Kyra

Kyra

A Chapter by The Raven

Rowan

Tiredly, Wenecke and I approached the Elves’ stronghold that could easily be mistaken as a palace. Stepping from the shadows, we walked towards what appeared to be a courtyard. Wenecke was what many her tribe considered talented with the traveling form of shadow magic, but she was from Kyra’s level.  Kyra. That name always filled me with pain and guilt. It was my fault she was gone, so it became my duty to find her. Even one from her lineage and natural power, I doubted she had made it far. Not with her wounds. I forced myself to abandon those thoughts and focused on the task at hand. Despite my doubts, the seer of the tribu Angeli forsaw her alive. I was to bring her home, whatever the cost. We needed her. Without her, we were lost. As we entered into the courtyard, the surrounding elves stopped and stared. One darted into an open door way on the far side of the courtyard.

 A crowd soon began to gather. “You just had to come as you were.” I ignored Wenecke, as always. Of course I didn’t hide my wings. They were apart of who I was and I was becoming quite tired of hiding. What did I have to fear? There are few creatures that could take down a fledgling, let alone a mature angel. I scanned over the growing crowd, studying faces. As I was scanning, a snarl came from behind me. Wenecke and I turned slowly towards the noise. “You.” A girl dressed in an elven tunic and trousers appeared from the crowd. The crowd itself had retreated a few feet, startled but somehow relieved.  The girl glared with an intensity that caused me to examine my bare feet.

“Who are you?” I was surprised that Wenecke would take lead here.

“I am Shadow, House of Queen Atanais herself. The question is who are you? What business do you have in these lands?” I could feel Wenecke’s shock and terror at this Shadow’s response. Who is this girl? Why is she so familiar to me? I could feel my face darken in answer to this girl’s animosity. I looked Shadow in the eyes.

 “That’s not who you are.” The words startled me as they came from my mouth. Shadow kept her face just as dark and unyielding.

“Then who am I, O Knowledgeable One? Who are you to say who I may or may not be?” I growled at her response.

 “Shadow?” An elf approached Shadow with a concerned expression. “Who are these people?” Shadow turned to the elf and shrugged. I looked at the elven girl.

 “I am Rowan Stormbringer, ambassador for the Angels of the Unforgiving Ranges. My companion is Wenecke of Stone Will, wife of the great Chieftain of the Soot Ravens.” Shadow said nothing as the elven girl studied me intently.

“Very well. My mother wishes to see you. The last time your people were here was to be the bearer of bad news. Come.” She turned on her heel and disappeared into the doorway I had noticed another one of her kind disappear into earlier. Shadow said nothing as we passed her to follow the elven girl. Once we passed, she fell behind, bringing up the flank.

The elven girl led us down a series of twisting hallways that I soon became lost in. We stopped at a massive pair of oak doors, richly depicting the great love that the elves had for their forest. The elf knocked three times before the doors opened to reveal what was undoubtingly the queen in a long jade green dress seated in a large oak chair, with Shadow already stationed by her side. She arose from her chair to greet us, but Shadow stayed where she was, following the queen with watchful eyes. “Welcome, Rowan of the Unforgiving Ranges and Wenecke of Stone Will. I am Queen Atanias, Ruler of the Elven Realms.” I bowed before the queen; Wenecke followed suit. “Thank you my liege.” The queen raised an eyebrow, but continued. “May I introduce my daughter Eilra and my other daughter Shadow.” Another elf slipped through the doors, followed by an aged dwarf. “May I also introduce the court physician Heen, as well as, Murdan Silver Axe the Mighty of the Household of Thardohr."

The dwarf bowed slightly, but the other elf crossed to where Shadow stood to join her, giving no acknowledgement to our presence. Wenecke, noticing my silence, thanked the queen.

“It has been many year since your people have been here, Rowan Stormbringer and Wenecke Stone Will. I am curious on terms have brought you to my domain.” Her gaze settled on my face.

“Three months ago, the seer of the Soot Ravens saw the survival of the chieftain’s lost daughter and foretold of us finding her here. Arriving in your lands, we have the seen the signs of the seer being true.” I studied her face as intently as she was studying mine.

“Oh?” The queen’s face hardened slightly. “Please forgive me if I have a hard time believing you. If you truly believed she was here, why has it taken twelve years for you to find her here? Something tells me you have not destroyed the Source. With the aid of angels it should have been no match, unless the angels were too late.” The queen spat out the word angels as if it had bitten her. A deep sense of numbing dread washed over me as I slightly panicked. How does she know?! How much does she know?! “Oh yes, Rowan Strombringer. I know of your tardiness to that battle, leaving your allies to die. To think that they hold you in the revered title of holy.” The contempt in her voice was chilling. Once again, it was Wenecke who spoke for me. A slight tremor of emotion had entered her voice; if I had not known better, I would have thought her as angered.

“How? How did you know? You are one to talk, Atanais.” The queen leveled her stare as she answered.

“I was the one who found the child, Wenecke of Stone Will. She was half dead and all she could utter was ‘The angels have come, but they are far too late.’ The fact that a child of the human race could survive the Unforgiving Ranges is testament enough to your race’s stubbornness. If you are speaking of Kyra, you are far too late. She is one of us now. In fact, she's here now.” Silence enveloped the room for several minutes. No one moved as they soaked in her words.

 It was Shadow who first spoke. "What is he talking about?" The queen turned to her. Looking between Shadow and her mother, I could see the anger rolling off of Shadow. Not a word was spoken, but a silent communication was in the process. "Shadow," the queen warned. "That's black magic. You know that. Do not let you hatred blind you." I grew uneasy, slightly shifting my weight. There was something familar about this girl. A deep sense of nagging dread kept growing from the back of my head. It's her. Do you not remember what she looked like? She looks like a mirror image of her mother. I gave a startled side glance at Wenecke. She kept her composure as she watched Shadow.

 What are you saying? That's Kyra? She was taken in by the elves, more importantly one of the dark elves?! Wenecke broke her gaze from Shadow to me.

Of course it's her. What elf could possibly master shadow magic as skillfully as her? Shadow is Kyra. Are you really that surprised that the elves refused to let her go? Looking at Shadow, it slowly began to make sense. I could see traces of my childhood friend. A pang of sorrow hit me hard, stealing my breath. Kyra.



© 2015 The Raven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on July 19, 2015
Last Updated on July 19, 2015


Author

The Raven
The Raven

AZ



About
As an artist chooses their mediums, as will I. The page is my canvas and the combination of 26 letters and the right shade of punctuation is my paint. I want to make the world a little less dark and a.. more..

Writing
So It Begins So It Begins

A Chapter by The Raven


The Truth The Truth

A Chapter by The Raven