Under the Sea - Prologue

Under the Sea - Prologue

A Chapter by K.N. Thorn

Poseidon watched her walk the shore line. She would pause every few feet to examine the shells she came across. He saw her select only the very best, like she was looking for the perfect ones to make a necklace or bracelet.

"I must have her Star, I have watched her everyday on her morning strolls, tempting me. So close to the border of our two worlds," Poseidon looked after her longingly. 
"Do you know every night before she sleeps she walks out on the balcony and sings the most enchanting songs. She mesmerizes me Star, from her auburn hair and golden skin to her pouting rosy lips and green eyes that remind me of our home."
    
"Sire, can I be so bold as to suggest you persuade the lady?"
    
"How could I approach her, surely she would run away in fright for I am not a man."
    
"Why Sire, surely you can charm her," chimed Star. "You have all the power of the seas and more at your disposal. Why not simply influence her to come to you?"
    
"It's not natural! Why would I do that to a being I desired? It would change everything that it is or could be, she is no mere conquest!" He hissed, "I am much wiser than that Star, but it says a lot about you my dear."
    
Poseidon became rigid after the last exchange with his lowly servant and didn't wish to hear anymore. All he could do was glare for a moment. He couldn't allow this to divert his attention, the lady on the shore was so beautiful to him, she haunted his dreams. Her voice would echo in the still of his mind when he wasn't near her. He would wait and one day soon things will be in his favor. He watched her awhile longer as she found herself a rocky bench to sit upon, looking out at the horizon where the sun was now nearly out of its sea bed to warm the Earth and its chilled waters.
    
"Come Star," he said quietly, " I have lots of work to do today and it can't wait on me any longer."
    
"As you wish sire, is there anything we need to do before we get back to the palace?"
    
"Yes actually," Poseidon handed a list to Star, " I need these things before tonight. "You will bring them to me once you have acquired them all."
    
"Yes Sire," Star glanced at the list quickly then rolled it up for safe keeping, "is there anything else Sire, before I take my leave?"
    
"Yes, do not disappoint me Star. It is very important I have everything tonight," Poseidon turned to leave but stopped midway, "if you don't have everything, don't come back..."
    
Star couldn't believe the words that crossed his lips, "Sire you can't be serious, where will I go, I have no other home. I have been loyal to the family since before the palace was built," she pleaded.
    
"It doesn't matter as long as you get my supplies," he stated and swam away without another word. Star was still in shock as the rippling waves he caused to lap against the craggy rock stilled and she was left with nothing but her thoughts.
    
Star was indeed beautiful her hair was sea green and flowed around her as she descended into the water, her steel gray eyes adjusting to the murk. She slithered through the water blinking back angry tears. Who does he think he is she grumbled to herself, she could just barely see him any longer and was glad of it. After all the years of unappreciated servitude, she gets her thanks by being told not to come home without his majesties supplies to acquire another lover. You would think Amphitrite would keep him busy but no, he has to have everything that passes through his vision. He is just like a child, even at his old age.


© 2014 K.N. Thorn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on September 23, 2014
Last Updated on October 15, 2014
Tags: Greek Mythology, fiction, fantasy, love, underwater, creatures


Author

K.N. Thorn
K.N. Thorn

Daphne, AL



About
I am an avid reader, writer, and gamer. I enjoy art, music, and nature; they are my points of inspiration. I have loved to read, write, draw, and dream ever since I was little. I like to write fantasy.. more..

Writing