Old Friends and White Lies

Old Friends and White Lies

A Chapter by The Raven

While Eilra was leading Rowan and Wenecke, or whoever they were out of the courtyard, I slipped into a pool of shadow and moved ahead into the war chambers. It was as if Fate would have it that I would see more of that place. The Queen jerked in her chair once she noticed my arrival. She stared at me, her jaw agape as I walked out of a pool of shadows.

"What?" She shook her head and glanced sideways at me.

You've become better with your shadow magic." I shrugged and dropped my gaze to the floor.

Where's Eilra?" I took my position at her side as the massive oak doors opened to reveal Eilra with Roan and Wenecke close behind. She arose from her chair to greet them. I stayed where I was, but followed her with my eyes. Angels were tricky adversaries, but I was not worried.

“Welcome, Rowan of the Unforgiving Ranges and Wenecke of Stone Will. I am Queen Atanias, Ruler of the Elven Realms.” He bowed before the queen; Wenecke followed suit.

“Thank you my liege.” The Queen raised an eyebrow, but continued.

“May I introduce my daughter Eilra and my other daughter Shadow.” Other daughter? Heen slipped through the doors, followed by Silver Axe.

“May I also introduce the court physician Heen, as well as, Murdan Silver Axe the Mighty of the Household of Thardohr." Silver Axe bowed slightly. Heen said nothing, but crossed the room to stand next to me. An uneasy feeling swept through out my body. Something about these strangers did not sit well. Rowan Stormbringer watched Heen as if her were a wolf, ever ready to spring out and bite. Wenecke noticed Rowan’s silence as well and thanked the Queen, covering for him. The Queen spoke again, a slight hardness crept into her voice.

“It has been many years since your people have been here, Rowan Stormbringer and Wenecke Stone Will. I am curious on terms have brought you to my domain.” Her gaze settled on Rowan. He returned it as he answered her.

 “Three months ago, the seer of the Soot Ravens foresaw the survival of the chieftain’s lost daughter and foretold of us finding her here. Arriving in your lands, we have the seen the signs of the seer being true". 

“Oh?” Queen Atanias' face hardened ever more slightly. “Please forgive my doubt of the sincerity of your mission. If you truly believed she was here, why has it taken twelve years for you to find her here? Something tells me you have not destroyed the Source. With the aid of angels it should have been no match, unless the angels were too late.” The queen spat out the word angels as if it had bitten her. Dread passed over Rowan's face, as if he was hoping she would not have known. I grew agitated, and shifted my weight slightly. “Oh yes, Rowan Strombringer. I know of your tardiness to that battle, leaving your allies to die. To think that they hold you in the revered title of holy.” The contempt in her voice was chilling. I looked at her in surprise. It was rare that she showed this kind of emotion. Once again, it was Wenecke who spoke. A slight tremor of emotion had entered her voice; if I had not known better, I would have thought her as angered as well.

“How? How did you know? You are one to talk, Atanais.” The queen leveled her stare as she answered.

 “I was the one who found the child, Wenecke of Stone Will, half dead and all she could utter was ‘The angels have come, but they are far too late’ before passing out for a solid week. The fact that a child of the human race could survive the Unforgiving Ranges is testament enough to your race’s stubbornness. If you are speaking of Kyra, you are far too late. She is one of us now. In fact, she's here now.” Silence enveloped the room for several minutes. No one moved as they soaked in her words. It was I who spoke

"What is he talking about?" Queen Atanias turned to look at me. The child he speaks of is you. In your past life, your name was Kyra. This is your father's second wife and was rumored to be your only childhood friend. I was lost and confused. I looked her dead in the eye.

Why are they here? Anger seeped into my mind a*s the waters of a hot spring, boiling and deadly. If the queen could have shrugged in that moment, I am sure she would have. It was rumored that even as a child your abilities were great. Seeing your skills first hand, I do not doubt the rumors. The queen to study the pair once more with a cold expression. If I am correct in my suspicion, they have not destroyed the Source and have come to drag you back into their war. Silence enveloped the room like a suffocating cloud. My anger grew. I refuse to be a pawn. Heen interrupted. There’s something else. Queen Atanias looked over to Heen in surprise. What do you mean? His gaze flickered from the woman and the angel to the Queen.  . Why wait until now to find the lost child? Why wait twelve years? If she was so precious to them, as she is to us, then they would have come far sooner. My anger flared higher and higher. I say we break them then search their minds. It would hold the answers we seek.

 “Shadow,” Queen Atanias’ voice carried a tone of panic alongside her warning. “That’s black magic. Do not let your hatred blind you.” I am disappointed you would even consider such. The mind is a dangerous place. Tamper with it, and you tamper with the very essence of who that person is. You of all people should know that.

The angel shifted his weight. He studied me. Panic and distress crept into his stoic expression. I snorted before standing up. Striding to the nearest shadow, I closed my eyes to envisioned the swaying branches of the elm in the palace grounds. Once I opened them, the Queen’s war chamber gave way to the calming scene of the palace grounds.



© 2015 The Raven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on July 19, 2015
Last Updated on July 19, 2015


Author

The Raven
The Raven

AZ



About
As an artist chooses their mediums, as will I. The page is my canvas and the combination of 26 letters and the right shade of punctuation is my paint. I want to make the world a little less dark and a.. more..

Writing
So It Begins So It Begins

A Chapter by The Raven


The Truth The Truth

A Chapter by The Raven