Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Jules

Authors Note- hey all its Jules :D I would like to say thank you to celtic girl for reviewing and to Priscilla shay for offering to be my beta :D and just so understand what’s going on anything written in this font- abcdefghij- instead of �"abcdefjhij- is a dream/flashback or marked by a star (in case the font doesnt show lol). And to clear up another thing you might not understand Ellis and Scott are private detectives in case you are wondering. Thanks all Jules x

 

Chapter 6

 

William East stood in the shadows of the empty corridor upstairs in Lady Fairfield’s house, using his dark cloak and mask to his advantage to hide. He strained to hear the words of his sister and the unknown man on the balcony over the ballrooms music. Shifting through the shadows nearer to the archway, he lent back into an alcove with suit of amour and listened harder to the soft voices.

“I wanted to see you again.” His sister’s quiet voice drifted out to him. So she had seen her companion before he concluded, straining to hear the man's reply. There was silence for a while and the slight rustling of skirts before he heard a low chilling voice.

“Did you want more lessons?” Lessons? William tried to muse the man’s meaning but had no idea what was being talked about. Then his brain identified the cool, emotionless voice. Lord Ellis Dexter. William froze in fear. Lord Dexter was not someone to trifle with. His mind whirred with ideas. Could this work to his advantage? He relaxed when he realised it could.

There was silence on the balcony and William really wanted to know what was happening. Did he dare go and look around the curtain? Edging out of the alcove, he twitched the curtain to one side and peered around it cautiously. Dexter was kissing his sister. This got better and better. He dropped the curtain back into place and trotted away, light on his feet, careful not to make a sound.

~

Ellis scowled at the swishing curtain. Why did things never go in a straight forward manner when he was with Madeline East? Then he redirected his anger about being abandoned, rather then doing the abandoning he thought guiltily and directed it at the evil b*****d who had hit his Madeline. His Madeline. Yes he mused sitting down on the chaise lounge, she was his and he would make sure of it in every sense of the word. His. But what if… he shoved the negative thoughts aside until he could think them over in private. Now he just wanted to go home to scheme and consult and simply mull the idea over.

~

Scott sat in Ellis’s silent study and wondered what his friend and colleague wanted this time. Business between them had been slow recently and Ellis had already had his favour for the month. The study door slammed open and Ellis stalked in, rubbing red eyes and shoving his loose wavy blonde hair out of his eyes cursing its length. His shirt was loose and open to reveal an impressively built chest Scott wished he had even a close equivalent off. Ellis plonked himself down behind his desk ignoring his visitor completely and searched the top drawer for a leather strip to tie his hair back in its small customary pony tail. With a growl of frustration he eventually found one and tied his hair back efficiently, rubbing a hand over his face again.

“Ellis? What did you need from me?” Scott asked in what he hoped was a business like manner, rather than the frustrated, impatient and frankly nosy way he was feeling. Ellis looked up at him through surprised red eyes before he managed to force his icy cold veneer over his feelings.

“We have a new customer,” he started unenthusiastically and unwilling to get to the real reason he had called Scott there. Scott waited for him to elaborate, strumming his fingers impatiently on the arm of his chair. Ellis glowered at him before elaborating in the most minimal way he could.

“I have assigned men to it already. I’ll tell you about the actual case later.” He fell into silence again. It was Scott’s turn to glower.

“Please tell me that it’s it.” He snapped, “I’m sure even you wouldn’t have sent me a message at three o’clock in the morning just for that. It’s urgent, the runner told me, reply as soon as possible he said. ‘I need you to a job’. That was all it said on the piece of paper but still I turn up at half past eight to see you and are you awake waiting for me? No! I had to wait forty five minutes and you are beating around the bush and won’t tell me what is going on. Just spit it out Dexter!”

“Who rubbed you up the wrong way?” Ellis snarled back, both men’s patience and temper frayed.

“You! If I was a woman I’d slap you and if I wasn’t your colleague and friend, although I’m reconsidering it at the moment, I’d punch you!” Scott was stood now, green eyes blazing. “Now tell me everything.”

Ellis huffed, he wanted to retaliate but if he did there was no way Scott would help him. Besides he was sure there was more then just him irritating Scott at the moment; he would find out what when he had a spare moment and less to think about. He closed his eyes wishing he had had more sleep the night before and lent back in his chair. He forced himself to speak.

“I saw Madeline East again last night. At Lady Fairfield’s masquerade ball.” He paused debating how to explain their following circumstances. He decided to simply not. “I removed her mask and discovered someone had beaten her. She had a blinder of a black eye. She told me it was the wardrobe but I do not believe her in the slightest and she fled before I could question her further. I believe it was someone close to her; her brother most likely after what you told me about their father. Or perhaps a beau but I think it most unlikely. Once I have certain evidence I will stop him and protect her.” Ellis opened his eyes again cautiously looking directly at Scott for his reaction at this honest confession. He looked almost relieved.

“So you wish me to follow William East then to help you protect your new mistress.” Scott asked satisfied with this explanation- it explained why Ellis had been being a cranky protective b*****d. He could be an unusual and frustrating friend but he was nothing but loyal especially towards people, things or mistresses he valued- usually in that order.

“She’s not my mistress.” He stated coldly. Scott’s eyes widened in surprise.

“Are you saying lust is not involved in this endeavour?”

“No it is just a factor.” He refused to say more. “Will you help me?”

Scott had never heard Ellis actually ask for help before he usually just told you, you were doing something for him. The last of his bad temper evaporated as he realised the sincerity and seriousness of what his friend was asking. He nodded.

“Thank you,” Ellis said softly. “Do not worry about the other case it is being dealt with and I am sorry for disturbing you so early.”

Scott ignored the rare apology, knowing if he made a big deal of it Ellis would rescind it as suddenly as he had given it.

“I’ll start straight away.” And he left silently. Ellis closed his eyes again. Finding and making something so precious his was definitely not easy. And what if he destroyed it like everything else? A frown creased his brow as he drifted into a restless sleep, much like the odd snippets of sleep he had received the night before.

 

*Sunlight streamed through the tall windows catching on the particles of dust hanging in the air and making them sparkle. He laughed as he chased his brother down the stairs, enjoying his annoyed squeals of protest.

“Ellis! Ellis stop! I don’t want to play. Besides we are meant to be studying.”

“Oh Emery don’t be such a bore! Fine if we can’t play soldiers then let’s go to the library and find some of father’s cigars.”

“Ellis no, you’ll get in trouble!”

“Spoil sport!” he ran off down the darker corridor leaving his pouting little brother behind. He stopped cautiously at the door way and looked for their father. The library was empty. He must be in his study. He shimmed through the slight gap in the doors and raced to the deserted desk. Yanking the top drawer open he pulled out one of the precious cigars excitedly. He would look a real man smoking one of these he decided, as ever the self important twelve year old. He lit it in the glowing embers of the fireplace and took an experimental puff. Ellis’s pale skin turned a decidedly green tinge and he coked on the putrid smoke. The cigar fell out of his hand as he coughed and it rolled under the desk. Having stopped coughing and wiped his streaming eyes. He searched for it briefly but gave up and ran off to the stables for new entertainment.

The slight glow of flame at the end of the cigar brightened as it grew in intensity burning its way through the rug. Licking at the papers strewn on the desk. Blazing through the desk. Roaring hungrily at the bookcases. Tears streamed down Ellis’s face as a groomsman held him back from the blazing house. His father ran out streaked in soot, his little brother clutched in his arms. He lay him down on the grass, unconscious and ran back in. He didn’t come back out. No-one came back out as Ellis stared at the burning building numbly. Six servants died; five men and one woman. And much to Ellis’s horror both his parents and his baby sister. The cigar flashed through his mind again. Tears flowed more steadily. He had killed them all.*

 

The dream of the horrific memory faded into a searing wall of flames then Ellis re-awoke with a start, sweating profusely and tears running down his cheeks. He wiped them away angrily and strode out of the study and back to his room to finish dressing before he went shopping. He grimaced at the idea but he was determined to do this properly.

 



© 2010 Jules


Author's Note

Jules
enjoy and please review and let me know what you think love jules x

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh my god it won't stop getting better. The whole going back in time idea was a job very well done and i applaud you for the job well done. Trust me wen you write the next one i will be the first to read thats a fact.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 15, 2010
Last Updated on January 15, 2010


Author

Jules
Jules

wouldn't you like to know!



About
Hi I'm Jules! i am 19 and have writen seriously since about senior school. i will read literally anything although not erotica and i'm not big on poetry :S i love romance stories and am a sucker f.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jules


Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by Jules


Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Jules