Lonely Lunch

Lonely Lunch

A Chapter by Jenn Wathen

Chapter 3: Austen


Austen stands to look out over the Capital on the school roof, her gaze is far off and distant… I can’t believe I thought I could start new… That kid wants to fight me. The first day nonetheless… Austen turns around with her hands in her hoodie. At least everyone thinks I’m a boy. Austen sits down and takes out her phone, she looks over it carefully as it turns on. The screen goes white then black suddenly a picture of Skrymir and a boy on her wallpaper. Skrymir is teal eyed and has long silver hair. In the picture she is hugging the boy tightly, he has light blonde hair and brown eyes. Both smiling brightly as if it were the happiest day of their lives. Austen smiles but her eyes are sad. She runs her thumb over the picture of the boy and unlocks her phone. 


Fifty messages exploded on Austen’s phone, she sighs heavily and leans against the wall of the roof. I wonder how long this is gonna go on. The messages are all from the same person, the name reads Jack. Austen opens up the messages. It reads:


From Jack:


Listen, we need you back. Why’d you quit on us?


Is this really over a fight?


Austen, you spent months on writing music and choreographing the entire musical. You are the lead actor and writer. How could you give it up so easily?


Look if it’s about the money we can pay you more money! We understand that Kel crossed a line and we can fire her as well.


Austen, please. Haven’t you seen the news? People are losing it. 


If something bad comes out of this…


It will be your fault.


Austen locks her phone screen quickly, more of the same reads on. Can’t the loser come up with anything else? 


I didn’t want this life.


Austen turns off her phone and her mind wonders towards Damon and his friends. This must be some alpha male thing. If I want to keep this up I’ll have to deal with this group properly or they’ll order me around all year. Austen heads to the door that leads back into the school. She walks down the stairs and back into the hallway. As she is walking by she hears some girls gossiping.


“Did you see Corey just leave Damon and his gang today at lunch?” one girl asks the other.


“Yeah!!! There’s definitely going to be a dethroning this year.” Exclaims the other girl. Austen stops at a locker and pulls out her phone. She pretends to look at it. “Especially since Corey has Val!”


“That’s right!!” exclaims girl one. “She’s the central hub of information at this school. They could rule it well.” She smirks.


“Well… I don’t know about that…” says the third girl. The other two look over to her. “The new kid has challenged not just Damon but James too… He could break up the entire gang.” They stand there quietly thinking. 


“I doubt it.” says girl one breaking the silence. Austen walks away quickly before she is noticed. Gang? Dethrone? What’s going on at this school? What did I walk into? Austen walks around a corner quickly and smacks into Torey, they both fall to the floor.


“I am sorry, I didn’t see where I was going,” Austen says without looking at Torey. She looks up and sees him, “Oh.” She says flatly.


“Hey it’s you!” exclaims Torey brightly. Austen gets up quickly and walks away. “Wait!” Torey runs after her and grabs her by the arm. Austen grabs his hand to twist his wrists around. Torey hangs there in pain…”Ow, stop!” Torey yelps. Austen lets go.


“I swear if you and your damn group even look at me one more time today I will lose it.” Austen warns.


“No, it’s nothing like that,” Torey says shaking his hands nervously. “I come in peace… James is kind of a wild card and Damon is paranoid. Sorry if their behavior has bothered you.”


“Why are you apologizing for them?” Asks Austen. 


Torey sighs and shrugs, “I don’t know. I guess I just don’t want unnecessary drama.”


Austen tilts her head, “I can get that but this stuff is between me and them…” Torey sighs sadly and starts walking away. “But I appreciate and understand why you tried.” Torey stops and turns around.



“Really?” Torey asks scanning Austen carefully.


Austen puts weight onto on leg before walking away, “Yeah. People will do what they can to help their friends.” Austen walks away.


One of them isn’t bad… but I still need to settle these problems with Damon and… James? Austen’s mind pictures Damon and it lingers… I wonder why all the girls are afraid of him. Is it the gang? 


“Hey!” Austen turns back around and sees that Torey was still running after her; he is nearly out of breath. “You-You… you look kind of like Skrymir!” Austen stares at him confused. “I mean I know she’s a girl,” he says nervously, “but seriously. You could be her brother or something.” 


Austen pauses, “Uh, thanks.” Austen turns back around and keeps walking, I need to stay away from him. I can’t have, anyone, associate me with that girl… ugh. Austen shakes her head. I wish I could erase those memories. 


Austen walks up to her locker and opens it. She looks around for a moment a pauses watching all the students live their lives. Her eyes soften and her heart tightens. I have no one… No one can ever truly know me. Austen pinches her gut, stop! Don’t think that way. Don’t be a child. Austen grabs her next class’s book: Stats. It was an optional class. Maybe those idiots won’t be in this class. 


She heads towards the classroom. Inside there are only 15 desks and only half are filled. Without thinking, Austen takes a seat and relaxes into it, she pulls out her books then her binder. As she goes to grab her pencil she hits the books and they scatter on the floor; when she goes to grab them another hand reaches for them too. She looks up and the arm is attached to Damon. Austen takes a mental sigh. Why do I keep running into him? 


“Hello.” Damon sings. Austen notices she took a seat next to him in class, a smart bully? I guess no one adheres to stereotypes. 


“What?” Austen asks bluntly. Damon smirks and hands Austen on of her other books. Austen grabs it quickly and places everything on her desk.


“We can solve our problem today after school. Off campus.” Damon says trying act sly. Austen rolls her eyes, this kid is so dramatic. 


“Fighting? Really?” Austen asks like a tired parent.


“We can talk it out but you don’t seem to do that very well.” Damon replies.


Austen shrugs, “Fair enough. What happens if I win?”


“We will leave you alone.”


“If I lose?”


“You’re indebted to us. One favor.” Damon holds up a finger.


Austen stares at him blankly. Should I lose on purpose just to see what it is? “ ‘Kay.” she says flatly. Damon looks proud of himself as he sits back in his seat. “I didn’t peg you as a fighter to be honest.” Austen continues. Damon looks over to her surprised. 


“Oh, not me. James.” Damon replies.


Austen sits there for a moment, “Interesting.” 


“What is?” Damon asks.


“That a leader doesn’t deal with his beef personally.”


Damon pauses and his face becomes stiff, “I deal with my problems when the time comes for it. Until then it goes through the ranks.”


“Is this why everyone is afraid of you?” Austen asks. Damon is thrown off and looks away nervously. Austen shifts uncomfortably, I hit a nerve… good to know. 


“Yeah… Yeah it is.” He replies back quickly. Austen sits in her seat and watches Damon as he tries to focus on his binder instead. Huh. Austen looks to the side and smirks.


“Cute.”


“Huh?” Damon asks looking dumbfounded. Austen turns completely red, did I just say that out loud? 


“Shoot… I said shoot.” Austen replies quickly. Damon stares at her confused, Pick something quick… “I’ve heard that you could be dethroned this year. True?”


“What would you know about this school?” Damon asks sarcastically.


“People talk Damon.” Austen says smoothly, Damon turns white when she speaks his name.


“Exactly, people talk. I know and trust my friends. We are a team. We all have our own strengths we bring to the table.” Damon says confidently.


“Must be nice.” Austen says sadly looking towards the front of the class. Damon stares at her.


“Yeah it is.” He says with a salty attitude. 


Austen looks at her phone and remembers the picture of the two people on it. As much as I want to erase those bad memories… I still want to keep the good ones… the ones with you Harry.


© 2019 Jenn Wathen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
Added on November 14, 2019
Last Updated on November 14, 2019
Tags: friends, cross-dressing, Comedy, highschool


Author

Jenn Wathen
Jenn Wathen

Chico, CA



About
Aspiring graphic novelist, I am on Webtoons, Tapas and Tumblr currently. I am back here to itch that writing bug :) more..

Writing
Secrets Secrets

A Chapter by Jenn Wathen