently. I am back here to itch that writing bug :) more..

Writing
Lonely Lunch Lonely Lunch

A Chapter by Jenn Wathen