The Calm Before the Storm

The Calm Before the Storm

A Chapter by The Raven

Shadow

Warily as ever, I crept up the stairs on silent feet, careful not to make a sound. As I reached the final step, a warm breeze caressed my face with the sweet smell of the lunar flowers. “Heen?” I called softly, not wanting to disturb the stillness of the evening. “Here.” I turned to my left, greeted by the sight of Heen leaning against the smooth stones of the battlement. I quietly went to his side and leaned on the battlement, soaking in the view.

“You followed me.” His voice came out flat and expressionless.

“Naturally.” I examined the smooth stone beneath my fingertips.

“Why?” Heen shifted his body towards me, titling his head slightly.

I traced invisible patterns into the stone before answering him. “You always are there for me. I would not have survived my first initial months here without you and Eilra to guide the way. Knowing what I know now, I would not have survived before ever stepping foot in these forests either.” I looked up at him. He studied me carefully before gently pulling me to his chest and rested his chin on the top of my head. I stiffened before I relaxed and returned the embrace. He must truly be upset. He’s usually not the one for physical contact. “When I came to become the Queen’s court physician, I had no idea what I was about to get myself into.” I buried my head into his chest and mumbled, “What do you mean?” Heen chuckled slightly, but it came out slightly broken. “When I found you in her arms, bruised, battered and beaten, my heart shattered. I knew you went through things no child should ever go through. I doubted my abilities in healing you. I knew your wounds were far above my level of expertise. You, Shadow, are a remarkably strong woman.” He kissed the top of my head. We stood there for some time, basking in the scent of the lunar flowers as the full moon’s light washed over us.

Heen chuckled before releasing me. I looked up at him perplexed. “I’ve forgotten how healing embraces are.” I smiled as a slight blush warmed my cheeks.

We stood for another long moment before he spoke again. “You should rest.” I sighed and nodded, reluctant to leave him alone.

“Will you be alright, up here alone?” Heen smiled softly, blushing slightly himself.

“With you, I am never alone. But, if it will ease your worry, I will retire myself.” 

I could feel my face blaze. “Good even, Heen.” I looked up at his face, illuminated with the light of a full moon, unsure if I was ready to leave him quiet yet. You’ve grown attached to him, haven’t you? Leave it to you to fall for an elf, but the elves you are all you have ever known.

Heen’s smile grew wider as his eyes twinkled as he watched my reluctance to leave. “Good even ...  nirr ruya.” Convinced that my face resembled a ruby dragon’s hide, I turned away and melted into the shadows. As much as I tried, I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face as I prepared to sleep. My mind repeated his parting words over and over until I fell asleep.  

Good even …. my love.



© 2015 The Raven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on July 19, 2015
Last Updated on July 19, 2015


Author

The Raven
The Raven

AZ



About
As an artist chooses their mediums, as will I. The page is my canvas and the combination of 26 letters and the right shade of punctuation is my paint. I want to make the world a little less dark and a.. more..

Writing
So It Begins So It Begins

A Chapter by The Raven


The Truth The Truth

A Chapter by The Raven


A Fool's Errand A Fool's Errand

A Chapter by The Raven