Edit

The Best and Worst.

December 6, 2013 at 4:36pm

When we got to our spot, he sat on one of the larger fallen over trees. I set the blanket out and laid down on it. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the warm sun on my face. I heard him make his way over and lay down next to me. "I remember," he said quietly.
I knew immediately what he was referring to. I sat up on my elbow and looked at him. He had his arm over his eyes. When I didn't respond, he looked at me. "I meant it then and I mean it now. I love you and it's the best and worst thing to happen to me." I didn't know what to say. That I felt the same way? That wouldn't help any. I truly hoped it had been the drink talking the other night and he wouldn't remember saying it. I very much remembered how my heart almost lept out of my chest when he said it. He turned his head away from me, as if he didn't like what he saw on my face.
"It's like I have been given the sun, but I am stuck inside. Never to feel it's warmth on my skin. Only peeking at it's beauty through closed windows. Do you know how hard it is not to brush my fingers along your skin, to run my hands through your hair, to feel your lips against mine?... And to watch some one else do these things to you, it feels like someone is kicking me in the gut. On my best days, I can barely handle it." His voice was thick with emotion.