Ghosts From the Past

Ghosts From the Past

A Chapter by The Raven
"

Sorry if this chapter seems a little short, the next one will be longer!

"

I awoke to sunlight streaming from my window. As I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, more exhausted than ever, I could feel a palpable tension fill the air. Rolling out of bed, I padded to the window overlooking the courtyard below. A small crowd gathered, with two strangers in its center. Turning away from the window, I quickly donned a loose tunic and trousers, slipped on a worn pair of leather boots and placed a belt with Rigormortis around my hips. Grabbing my quiver and bow from a chair, I jogged out the chamber door and towards the courtyard.

When I reached the courtyard, the crowd dispersed slightly, providing enough space for me to effortlessly pass through. With a hand one the hilt of my sword, I entered into the opening. Standing in the center, was a woman fully clothed in leather armor and a broadsword across her back. At her hip, a long unsheathed dagger gleamed wickedly in the morning light. Her dark hazel eyes coolly passed from one person to another, as if in search of a recognizable face. I passed over her, and focused on her companion. He towered above the elves, standing as firm as the ancient elm. His grey eyes storming as he passed over the crowd. Wings the color of the snow heron were neatly pressed to his back. Anger erupted from my belly, as a snarl tore from my throat and became more pronounced as my lips curled. The crowd, surprisingly startled, receded slowly. It felt like a lifetime since I had laid eyes on his kind, but the startling feelings of hurt and betrayal still remained. Most memories were still unclear, but memories of the angels stood among the most vibrant. Queen Atanais’ words echoed in my head in faint whispers, The angels have come, but they are far too late.

The angel and his companion turned to face me. My frame shook trembled from the fire of my fury. “You.” My voice rang out in the stillness, low and dangerous.  The angel looked at his feet, unable to return my glare.

“Who are you?” I looked to the companion. “I am Shadow, of the Household of Queen Atanais herself. The question is who are you, or better yet, what brings you to these lands?” Shock and terror swept across her face. Her companion looked from her to me with a dark expression.

 “That is not who you are.” I kept my face expression dark and unyielding.

“Then who am I, O Knowledgeable One?” A growl rumbled deep from his throat. 

“Shadow?” I turned to see Eilra, pushing her way to where I stood.

“Who are these people? I shrugged slightly, not fully knowing how to answer her. The angel looked to Eilra.

“I am Rowan Stormbringer, ambassador for the Angels of the Unforgiving Ranges. My companion is Wenecke of Stone Will, wife of the great Chieftain of the White Ravens.”  I said nothing as Eilra studied him intently.

“Interesting. My mother wishes to see you. The last time your people came into our forest as heralds of grim tidings. Let us pray that this meeting will be more fortunate. Come.” Eilra turned on her heel and went into an open doorway on the far side of the courtyard. I allowed the strangers to proceed before me as I brought up the rear. 



© 2015 The Raven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on July 19, 2015
Last Updated on July 19, 2015


Author

The Raven
The Raven

AZ



About
As an artist chooses their mediums, as will I. The page is my canvas and the combination of 26 letters and the right shade of punctuation is my paint. I want to make the world a little less dark and a.. more..

Writing
So It Begins So It Begins

A Chapter by The Raven


The Truth The Truth

A Chapter by The Raven