Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Jules

Chapter 2

 

Ellis slouched in one of the comfortable armchairs in Frank’s office, a glass of whisky in his hand. Frank watched his old friend swill the strong liquor around his mouth and savour the taste as he swallowed. He looked tired as if he hadn’t been sleeping again and his eyes were rimmed a delicate pink, deep lines furrowing his brow. Frank could tell he was in bad shape and he needed to get Ellis to stop drinking and face life, the past was not as bad as he thought and the future was always better. The future made Frank smile warmly as he thought of his lovely wife of a year and the child she was due to have any day now.

“What’s so nice that you are smiling like an idiot?” Ellis asked him seriously, watching Frank with a twinge of jealousy.

“Love my friend, love. Now put that glass down and come riding with me. Juliana is out of action now till the baby comes and I hate to ride alone. And perhaps the fresh air will sober you up and make you sleep. You look like you need it.”

“Thanks,” Ellis growled sarcastically. He knew Frank was right though.

The ride had exhausted Ellis. He didn’t even pick up a drink when he got home he just toppled into bed, fully clothed and slept like a log till the next evening;  a full day and a half.

~

Ellis sat down in the darkened gaming room, feeling full of energy and curiosity. He was going to drill his acquaintances tonight to see who this mysterious, almost as mysterious as him, Madeline East was. The cards were dealt and to start with Ellis concentrated on his hand before joining in the disjointed conversation.

“Do any of you know Madeline East?” he asked directly. The table went silent and they all stared at him.

“Madeline East? No I have never heard of her.” One of them spoke up after a moment thought and then turned back to his hand. A few more shook their heads in agreement. But Ellis’s gaze at the table was captured by a man a few seats to the left who stared at him in utter horror.

“Maddie?” he managed to stutter, looking deathly white.

“You appear to know her better then I do sir,” Ellis told the man, looking on at him with interest. He was quite a few years younger than him around five and twenty years or maybe younger and looked very scared of Ellis. Ellis chuckled quietly to himself and put his hand down, standing up, his chair grating on the dark wood flooring. The young man seemed to shrink down in his chair, while all 6”3 of Ellis towered over the table of seated men. “Perhaps we should continue this conversation some where private.” He told the young man in a voice quite kindly for Ellis, but still with his usual steely edge, knowing that the rest of the table were watching them in blatant nosiness. The young man froze when Ellis placed a heavy hand on his shoulder and dragged his chair back for him. Meekly he followed Ellis into a private sitting room of the men’s club and took the drink Ellis handed him gratefully, taking a fortifying gulp.

 Sitting in one of the leather arm chairs and propping his feet on a stool, glass in hand, Ellis inspected the young man in better light. He was little more than a boy still Ellis realised taking in his youthful face unmarred by the lines of life. His dark black hair was swept into the latest mode and his clothes were fashionable but not overly so, nor overly expensive but still well made. In the brighter light of gas lights and fire, he looked even paler and worried but his eyes stared back at Ellis’s own cool blue ones defiantly. They were purple.

“Mr East I assume?” Ellis asked him. The boy’s look of fear and determination turned into one of pure surprise.

“Yes,” he stuttered, “How did you know?”

“Sit down boy I am not going to pounce on you, so you need not worry yet…” Ellis ordered him, gesturing firmly at the armchair opposite his. “You have Miss East’s unusual eyes. I deducted that they must run in the family.”

“You’re right, my mother’s side of the family. Why were you asking after my sister sir? How do you know her?”

“She intrigued me sir and we met at a party a few nights ago, she wasn’t scared of me and that gained my respect but do not tell her so!” he told William East sternly.

“Of course not Lord Dexter, William East at your service. You have my full discretion so long as you mean no harm towards my sister.”

“Harm? Why would I harm her? I simply wish to learn more about her.” Ellis said in a seemingly open manner. William looked at him doubtingly but did not question him, not saying anything at all for a while. Ellis could tell this young man was still green and inexperienced but from his careful answers he could derive he was sensible and thoughtful to the needs of others.

“What would you like to know?” he asked slowly and slightly unsurely. Ellis smiled slightly wolfishly at him, he was getting somewhere, but William didn’t notice it.

“The basics, her age, likes, dislikes, friends, hobbies, family other than yourself of course, your social standing to be completely frank.” It all sounded so basic and innocent when he said it aloud Ellis realised rather than like he was spying on her like he had thought it might.

“The basics? Well ok then,” he agreed rather reluctantly, “Maddie, few people call her Madeline, is my elder sister by four years, she is seven and twenty years and I am three and twenty years respectively. We have no other family.” This short simple statement intrigued Ellis but William did not elaborate and Ellis did not push for more information he had other ways he could find that information out. William continued after a moments pause. “She likes to read and garden and sew I suppose, she made me these!” he exclaimed after a moments thought. Ellis frowned slightly. She made clothes why? “She has made quite a few friends through our god mother who takes us to all sort of balls and functions and things. They think she gives good advice and she does. She does not enjoy balls and things though she will attend if she must. What else?” he furrowed his brow as he thought harder about his answer, but Ellis didn’t care what else he had to say, he had heard enough.

“Thank you William that is enough.” Ellis interrupted him and flashed a false smile of gratitude. He did not smile readily but felt that William deserved one whether it was real or not. “I would be grateful if you did not mention this to your sister.” He asked firmly. William stared at him startled.

“Well I suppose not but why…” William never got a chance to finish his question as Ellis stood and left with out a word. William stared after him confused. That was the most surreal experience. He had just had, in effect, a private meeting with the infamous Lord Ellis Dexter. He looked as he had been described to him before, like an angel or a statue carved by a master artist, with golden blonde hair and icy deep sea blue eyes. His mouth was stern and his eyes cold but not unfeeling. His sister had taught him a lot about reading people but it was almost impossible to read Ellis Dexter except for he had dark secrets he liked to keep close to his chest. But no one knew what his secrets were and William was certain no one would ever know unless Ellis himself told them. Well all in all William found him rather suspicious and would be very careful not let him hurt his sister.



© 2009 Jules


Author's Note

Jules
enjoy sorry i didnt post it sooner as i have written it a while ago :S

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

its really getting interesting im so in love with this story

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a wonderful read! I really enjoyed it! Wonderful imagery! Beautiful details and descriptions! Very realistic! :D

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 24, 2009


Author

Jules
Jules

wouldn't you like to know!



About
Hi I'm Jules! i am 19 and have writen seriously since about senior school. i will read literally anything although not erotica and i'm not big on poetry :S i love romance stories and am a sucker f.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jules


Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by Jules


Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Jules