Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Jules

Chapter 3

 

Madeline brushed the sleep from her eyes and stifled a yawn. She was determined to finish the chapter she was reading at the moment. The candle flickered having burnt dangerously low and she leant closer to use its last light. ‘Human Anatomy- An Illustrated Guide’ the gilt embossed title glinted slightly. She blushed in private embarrassment at what she read. A science book was not the best way to learn about, she couldn’t even think the vulgar word they used so often in the book but in her mind settled on the phrase marital coupling. It sounded so animalistic and Maddie wished, not for the first time, her mother was here to explain these things to her. But she wasn’t. She pushed the bitter thoughts from her mind and turned the page. The book slammed shut when she saw the diagrams drawn there and Maddie pushed it away from her disgusted. She cursed having ever met Ellis Dexter. If it were not for him she would not feel the need to understand such an intimate act, just so she knew what she was fending off she told herself. Little did she realise, despite her research in the book, that kissing was just the brink of it.

Placing the book on her side table and laying her pillows down, Maddie was just about to blow out her candle when some one knocked on her door softly.

“Maddie? Are you still awake?” William called through the door quietly. She was surprised by such a late night visit but did not hesitate to let him in.

“What’s wrong?” she asked in a whisper not wanting to wake their godmother just down the hall. He sat down on the edge of her bed with a sigh.

“I’m not sure Mads. I have just had the strangest most unreal experience at the men’s club.” He paused, a concerned look on his face. So that’s why he smelt of cigars and alcohol Madeline took the moment to reflect.

“I met Lord Ellis Dexter.” William stated suddenly. Maddie stared at him horrified, a deep pink blush gracing her cheeks as images of what she had just read flashed through her mind along with memories of him and their illicit kiss. She felt sure William must know what she was thinking as he stared at her panicked face curiously.

“Has he done something to you I should know about?” William asked sternly feeling even more protective then before. Maddie choked in horror.

“No! Little brother it’s nothing to worry about just a chance meeting.” Maddie lied through her teeth, emphasizing his inferior age hoping it would end his protective questioning. Instead she asked her own questions.

“What did he want from you? How did he know who you were? He did not know who I was until I told him.”

“He did not know who I was either although he worked out we were related fairly quickly once he saw my eyes. He’s a clever one I’ll give him that much. He simply came out with the question ‘do any of you know a Madeline East?’ at the card table as if it was an everyday question. No one even batted an eyelid but it shocked me to the core. One of the most powerful men in London, no England, knows my sister, my bigger supposedly more responsible sister and I have to hear it from him!”

“I didn’t think it mattered, I thought he would simply forget about it the next day.” She defended herself desperately.

“Well he didn’t.” William retorted quickly trying not to shout. “Do you have any idea how stupid I felt being questioned about your likes and friend etcetera? When I had no idea you even knew the name!”

Madeline stared at him horrified as he began to shout slightly, forgetting it was late at night.

“Shush!” she begged him desperately scared of the wild look in his eyes. His face softened slightly after a moment and he lowered his voice.

“I’m sorry Maddie but didn’t you see how scary he can be and it was embarrassing looking so green. Everyone thinks I’m green because of my age and I’m sick of it. I need as much respect as I can get especially with everyone holding our past against us.”

“I didn’t finding him frightening.” Madeline told him after a moments thought. William’s eyes flashed and he stuck out at her with the back of his hand, catching her cheek and sending her head flying back into the hard wooden head board of the bed. Maddie whimpered in pain.

“Do not belittle me sister I may be younger than you but I will not have you imply that I am weak.” He growled and stalked out of the room. Maddie let a few tears leak from her eyes as soon as the door was closed after him and sank back on her pillows carefully. Gingerly she touched the back of her head and grimaced as she brought her hand away covered in dark sticky blood. He was turning into their father she realised with a slight flash of panic. Well she would not be weak she determined, unlike her mother. Just look where that had gotten her- dead. With a regretful sigh for the past and the present Maddie let her eyes drift shut and gradually fell into a dreamless fitful sleep, despite her throbbing head.

~

Madeline fell back on her pillows with a gasp of pain when she sat up too fast the next morning. Pain shot through her head and her eyes ached. She touched the back of her head gingering wincing as her fingers probed the cut. It was deep and crusted with her own dried blood; the thought made her feel ill all over again. She sat up again, slowly and carefully this time and looked down in dismay at her blood soaked pillow. Hastily she stripped off the stained case and hid it in the bottom of her wardrobe until she could burn it on her fire later. She selected a dress from the wardrobe while she was there and placed it on the bed. Then she realised the actual pillow itself was blood soaked too and she could not burn that too. Instead she buried it under her other pillows. Behind a screen in one corner of her room a bath was waiting for her and Madeline stripped off her night gown eagerly, hoping the hot water would ease her tired body and aching head. Gently and carefully she dabbed at the wound amongst her inky black hair till it was clean and her hair no longer tangled with blood. Maddie combed her fingers through her waist long tresses slowly till all the tangles were gone then plaited it while it was still wet. Standing in the now chill water she wrapped an awaiting towel around her and stepped out towards her dressing table. Perched on the small velvet covered stool Maddie wound the plait around into a bun holding it in place with hair grips she was careful didn’t touch the wound. She ignored her pale reflection devoid of all colour except for a dark bruise blossoming on her cheek bone. She’d simply have to lie about its origins. Just a towel was cold now and she dressed quickly in the simple navy blue dress she had selected. Maddie’s stomach growled menacingly at her and she looked down at it with a small half hearted smile.

“I suppose you’re right it is breakfast time.” She said to herself, walking into the hallway.

“Talking to yourself Madeline?” Lucinda asked as they approached each other in the hall. “It is the first sign of madness or so they say.”

“Yes they do.” Maddie replied with a sigh not voicing her real thoughts that it was everyone else that was mad not her. First Lord Ellis Dexter and now her brother, although her brother had always been a little eccentric she decided. “Good morning Aunt Lucinda.” She greeted her god mother looking at her with a smile plastered on her face.

“Goodness gracious child what have you done to your face?” Lucinda gasped.

“I walked into my wardrobe door,” Madeline covered for her brother.

“Really sister how careless.” Came his voice from behind her. She jumped slightly and turned to scowl at him.

“Of course you wouldn’t know the know the first thing about carelessness would you?” she retorted sarcastically. Now it was his turn to scowl. Lucinda watched them with concern. They used to be so close, she thought but these days they were drifting further and further apart and it was not Madeline’s fault she knew but there was nothing she could do about William. He opened his mouth to say anything back but their god mother beat him too it.

“Shush!” she chided them. “You two are no longer children so stop acting so. Come, breakfast will be cold by the time we get there at this rate.”

Its much worse then childish behaviour, Maddie decided pensively, if only she knew the reality.

 



© 2009 Jules


Author's Note

Jules
oooo a darker chapter! what do you think please tell me! :D jules x

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

awesom

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow its really getting better

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! What an awesome chapter! Once again, very descriptive and detailed! I do suggest that you space out your paragraphs more and such. I'm finding this book very interesting! :D

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 24, 2009


Author

Jules
Jules

wouldn't you like to know!



About
Hi I'm Jules! i am 19 and have writen seriously since about senior school. i will read literally anything although not erotica and i'm not big on poetry :S i love romance stories and am a sucker f.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jules


Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by Jules


Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Jules



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Jules