Journey through music: Part one: Music and Mystery

Journey through music: Part one: Music and Mystery

A Chapter by Kena Dawn Augustine
"

Music flows in our souls when we realize our potential; and not let others stunt its growth

"

Introduction

 

     The rhythmic sound of a melody had always been a ribbon of light weaving through her soul. Each beat, each chord, produced a sensation in her heart that nothing else could surpass.

     Music was her love; her devotion; her baby. She nurtured and developed each harmony into her own.

     It started out so pure, at 10 months old humming the "Sesame Street" tune, at three year's old singing, "Tomorrow" from Annie in the living room to all her relatives, participating in numerous choirs and solo ensembles and contests. However, since 2006 nothing had been the same. One man changed her outlook on music for years, until she realized that on one else could make her music but herself. But all in all, some of these men used her kindness as their ammunition to shoot her down in the name of ambition. Her trust and naivety they used against her, and for a moment she lost what was so precious to her; her music.

    But eventually she gained it back, saw it grow, blossom, and then she set it off into the world, where their open arms embraced her creations.

    This is one woman's short story, of her journey into the world of music...

 

 

Part one:  Music and mystery

 

     A wave of creative energy had run through her the morning of Regina Martin's 25th birthday. Her pencil glided across the pages as smooth and effortless as the sounds that flowed from her cherry lips. The honey-coated melodies reflected her struggles, her pain, but most importantly, her love and appreciation for the calm that came after the storm.

    Her pensive state whirled her back into the memories the past year, and the first time she met him.

 

 

     It was a beautiful spring day in May when she attended a local Seattle classic R&B blues festival by the waterfront. The sky was a clear blue, not a common sight in the rainy city, but springtime had arrived. Seagulls graced the calm skies, in enjoyment to the music that filled her ears. She looked ahead of her through the crowd, relaxing to four exuberant, thirty-something men singing a cover of a classic Smoky Robinson song. After they finished the crowd erupted in applause, and then they continued with "Ribbon in the sky" by Stevie Wonder.

    That is how the music felt to her; like a ribbon weaving through her soul, she felt as free as the seagulls soaring against the Seattle skyline. She closed her eyes, breathing in the salty ocean breeze. 

    Despite the beauty, however, she clutched her body tightly, realizing she was alone. As she melted into a fantasy where she and her lover were dancing across the ocean, her heart ached badly for someone. It had been so long since someone had looked into her eyes and really saw her. Her songs were unfulfilled wants and desires of that man to complete her. They covered her insecurities and loneliness.

    Then she saw him.

    He was a young man, about five foot eleven, with skin as deep brown as a delectable piece of chocolate. He was sipping on a Blue Hawaiian at the Tiki bar about ten feet away. His eyes scanned her up and down, and she nervously looked away. But it wasn't for long, she had to look at him again, for it was rare a man noticed her. He was about six foot, wore a white starter ball cap on his head, a blue FUBU tee-shirt, and baggy dark denim jeans.

     He locked eyes with hers. They were so dark they were almost black, and in them they appeared to reflect sadness. Yet it was washed away with a sparkle of flirtatiousness.

     Regina felt blood rush to her face, Oh no, I hope he doesn't see me blush, she thought as he began to approach her. He walked with a swagger, a bad boy appeal, which made her weak in the knees at the sight.

     "Hey, I'm sorry to approach you, but you look really familiar. Do we know each other from somewhere?"

     Nice pick up line, she thought. I am surprised he didn't ask me if I fell down from heaven.

     "No, I don't think so." Regina glanced around her at the crowd-goers, avoiding his eyes. 

     "Oh, I'm Jamone." He offered her his hand, and she shook it coyly.

     "I'm Regina."

      His voice was thick and masculine, and yet, held a hint of kindness she found very appealing. He also had a bit of a street vibe, with his voice and demeanor.

     "Can I buy you a drink?" He asked as he pulled his white ball cap lower down his forehead. 

     "Yes, a cosmo?" She followed him to the bar, catching a look at his backside, a small coy smile playing on her lips, caught up in the moment, a rush of excitement filling her veins.

     As he passed the bartender a ten dollar bill, he sat down on the bar stool, turning towards her. "So Regina, why ya here alone?"

     Regina glanced around her at all the smiling people sipping on alcohol concoctions, soaking in sounds of a crowd-pleasing Temptations cover. However, she felt sucked into Jamone's presence. Nothing else mattered.

     "Um, none of my friends could make it out."

     "You would think they could make it out here with a girl as stunning as you."

     Regina blushed. She glanced at her reflection in the mirror across from her at the bar, surrounded by bottles of Grenadine and Black Velvet.           Her caramel complexion was a result of her African and Caucasian roots. Her hair was silky, long and black. Her eyes were a sparkling hazel. Her body, an hourglass silhouette. She was told by many she was beautiful and sexy, however, she couldn't see what others saw.

     She looked back at him with more confidence. "So, what do you do?" A surge of interest filled her up.

     "Ya know, I spit rhymes," he said with a tad bit of arrogance. "Me and my boy are thinking about starting up our own record label, but we don't have our own studio yet. We got some cats from the East Coast who we might collaborate with and perform some shows in cities such as Atlanta, Chicago, you know."   

     He raised his eyebrows, and nodded his head, as if a wave of pride rushed over him. A tad bit cocky, she thought.

     However, she replied with, "Yeah, I sing a little. I did some backup vocals for a producer named Shyman. Do you know him?"

     "No I don't recall," he replied. He pulled a cigarette out from his pocket, put it in his mouth. "Hey, you don't mind if I smoke do you?" he asked in a muffled tone.

     "That's fine," she said.

     After he lit up his cigarette with his lighter decorated with flames, and took a puff, he said, 
    "So yeah, me and my boy have been looking for a female singer. Ya know, to do hooks. My boy from Atlanta is the s**t. He can spit rhymes that make the East coasters fall down like dominoes."

    When he briefly looked away at the performers on stage, she rolled her eyes. Wow, he's bold, ain't he?

     "Hey, I'm sorry Jamone, but I got to go the bathroom." She stood up from her barstool, afraid to engage in any more conversation, at the fear of growing any more interest in this stranger who captured her attention more than the wonderful soulful voices that drifted from the stage.

     "Nice meeting you though," she said as she began to walk away.

     Jamone put out his cigarette in the ash tray, and began to rush towards her. "Hey, hey, trying to get rid of me that quickly...did I do something wrong?"

    Regina couldn't fight that persisting interest, mesmerized by his dark brown eyes. His warm brown skin was so soft it almost glowed. He was fit and muscular, and she wanted to run her hands up and down his chest.  Aaaah! You can't think this way...she thought to herself. She could sense he felt her vibe towards him, as he drew slightly closer to her.

     "So, can I get your number? We may give you a call, to do backup."

    She fumbled for her pen and paper in her purse, berating herself in her mind. You can't do this. He's a total stranger. What if he...is a killer? stalker? you know?

    She then decided to leave it at her email address.  "Well, nice meeting you Jamone." When he took the paper, his broad hands softly brushed hers, sending a sudden tingle through her body.

    As she walked away, she could almost feel his dark eyes scanning her every move, and it made her feel slightly uncomfortable, yet at the same time, more alive than she had felt in a long time.

    The music and crowd barely drifted through her senses as the mysteries of Jamone seemed to take a hold of her. She wanted to know more...

 

 

 

 



© 2014 Kena Dawn Augustine


Author's Note

Kena Dawn Augustine
Written in 2007, revised again 2014

this is a story i wrote last july4, and was a catharsis for me, had beena long time since I wrote, got me out of some writer's block. i revised it a lot before i put out a final copy. this based on true events....hee hee. like a movie.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Woah, this is a winner. I love it. So exciting and suspenseful!
And, *cough, cough*, I see you've used a lot of the "Portal to my Heart" allusions, haven't you? Smart.

Let's begin with the comments!
I hate being a technicality reviewer who points our spelling and/or grammar mistakes (what a pain in the a*s--ticks me off, too!) but I couldn't help noticing a few spelling mistakes which could be fixed with ease.
"Blue Hawaiin" should probably be Blue Hawaiian. "He locked eyes with her's" it should be "hers," "Prescence" should be "presence", and, umm, I think that's it!

I started with the negative side so I could take my time with the positive side:)
I read your biography and so I had a stronger background about where this is coming from. I see how deep music is for you, how intensely you connect with it, and that, in itself, is beautiful. So I was able to understand where this is coming from, where Regina's passion stems from. And I think it's so lovely, art is the language of the soul, and I adore your passion for music, and Regina's, as well!
So, what a clever and passionate catharsis this is.

One of my favorite expressions was: "she realized that many artists attempted to use her kindess as their ammunition to shoot her down in the name of ambition." This is so true, depicting the harsh world and how it can use and abuse us.
I also loved the way you made music into a ribbon weaving through her soul. Lovely.

Besides that, I think the story is of great quality. I can't wait too see what happens, I'll be reading part 2 shortly!

This would make a great movie.

Thanks for sharing.




Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

nice way of a story of like the wave of a ambient of music atmos. with the fact this lady got into a music she was mysterious of (music and mystery) and grew fond of being with the Jamon group.
Reminds me, got to go play with ma band and smile at this way of knowing a true hope of going to be successful (with or without a band;), idk, i will prove that im not going for the fame, for the music is*)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Incredibly well written! It flowed nicely and was so eloquent. More over, it was very descriptive, which I liked. I like to play stories in my head as I read, I don't know why, but I envisioned it with a Sin City type theme. You know, mostly black and white with some color? :]

Can't wait to read more!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great start, I reall y felt part of what was g oing on, which means y ou've written very realistically.. this is partly t o do with the quality c onversation y ou've written.

It's a bonus to know it s based on truth. L ooking foward t o the next chapter.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well written.

It works out well as a TV show actually, a middle scene to something interesting.

The poetic works on the intro works out well.

You also have the whole slang used well. Makes this piece very good.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Woah, this is a winner. I love it. So exciting and suspenseful!
And, *cough, cough*, I see you've used a lot of the "Portal to my Heart" allusions, haven't you? Smart.

Let's begin with the comments!
I hate being a technicality reviewer who points our spelling and/or grammar mistakes (what a pain in the a*s--ticks me off, too!) but I couldn't help noticing a few spelling mistakes which could be fixed with ease.
"Blue Hawaiin" should probably be Blue Hawaiian. "He locked eyes with her's" it should be "hers," "Prescence" should be "presence", and, umm, I think that's it!

I started with the negative side so I could take my time with the positive side:)
I read your biography and so I had a stronger background about where this is coming from. I see how deep music is for you, how intensely you connect with it, and that, in itself, is beautiful. So I was able to understand where this is coming from, where Regina's passion stems from. And I think it's so lovely, art is the language of the soul, and I adore your passion for music, and Regina's, as well!
So, what a clever and passionate catharsis this is.

One of my favorite expressions was: "she realized that many artists attempted to use her kindess as their ammunition to shoot her down in the name of ambition." This is so true, depicting the harsh world and how it can use and abuse us.
I also loved the way you made music into a ribbon weaving through her soul. Lovely.

Besides that, I think the story is of great quality. I can't wait too see what happens, I'll be reading part 2 shortly!

This would make a great movie.

Thanks for sharing.




Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

PLEASE READ PART 2 IT KEEPS GOING ON BUT EACH PART IS SHORT.

Posted 15 Years Ago


this is jus like a movie!! excellent.. u should think bout writin a book.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i really like it but i really wish that there was more...is this a work in progress?
because i can totally relate to Regina in her insecurities but i think you might need a little more subtleness in how you bring out her qualities or her looks...
But that is my personal taste...otherwise...i love it!

KEEP ON TRUCKIN'
RISA JEAN

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

it is moving...i mean the images are beautifully described and has fell in places

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

once again i realy like it and it is worded just right


love always, justin

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

705 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 28, 2008
Last Updated on March 25, 2014


Author

Kena Dawn Augustine
Kena Dawn Augustine

Seattle, WA



About
Writing is my catharsis, my way to bridle my emotions. I am an intense person and being an artist, I see life through a different set of lenses, and many can not comprehend my view on life. Kena me.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Marking me Marking me

A Poem by Pj