Under the Sea - Chapter One - Impending Reign

Under the Sea - Chapter One - Impending Reign

A Chapter by K.N. Thorn

    Poseidon reached the palace and began the usual order of business. After doing the morning rounds he sought out his wife, Amphitrite, and their children, Triton, Rhode, and Benthesicyme. He found them finishing their breakfast in the alcove off of his wife's room chatting away about their plans for the day. Today was a very big day, the Imperial Ascension Ceremony for his son, Triton, was today and the whole palace was busy with the decorating and making preparations for the festival that would follow for the next few days.
    Before long Poseidon would be stepping down from the throne that he has occupied for the last millennia and give it over to his son Triton. He had been waiting for this day for the last century and he was relieved it was nearly time. Building and caring for his domain all these years had taken a lot out of Poseidon, he could feel that the weight of the years had done something to him. He didn’t feel youthful at all anymore, just tired and lonely.
    He gripped Triton's shoulder firmly, "Are you ready for the ceremony son?"
    "As much as I can be father. I've been rehearsing so much I’ve become hoarse,  I’m at the beck and call of anyone and everyone, and I haven't slept in almost a week. There has been so much to do! Thankfully, everything is nearly finished, only a few minor things are left." Triton sounded like he was ready to burst with excitement, but kept his cool demeanor in his fathers presence. "In fact I was just telling mother that I would see her again shortly, after I go check on a few things," Triton rose from his place with a smile and a nod to each of his parents.
    "I guess the next time I see you, you'll be taking your place on the throne," Poseidon smiled at Triton as he left. He was proud of his son, he knew his Empire was going into the hands of what will one day be known as a legend. Poseidon took a seat by his wife, "So my dear how are you today?" He leaned over and kissed her on the cheek, "Our son seems very happy, are you ready for the festivities?"
    "Poseidon, you know I hate to be in the public. They're so....drab and fishy," Amphitrite wrinkled her nose and folded her hands in her lap.
    Poseidon chuckled at his wife, "Why my dear is there something wrong with your breakfast?"
    She sneered and turned to her remaining children, "My loves, I will see you all later, it is time for you to go prepare yourselves for the Ceremony. I will call for you soon." Everyone left promptly leaving Amphitrite and Poseidon to themselves.
    "Is there a particular reason you have ushered our children out so quickly, have a displeased you my love?" He took her hand in his and kissed it gently, barely touching his lips to her smooth, milky skin that never seemed to age.
    “Of course not, I just needed a few moments alone with you before everything gets started.”
    “Well then, how can I be of service to you, my dear?”
    “It’s this whole ascension, do you really think Triton is really ready to take control of all this?” She stretched out her arms indicating the underwater world around them.
    “He may be the new Emperor, but I will always be the King under the sea. He doesn’t have all of the control that you think.” After his statement Poseidon left his wife on the balcony, he didn’t want to answer any more questions concerning his decision.  It was time for a new Emperor and Triton was more than fit for the task.
    The palace was in complete disarray but at the same time it was almost complete. All the streamers, bobbles, and sparkily things were up in any and every place you could hang something from. Everything was squeaky clean and polished until it gleamed making even the dullest objects shine again.
    The aromas from the kitchen made Poseidon’s mouth water so he took a detour to see how the feast was coming. The palace was enormous, with a total of two hundred rooms excluding the kitchens and dining room, the ball room, and the two Great rooms, it took some time for Poseidon to reach his destination but it did allow him to make sure everything else was to his satisfaction.
    When he did arrive to the kitchens he was confronted by three of the chefs each with an enticing little treat for him to try and see if they were adequate for the feast. The first of these was a coral cake, a brightly colored and slightly sweet goody, the next was a seaweed roast, a very savory piece of meat that was delicious with gravy, and lastly a strange pudding, it was very dark and almost muddy looking, but just one bite and Poseidon had found his favorite.
    “Very good, very good, all of these dishes are exceptional and I do hope  there will be plenty of this pudding!” As he was leaving the kitchens with his pudding Poseidon knocked into Star who had just arrived at the palace.
    “Watch it you big bloke!” Star looked up to find Poseidon standing above her, “Your Majesty please forgive me, I didn’t know that was you.”
    Poseidon looked down on Star, “Did you get everything?”
    “Why yes Sire, I wouldn’t have returned had I not.”


© 2014 K.N. Thorn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on September 23, 2014
Last Updated on October 15, 2014
Tags: Greek Mythology, fiction, fantasy, love, underwater, creatures


Author

K.N. Thorn
K.N. Thorn

Daphne, AL



About
I am an avid reader, writer, and gamer. I enjoy art, music, and nature; they are my points of inspiration. I have loved to read, write, draw, and dream ever since I was little. I like to write fantasy.. more..

Writing