The studio

The studio

A Chapter by Kena Dawn Augustine

Part two

 

    A week had passed, and she had not yet heard from Jamone. Either about the backup vocals or a date, which she somewhat hoped for.

    He never liked me, just wanted to flirt, she thought glumly.

    However, that Saturday afternoon when she checked her emails, she found one labeled: Backup vocals. When she opened it up it spoke of meeting him and his group at a small studio. He provided the address and his phone number. She called him and made arrangements to meet them the next day. She was hesitant, at first, to meet at a location she had never been before. But she did it anyway, hoping for the best.

          The studio was set up in the living room of his friend Devon’s apartment. They had a well-known audio-engineer in the area, Rock Jones, who produced their music. Nerves wouldn’t stop messing with her, for she knew Jamone's friend, Devon, and his people's, as they called them, were very skilled, and Devon was featured on many cd's on the East Coast. Their level of expectation exceeded Shyman, her old producer, whose idea of "good" was her singing a three-line melody against a second-rate beat with unfinished rhymes.

          Butterflies fluttered in her stomach, and she noticed her hands were clammy. However, her body felt at ease when she set her eyes on Jamone. He wore a bright smile and a red Adidas outfit, and with the absence of a ball cap, she realized he had a nice clean-shaven bald head, having a weakness for bald men before. She told herself to focus.

    Devon, his boy, was also attractive, with lighter caramel-complexion skin and a charismatic smile. He wore a ball cap, baggy jeans cut off at the ends, and an oversized tee-shirt that said: Chicago in big bold letters. Devon was energetic and loud, while Jamone appeared more relaxed and laid back. Devon puffed on a joint, and Regina coughed, yet he seemed oblivious to her discomfort.

     They handed Regina the microphone, looking to her like a weapon ready to fire at her if she sang the wrong note. Calm down Regina, she told herself.

     They wanted her to adlib, try her best, and not stress. The beginning of the beat began. It was a really hypnotic sound, one that Jamone had constructed. She looked over at him. He had an expression of apprehension, as if he doubted her abilities. You are just being paranoid Regina. If he didn't like you he wouldn't have invited you.

    She didn't allow her worried mind to get the best of her. She sang her heart out, adlibbing the whole time. She melodically harmonized, providing a nice backdrop to the lyrics Devon spit which involved pain of growing up in the hood, surviving through bullet wounds, but were mended through his passion for rhymes and rap icons, and his mother's love struggling to raise three boys on her own.

     With her last verse Regina sang:

    "I want to escape, I want to be free, I want to find that person who is me...struggling every nite, to find a peace of mind, this hope to a better day is what I will find..."

    After the last bar was over, she could almost feel their heavy eyes upon her, as if a judgment sat in the distance. It was so quiet in the studio you could hear a pin drop. At first she was worried, but then reassuring words escaped Devon's lips, easing her nerves.

    "I like that. That's the s**t!"

    Which, in these street boys language, meant she was awesome.

    A smile appeared on Jamone's face, and his apprehension had dissipated into thin air.

    After they were finished, Regina walked to her car, feeling warm and fuzzy and happy inside. As she was about to open her car door she heard Jamone's voice from behind her. She turned around as he said, "That was good. Real good. I'm glad you could do it. Trying to impress my boy is a big task. He doesn't like just any singer."

    Their eyes locked for a brief second, and similar to the day they met at the concert, these knawing and persistent feelings bubbled inside of her. There was a connection between them, and she didn't feel that for just anyone.

    Fear flashed through her, however, for she didn’t trust many men, and she brusquely told Jamone thank you, and hopped in her car, waving to him as she turned her wheel. She drove out of the parking lot, glancing at Jamone from the rearview mirror as he walked away with that swagger that imprinted on Regina's mind...

 



© 2014 Kena Dawn Augustine


Author's Note

Kena Dawn Augustine
Look for part 3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The description of his eyes immediately intrigues me. There is something about beautiful eyes that takes my heart. You must love the beauty of eyes as well. : )

The part of this story that really catches my attention is your combination of finding possible romance through music. How inspiring. You have talent!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Your character, Regina, is very talented. Art imitating life? ;)

I had a question, early on you introduce Devon as "his boy" does that mean his son or his homie? Haha, I'm not good at street lingo. :)

I'm not usually into umm.. is it okay if I say "urban" stories? But in spite of that, actually this was a little shorter than I would've liked since it was so well written but I understand that you were probably going to quality over quantity. Your knowledge of English syntax is very good (Have I said this before? Because if I haven't, I'm telling you now.)

Thank you for the great read!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I really like this It m oves on into an o ther realm , you feel that s ome thing's going to happen, mayb e it's R egina 's fears. . Like the way it fl ows easily but the language is real, natural. Fine story. Good de scri pt ion of the r ecord ing studio.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so cute. I'm so happy for Regina!
It's amazing when we get over our fears. You know, I'm always caught up in decision-making situations (Actually, I'm caught in one right now!) where all it takes is a "yes" or "no." And sometimes, we just have to face our demons to transcend the phobia, otherwise we'll always live in the fears which haunt us.
All it takes is a push. We have to push ourselves. And the rest happens like magic. Glad that Regina saw that. And look at the wonders that brought!
Hey, I just answered some of my own burning questions. Haha! This little story triggred something in me.
Can't wait to read part 3!
Love,

O

Posted 15 Years Ago


i love how you find romance in music.


you are good

love always from justin

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The description of his eyes immediately intrigues me. There is something about beautiful eyes that takes my heart. You must love the beauty of eyes as well. : )

The part of this story that really catches my attention is your combination of finding possible romance through music. How inspiring. You have talent!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very good again! I have no time - see ya after part 3 ...

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

295 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 28, 2008
Last Updated on March 25, 2014


Author

Kena Dawn Augustine
Kena Dawn Augustine

Seattle, WA



About
Writing is my catharsis, my way to bridle my emotions. I am an intense person and being an artist, I see life through a different set of lenses, and many can not comprehend my view on life. Kena me.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Home Home

A Poem by Tate Morgan