A Quaint Little Retirement Community

A Quaint Little Retirement Community

A Story by Kyle
"

Sometimes there are special people that just exist for the benefit of others.

"

The following conversation took place a few years ago.  Vern is a 68 year old man who is considered to be a bit anti social, or even bitter.  Paul is a 25 year old man married man who is childless and wondering why Vern won’t attend neighborhood activities or be sociable at the town’s only restaurant.  Paul is fairly new to the area, whereas Vern has lived in the Pillager area for over 20 years.  Pillager is a small town which has many tourists in the summer months, but the locals tend to stick to other locals and avoid the many summer visitors.

 

(Paul approaches Vern and sits down next to him at Monroe’s, the town’s restaurant.)

 

Paul:  Hey Vern!   How are things?  How are you doing?

 

Vern:  Fine.  Hi Paul.

 

(An uncomfortable silence ensues.  Paul knows Vern, but Vern is a bit surprised that his morning peace has now been disrupted by an inquisitive visitor.)

 

Paul:  Can I ask you a question Vern?  If you don't mind.

 

(More silence….)

 

Vern;  I guess so.

 

 

Paul:  Why don’t we see you around town?   I’ve noticed you don’t come to the community center, and when I see you in town you seem quiet.  I know you have lived here for a long time and I was just wondering if my wife and I can invite you and June over for dinner or something.  We are trying to get to know people here.

 

Vern:  Why?

 

 

Paul:  Hey, i’m just being friendly.

 

 

(Vern laughs a bit.)

 

 

Vern: I know.

 

 

Paul:  So…..would you two like to come over sometime for dinner?

 

 

Vern:  Possible

 

 

Paul:  Is there a reason as to why you are not wanting to?  Don’t you think my wife can cook?

 

 

(Paul laughs nervously)

 

 

Vern:  I have nothing against you or your wife.  It’s just that too many people in this town have pissed me off over the years.  They have stuck their noses in my business and it hasn’t been good.

 

 

Paul:  I have not intention of doing that Vern.  Its just that I like you and your wife and I was hoping to get to know you guys better.  Some have told me not to bother, but I don’t like that you and your wife seem disconnected somehow from other people.  This is a great town and there are good people here.  I wouldn’t want to be alone like that.

 

 

Vern: I’ll think about your offer Paul

 

 

Paul:  That’s all I can ask.  Thanks buddy.

 

 

(Vern has become resentful over past slights and has become very inside himself.  This greatly bothers his wife who as a result has become lonely and now suffers from depression.  There is nothing that Vern and June want more than to have good friends and to better enjoy there retirement years but past disappointments have robbed them of this happiness.  Paul is trying to change this out of his own learned compassion and kindness.)

 

To be continued……

© 2011 Kyle


Author's Note

Kyle
Well? Let me know. There are going to be reasons as to why Vern is the way he is....and why Paul is the way he is. But that won't become apparent until later.

Kindness sometimes does not come with a price or hidden motives.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i enjoyed the structure and character building; the contrast of perceptions and individuality amongst the personalities...

i like how the author wants to show the inner workings and external influenes between the two generational views; it shows how we all carry residue of our past and the pain may be causing the present a wall blocking compassion


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is really interesting. It has a lot of the way true people act and already in this first bit you're weaving a story and collecting the people into people. They make sense. Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Paul sounds like a very kind man. How come you never continued this story? It has good characters, and has a good story that made me curious what would happen.


Posted 12 Years Ago


I really like your writing style, how connected to real life it is, but still very interesting. Poor Vern and June.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great plot and can't wait to read more!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is great! It's well written and explores the depths or different people's personalities and experiences. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved this! I really hope you stick with it.


Posted 12 Years Ago


yeah!!! i wanted to read what happens i really like this story to end with happy vern and sociable!! great write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was a realistic portrayal of a conversation. I like your characters; they seem like genuine, real people. I think the main thing with this is that people's everyday lives are usually not very interesting. I enjoyed this, but if you continue, there will have to be a compelling plot that keeps the reader going.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think you should continue with this piece, Kyle. Few people write about such flaws in life, nor the kindness that it takes to undo what others have done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i enjoyed the structure and character building; the contrast of perceptions and individuality amongst the personalities...

i like how the author wants to show the inner workings and external influenes between the two generational views; it shows how we all carry residue of our past and the pain may be causing the present a wall blocking compassion


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

844 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 25, 2011
Last Updated on May 26, 2011

Author

Kyle
Kyle

MN



About
I need to focus on my writing more. I tend to write something decent, and then lose interest. My goal is to finish some of the things that I have started and post them soon. Thanks for dropping.. more..

Writing
Lost! Lost!

A Story by Kyle


Our First Kiss Our First Kiss

A Story by Kyle



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Prophecy The Prophecy

A Chapter by Vanessa Rico