Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Leah-Carla Gordone
"

About Em-Gee (Motorgirl)

"

THE MOTORGIRL MEMOIRS (EXCERPT):

She did not fit in with the young, “hip” crowd. The kids with their “I Hate My Parents” trip. The Ravers and the Punks. They wore wide-legged Jenco jeans and florescent, beaded bracelets. Or plaid tapered pants and studded leather wristbands. Simple® sneakers...or Doc Martens. They hung out by The Green, the grassy island in the middle of town. They occupied the benches surrounding it and pretty much dominated this particular area. They “rolled.” They “shroomed.” They smoked pot. They dropped acid or dropped out of school. They had no sense of purpose and didn’t seem to care. They were simply unaware. They listened to harsh, lifeless music. Was it cool to whine about being a loser and asking someone to kill you? Their music offered no compassion to those genuinely searching for answers. Some came from well-to-do families, and so, they were rebelling. They were only in Woodstock because they had to be. She might have mustered up the teen angst necessary to find favor among these kids...but, truth be told, she was all sold out of that brand. Then again, she was no kid.

 
There were also the local Rainbow Children—hacky sacking, hemp weaving and spare-changing with their puppies. The Rastafarians and the Beatniks. Musicians playing various instruments of string and/or percussion. They kicked it, right on the grass. Blankets strewn—and dirty, bare feet. They floated in and out and amongst one another throughout the day and well into the night. She was most comfortable in their midst. But then, many of them were the sons and daughters of original Woodstock Hippies. She figured she qualified to move in their circle.

The entire scene made for quite a show, as tourist onlookers ogled. It was summertime and the snooty ones were in Woodstock to shop and dine. She was there because her parents owned a groovy little old trailer on a small piece of property not far from town. The trailer had been purchased by her folks back in the 60s. She was an only child from New York City with the intention of spending her entire summer upstate. For the first time, she considered herself "living" in Woodstock. It was precisely this summer that she began playing the guitar. She was teaching herself, and her songwriting was moving to a new level. The year before had been the discovery of the piano: one that had been sleeping for quite some time in her mother's brownstone living room back in New York...Now don't get me wrong—her mother could play a mean Claire De Lune, but only once in a blue moon.

The girl had written over 30 songs on the old upright and was becoming a real musician. She'd been singing professionally since childhood but this was different. Now, she was playing musical instruments—something she never would have dreamed of. In the beginning she just kept to herself, playing her guitar on The Green, all the while hoping to meet someone she could relate to... This is the true story of Em-Gee (MG as in MOTORGIRL)...Em-Gee is me.



© 2009 Leah-Carla Gordone


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

What an awesome beginning! Absolutely fantastic, good use of the english language. You make her very interesting right off the bat, and shed light on how stupid most teens are this day which is something quite refreshing to see.
Looks very promising to me! ^-^

and welcome to writerscafe too BTW. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 31, 2009


Author

Leah-Carla Gordone
Leah-Carla Gordone

Columbus, OH



About
As a singer-songwriter, Leah-Carla Gordone has received critical acclaim for her performance intensity and compelling stage presence. Now she is the author of a new book The Motorgirl Memoirs: Adventu.. more..

Writing