Alexandre

Alexandre

A Chapter by The Raven
"

This is chapter one for Endings. Hopefully more chapters will be on the way soon!

"

Giant storm heads rolled and billowed above the sleepy town of Safe Harbor. You could hear their grumbling disputes for miles around as the collided into each other. Our ancestor's once thought that they were the echoes of nameless gods, trying to rage war against us and each other, but we know better now. Waves crashed violently around me, lashing out against the shore as the wind picked and nipped at its crests. The wind itself wailed and screamed, pulling at my hair in all different directions, nearly blinding me with its animosity. The sharp, briny smell of the oncoming storm stung my nose and set my soul on fire. The coarse sand bit into my palms as I leaned back on them, admiring the raw beauty of Mother Nature in her true form. Lightning flicked its forked tongue against the warring sky, illuminating it in bright flashesMore thunder clashed, effectively shaking the ground with its might.  

Something's coming. 

"Corin?" I twisted my head to see who dared to venture into a hurricane to find me. My heart struck painfully against my ribcage. A young girl with fierce eyes the color of vibrant forget-me-nots stared down at me. Her full rosy lips pursed tautly as her brows creased in concern. Her face held a deadly kind of beauty. Something otherworldly that belonged far, far away from here. Wisps of dark chestnut hair fluttered in the wind.  

Corin? You shouldn't be here. The hurricane is coming. You need to be indoors." Her tone echoed one of a mother scolding her child for staying up past bedtimeHer low, bell like voice pierced the din of the oncoming storm and rang in my ears. It was quiet, but audible. 

"No." I turned my gaze back to  the waves as they beat against the shore, entranced by the white foam and churning water. I wrapped my scar laden arms around my knees, resting my chin on top of them. A gull cried in distress as it feebly attempted to fight against the wind before crashing onto the shore. 

"Coringo inside while there is still time."  Her tone became more stern. She placed a hand on my shoulder so I would face her. Her touch felt like a bolt of lightning itself. What does it matter if I stay or go? I stood up and faced her, fully agitated to be disturbed on today of all days. 

"Why?" Her eyes widened at the sharpness of my tone. Her expression eased. 

"I'll explain later, but first you need to go inside." What's so important about returning indoors? What does she care if I stay or go? What does she know that I do not? I stared  her down for a full moment. She stared back defiantly, taunting meWithout a word I trudged away from this unexpected stranger towards Safe Harbor, my curiosity outweighing the longing to stay and watch the hurricane unfold. The girl followed soundless behind me.  

We silently wound up the coastal road  and into town. By the time we reached the edge of town, a torrent of rain soaked us instantly, threatening to sweep us away. All the little shops and cafes that lined the main road stood empty and lifeless, just as they should. Every sensible man, woman or child was safely tucked away in their homes, wondering what damage the winter would bring.  

After trudging through the town that now sported rivers rather than roads, we reached a small cottage that sat away from the others nestled against the hillside.  Unlocking the door, I cracked it wide enough for both the girl and I to slip in before slamming against the rain that threatened to drown us 

 I slipped past the girl into the main hall to fetch towels, handing her one once I found them.  She took it quietly, not daring to look up at me. Her defiant attitude lessened to one of a quiet awkwardness.  

"You drink tea?" I quietly asked as I drifted towards the kitchen, reaching for the candle and box of matches that rested in the kitchen windowsill. A flash of lightning illuminated the darkened kitchen, followed by a clash of thunder,  

"Yes." Came the quiet response. She drifted in hesitantly behind me. I carefully took a match out of the box, struck the head against the rough white plaster of the window sill, and lighted the candle. I strode over to the hearth with the candle and match box in hand and knelt, setting the candle on the floor next to me. I quickly struck another match and lowered it to a ball of shredded palm bark dipped in oil nestled inside the hearth, smiling as the fire from the match hungrily engulfed it. Gently, I set the kindling around it, slowly building it. After a few moments, it grew large enough for small twigs.  

The girl knelt beside me to watch. A calm silence settled in the house.  

"My name is Alexandre Kay Kingston, and I know how your story ends." I froze, stunned by such bold wordsI turned to her to see if she was joking. She stared at me seriously.  

 "What?" What was meant to come out as harsh and forceful reproach escaped as a terrified whisper. 

"My name is Alexandre Kay Kingston and  I know how your story ends. I have come here to change it." This is just a joke right? No one knows how another's life will end. A sharp realization stung me. How much does she know? 

 "Do not panic. I merely wish to help." She bowed her head. Tears fell onto the warm, grey hearth stone. She seemed to evolve into an entirely new person from the beach.  "You're my favorite story character. I refuse to allow you die in such a manner. You deserve so much more than that." Gleaming forget-me-not eyes pierced mine. No human alive has those colored eyes.They're too bright. Too vibrant.  

I stared at her, appalled. I fell back from my heels to connect painfully with the hearth stone. The storm raged outside, but it paled in comparison to the storm within me.  

"Who are you?" Anger quickly replaced my panicThere is no way this can be happening. If this is some kind of sick joke... 

"I told you who I am." Alexandre's tears streamed faster. Panic settled around her. The firelight gave her tears the allusion of hot magma seeping from the side of a volcano 

"You gave me a name. That doesn't tell me much about you." I still couldn't produce more than a whisper. This is too much. Far too much. 

"In my realm, a name is everything." She mumbled lowly and brought the towel up to her face to wipe her tears.  

"Realm?" I echoed, noticing her odd appearance. It was outlandish, resembling those of a time long past.  A richly embroidered viridian tunic hung to her mid thigh to cover leggings of the same color. Her sepia hunting boots came to her knees. A thick belt hung around her waist, sporting a long dagger and a pouch. She reminded me of someone from a long forgotten fairy tale. I drew my gaze from her clothes to her face. Those forget-me-not eyes watched my closely.  Wet chestnut hair stuck to her face and hung past her shoulders in waves. Tapered ears peeked out from her mane of hair.  She's definitely not from around here. An uneasy tension hung in the air. 

 I tore my gaze from Alexandre to the flickering fire and took a deep breath before speaking again."Where is you realm?"  

 "Come, I’ll show you.Before I could respond, she leapt to her feet, pulling me up with her.  

"Put out the fire." Disbelief swept through me. 

"I just started it." I arched an eyebrow. 

"That doesn’t matter. It'll be warm enough where we're going." Looking at her, I had the feeling if I didn't put it out, she would do iy for me With a heavy heart, I trudged over to the kitchen and picked up a bucket of sweet well water. I trudged back over to the hearth. After one last longing gaze to the one source of comfort I had left, I threw the bucket's contents into it. The fire hissed and sputtered, then extinguished completely. Alexandre  stepped forward to remove a stick that still harbored a glowing ember and slipped into the hallway. Intrigued, I followed her. She quickly  examined each doorway as she passed and stopped at the end of the hallway. Closing the door, she pressed the still burning end of the stick, drawinstrange runes onto it. The air sung with energy. The hair on the back of my neck and arms bristled.  

Soon the runes started to glow and swirl. They swirled faster and faster, until soon it was a kaleidoscope of colors. Alexandre stepped back and stood next to me. 

"You may want to link arms with me. If we get separated, there's no way I can come back and help you." Without a word I looped my arm with hers. She turned her gaze away from the door to look at me. "Ready?" 

"Yes." My body tensed and my head reeled as the colors swirled at a higher, more frenzied rate. With a deep breath, Alexandre gently tugged me forward. With a blink of an eye, we entered through the door.  

The sensation was much like stepping through an icy water fall, only you're falling, and the heaviness of the water crushing you in all different directions. We fell faster and faster. The light blurred, then nothing. Nothing but darkness, and pain.



© 2015 The Raven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on July 17, 2015
Last Updated on July 17, 2015


Author

The Raven
The Raven

AZ



About
As an artist chooses their mediums, as will I. The page is my canvas and the combination of 26 letters and the right shade of punctuation is my paint. I want to make the world a little less dark and a.. more..

Writing
So It Begins So It Begins

A Chapter by The Raven


The Truth The Truth

A Chapter by The Raven