So It Begins

So It Begins

A Chapter by The Raven

Shadow

I couldn’t remember how I reached that spot, or how I could have survived; all I remember was falling into the arms of a woman with warm almond shaped eyes with a startled expression. Ever since that day, I have struggled to remember who I was or how could I have traveled into the Welyra. The only wisps of memories I have left are dark, twisted images and blinding, blinding blurs.

***

 “With twelve years of training, you would think I would manage to have at least one lazy day. Can’t I take a break? Just for once?” I polished my sword with a scowl. My shield laid next to me, gleaming in the noon sun. Silver Axe chuckled as he continued to polish his axe on the palace steps beside me.

“Look where you are after twelve years of training with us, you stubborn mule. If your skull were any thicker, it would make a formidable missile in a dwarfish catapult. You better watch your back in case they take it.” I glared at Eilra in answer to her jibe. Judging from his expression, Silver Axe didn't share her humor but for once held his tongue. It is easy for her to say, she is elven kind. Silver Axe and I are the only non-elven kind here.  I stuck my tongue out at her and wiped the sweat rom by brow. Elira laughed and shook her head.

 I scowled at her from my place on the palace steps. I heard a musical laugh behind me and twisted around to see the Queen in her fiery apparel. She watched our banter and smiled in mirth at her daughter.

She turned to me with a smile, her dark eyes flickering with a dark amusement, “Shadow, if I recall correctly, Heen has been scouring the forest looking for you. It is not fitting that one of my household should irk him so. He might jinx the tables once more.” My scowl darkened at the thought of Heen. It drew another laugh from the Queen as she watched of my changing expressions. “He is a fine elf, Shadow. You would do well to have him as an ally. He means well.” She smiles kindly as she finished her last sentence, watching my face once again. I sighed and rubbed my eyes tiredly; I knew I needed to find him soon, but I was hesitant. “If I were you, I would find him sooner rather than later.” She warned, then casted her gaze over to Silver Axe and Eilra. “As for you two, I have a task for you.” I groaned as I heaved myself off of the palace step and stretched my sore muscles, joints popping back into place. I need sleep, but should find Heen first. Who knows what he’ll do next if I don’t.  With another groan, I carefully sheathed Rigormortis and clipped my shield to my back.  I nodded at elves as they passed by and headed in the direction of the palace grounds, certain that I would find him there.

As I entered into the vast palace grounds, I stuck to the shadows, uncertain of what may befall upon me in the open. I skirted though the trees to the lake, searching intently for any indications of a prank or attack. Upon finding none, I wandered to the edge of the water and sat cross legged, watching the water fowl serenely glided across its surface. Heen had a golden heart, for a Dark elf, but was also a renowned master trickster.

 “Wary as ever I see. I assume the Queen put in a good word, considering you only come out of the shadows at her bidding.” I arose and turned to face Heen as he approached. He must have been hiding in the high elms again. Seeing him caused a wry smile to spread itself across my face. His silver hair gleamed in the strong sunlight. Mischief danced in his icy blue eyes. He stopped a few feet in front of me, but still loomed overhead like one of the elms that guarded these grounds.

 “Good tidings Heen. Word has it that you have been scouring the forest for me, if I recall correctly.” Searching his face, I was surprised to see a violet blush warm his angled face.

Heen ducked his head and muttered, “Scouring would not be the word I would have used. You have an uncanny ability of hiding in the lightest of shadows. Even I can’t find you.”

Hearing this surprised me further. Praise was not something Heen gave lightly, but seemed to become a more common occurrence as the years passed on. Heen tore his gaze from his feet to my face, “There is a reason why you were given the name you have. I should know. I was there the night the Queen found you.”

 My surprise turned into a paralyzing shock. The night the Elves found me was a seemingly forbidden topic. All Queen Atanais ever had mentioned of the subject was that they were bestowed a terrible but great gift that night. To this day I do not understand the meaning of her words, but they burned in the back of my mind.

 My gaze bore directly into his. “What are you saying?” If this is some master trick of his, he will not walk away so easily this time. Why bring it up now after all the years I pestered him about it?

 “Do not be so hurt, I was merely informing you of my presence there that night. Do not think of me as your enemy, for I am far from that.” His gaze flickered to something behind me. Turning away from me, he strode to the far side of the grounds and was swallowed up by the surrounding wilderness. 

A voice sounded from behind. “Shadow.” I spun lightly, only to become face to face with Queen Atanais. Her face was solemn, intermingled with an ancient sadness that clashed with the youth that resided there. “Come, it is time. We have much to discuss.”




© 2015 The Raven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I tend to think that fantasy is overdone, but you've done a really great job so far despite that thought. Firstly, I really enjoy the internal thoughts of Shadow that you've allowed the reader to see. I think that it really helps the reader to start sympathizing with the character straight away as well as start to see his character develop right away. Secondly, I have a weakness for little hints in a story. It's what hooks me, and I think you did a really great job with throwing in a bit of foreshadowing here: '"All Queen Atanais ever had mentioned of the subject was that they were bestowed a terrible but great gift that night. To this day I do not understand the meaning of her words, but they burned in the back of my mind." I have a feeling that you are going to reveal that to your reader sometime throughout this story. You do a great job of only giving your reader so much information and then hinting that there is more to come. I'm intrigued, wanting to know more. I do have question for you though. What do you plan to do differently through your novel to set yourself apart from most fantasy novels out there?

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
1 Review
Added on July 19, 2015
Last Updated on July 19, 2015


Author

The Raven
The Raven

AZ



About
As an artist chooses their mediums, as will I. The page is my canvas and the combination of 26 letters and the right shade of punctuation is my paint. I want to make the world a little less dark and a.. more..

Writing
The Truth The Truth

A Chapter by The Raven


A Fool's Errand A Fool's Errand

A Chapter by The Raven